Find a Dealer & Review

GoldenMotor.com

noob

Sep 26, 2008
Phoenix
i bought a raw "80cc" engine from zone8cycling.com.... never even had to contact them because the motor showed up 5 days after purchase. smooth install.. especially for my first build. took a total of about ten hours (i have absolutely no mechanical background) everything runs smooth and the only problems i have are self created. like not tightening the idler pulley enough and losing it five miles from home lol. i actually had to pedal : )
5 out of 5

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hey Walter F., I'm curious about your zoom buying experience. I ordered a motor last weekend and they said they shipped it out on Monday. However, the UPS tracking info still only says "billing info received." In other words, that's what it looks like when they haven't even picked it up yet.

Did you have a few days of that, or did you not check the tracking every few hours like I'm doing? :)

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Hey Walter F., I'm curious about your zoom buying experience. I ordered a motor last weekend and they said they shipped it out on Monday. However, the UPS tracking info still only says "billing info received." In other words, that's what it looks like when they haven't even picked it up yet.

Did you have a few days of that, or did you not check the tracking every few hours like I'm doing? :)
What did they tell you at Zoom as far as shipping time? I was told 7 to 10 days it arrived on the 10th day. Now that was from B.C. Canada to Connecticut, to you it should be sooner.

UPS doesn't give a stop by stop review until the last day when it's "out for delivery" Hope this helps Walter F.

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
just the normal stuff i guess, i get kits from DAX and they are packed well, obviously inventoried, and in great shape. I received this kit missing the wide crank kit, the engine mounting bolts were bent(because they sat on the bottom of the box partialy threaded with the weight of the engine on them) the exhaust pipe appeared to be rewelded at the manifold and the muffler then spray painted silver, horrible! then i look into the exhaust port and can see where the engine had been run before. The gearbox was packed full of grease(maybe a good thing). A call to them yesterday and they sent out the crank kit and new muffler. Was told they prob test ran the engine at the factory, that they couldnt sell a used engine! I guess we'll see once i crank it up. oh and none of the hardware had proper sizing, like a ten mm bolt would be loose in a 10mm wrench and a 9mm would be to small so when you cranked on a bolt to tighten it would just slip. A six pointed socket did work better. Just poor quality all around. If it runs well and the gearbox functions I will be a happy camper. I replace all the hardware on all my builds anyway. maybe i was expecting too much for 400 bucks! Time will tell, i'll keep you updated. At the same time im building a board track bike with a dax and thats keeping me sane!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I haven't fired up my motor from zoom yet. Took about 8 days to get here.

My only issue with them so far is they tell you it's shipped when they print the label. UPS doesn't pick it up for a few days.

The castings look clean and the motor looks good. The silver paint was scratched on one of the covers, but that's no biggie. Moving the clutch lever by hand was super easy. The nuts on the studs look much better than the ones on my old motor. Much thicker. Looks like this might be one of those 70cc motors with 6mm head studs. I can't tell and I haven't checked in detail, but they look smaller than my old motor.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
As a small-time builder (only avg. 3 builds per month), i'm just looking for decent kits at the lowest price. without having to worry i'll get ripped off. thats why i stay far away from Rev.Cy. and BGF. (i didnt name names... you figure it out)

WITH THAT SAID.....In no particular order:

KINGSMOTORBIKES: by far, the best bushing motors i've ever had. 3/4 gallon fuel tanks. (1/2gal now) of course, this is before their kits went to wrist-pin roller bearings :(. have over 15,000 miles on one of my 70cc's. no joke.

EDIT: if you want bushing motors, i dont think they have them anymore, but contact them. same with the 3/4gal tank...maybe just a piece of history, as well.

hardware good. dished sprocket...thats a plus.
ship time/price was good. dont bother trying to reach them by phone....just email.

BLUECOLLARBIKES: fastest shipping yet. tries to get kits to people as cheaply as he can. free t-shirt.
bob's the man, when it comes to phone calls....he'll bend your ear as long as you let him ;).
powerking kits. there was a time, when powerking was crap. they have really stepped up the quality.

DAX: rock-solid, dependable motors. Dax motors were the first to use 8mm head bolts instead of 6mm, long before the others caught up. good hardware. long exhaust (thats good), instead of the short-style with a flat bottom most other kits are using.

with DAX, you know what you're getting each time. other kits often change motors/hardware/paint/etc., so you never know whats really coming in the box until you open it.

Duane is always happy to help over the phone, and will return your call if you leave a message.

SPOOKY TOOTH CYCLES: Roland has always hooked me up properly. Knows his stuff, and has the patience to teach the un-teachable (me). Let's not forget the rides and rallys he organizes.

POWERKINGSHOP (eBay): got a powerking 70cc kit w/free shipping for $139. how can you beat that?

LIVEFASTMOTORS: got a long chopper-pipe exhaust. chrome. price/shipping time was okay.
they really need to come down on their motorkit prices. i like trying new motors, but i wont go as far as to spend an extra $200 just to test one.

