1st build and rough running

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
I'm almost done with my 1st build after a lot of trial and error and a couple snapped chains I think Im finally there . My motor runs Quite rough though . Its sputters at just about any speed and at high speeds it bogs down . can anyone shed some light on this for me

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=374521095946817&set=a.374520882613505.88408.100001667880870&type=3&theater[/IMG]

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I thought your rear hub blew? I guess you were able to find a replacement?

Need some more info, what kind of motor, what modifications (if any) have you made, how many miles, what is your fuel/oil ratio (assuming it is a 2 stroke), etc.

My WAG would be you are running rich, both on the needle and main jet, but that info is pulled completely out of me arse... lol

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
Yupper ! My hub did blow and I haven't found a replacement as of yet . At least not one that Isn't going to cost me more than I paid for the bike . I Bought a 26 inch rear wheel and raped the front wheel off my old mongoose . Its still actually looks pretty good .
I am running a 2 stroke and my fuel mixture is to manufacturers spec's I don't remember but I think It was 8oz's oil to a gallon of gas . I'd have to look it up . I'm an old fart with a short memory . lol . As far as modification's the only thing I've done