BIKEBERRY: the first time i spoke w/someone, they gave me the impression they had powerking motorkits, but when i purchased one, turns out they're 'Raw' motors.
anyway, the price was very good and good shipping time. good hardware. i'm a big fan of the dished sprocket, and there it was.

ZOOMBICYCLES: and powerkingshop, are the same entity (Ruihong Enterprises). I got a Powerking Limited kit shipping included for around $140. My kit was shipped the very next day. Thats great.
John also threw in some wrist-pin bushings for me to retro-fit, because i dont like roller bearings.

SICK BIKE PARTS: got 3 blem dual-pull brake levers. the 'blem' part of the levers, are too minor to even mention.

cost was very nice. $8 each. here's the kicker.....i placed the order on the 16th, and they got here today (19th). thats FAST.

you know, shipping time is a major deciding factor with, not just myself, but many people.
even if a package is en route for over a week, it is of some comfort to know that it's on the truck.

GASBIKE.NET: got 2 black stallion 70cc kits. good power, right out of the box. good hardware. dished sprocket. cost/shipping time good. thank GAWD they've brought back the 3/4 gal fuel tank.
EDIT FOR GASBIKE.NET: purchased a 4stroke kit (Storm...Huasheng) in january and installed it last weekend. after about 100 miles the gearbox was fried....wouldnt propel the bike forward. spoke w/service guy David last thursday. since it was still under warranty, he said he would ship a new transmission. he said to "weld the drum to the center bolt" ???? wouldnt that delete the clutch action and make it a direct-drive? also said i needed to "pedal to get bike going and then ease into throttle. that i didnt do, with the original gearbox....didnt think i needed to. whats the purpose of having a centrifugal clutch, if a guy has to pedal first? lesson learned. i guess. ANYWAY, i have sent numerous emails/calls asking for a tracking number, or at least an idea of when the tranny will ship, with no reply. gonna try to get ahold of David tomorrow between the hrs of 11am to 1pm PST.
final judgement of gasbike.net is hereby suspended.
GASBIKE EDIT: ok, here's the Deal: if you need tech help, ask for david. anything else, ask for Lorenzo (good luck getting ahold of him).
i never got a single email or message reply.
david sent me a new transmission. on the backside where the trans hooks up with clutch, i welded the drum to the bolt/bolt to nut.
riding hard for a week and all is well.
switched to a 44-tooth sprocket.
gasbike.net is recommended, but David and Lorenzo seem to be the only ones worth talking to there.

Last edited:

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Wow Im reading these posts and it seems like I got a steal. I bought a 50cc Raw kit and paid a little less than $140 including Tax and shipping to CT from California. Whole thing works great, a freind of mine got one too and his has the same story. Zero complaints about the product from me and its hard to beat that price. They also have the 80ccs for about 15 bucks more.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Lets try to keep the chit chat down and leave reviews and vendors :)

Exsamples.......
Add any vendor that you know of that is not posted in here:

Leave a review of the vendor you dealt with:

Was it shipped in a timely manner:

Was the kit complete and boxed correctly:

Did you receive good friendly service:

Did you have any problems....if you did. What did the vendor do, or not do to correct the problem:

Any advice for a newbie looking for a vendor:

Thanks Everyone....really appreciate it (^)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
just an update on my zoombicycles motor...

I still haven't run it, but I was going to notch the piston today, and I noticed that on this motor you don't need to - the piston fully clears the intake port. Also, it came with a nice little dab of grease already on the clutch gears. Thought that was a nice touch.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Wow Im reading these posts and it seems like I got a steal. I bought a 50cc Raw kit and paid a little less than $140 including Tax and shipping to CT from California. Whole thing works great, a freind of mine got one too and his has the same story. Zero complaints about the product from me and its hard to beat that price. They also have the 80ccs for about 15 bucks more.
Sorry about that i forgot to mention i got the kit at handhelditems.com

erv h

Dec 15, 2008
union gap, wa
i ordered a motor kit from gas bike everthing in one box gas valve didnt work got new style fast service started & ran neat little package ill get another for my old 3 speed royce union & treck 4500 then my wife & son can ride

Jun 25, 2008
FAO Pablo - Sick Bike Parts SBP
Just wanted to say FANTASTIC!! Received a shifter kit here in blighty in record time! Well packaged and everything seems to be in order (haven't checked parts list but looks all there) so a BIG thank you to pablo and the crew at SBP and we look forward to buying in more to sell in the UK once we've "familiarised ourselves" i.e had a jolly good play!!

THANKS!!.wee.

Hill of Beans

Dec 22, 2008
Georgetown, SC
I read every post on this thread including the chit chat. Very informative.
Hoping to read more reviews about bikeberry.com, but apparently few have dealt with them.
I always appeciate the innovations and enthusiasm of Pablo (SBP) and DAX.
Spooky tooth has a great bike selection and good parts dept.
Wish a dealer in the US was offering up-graded kits similar to Chris Hill's approach.
Tom Hill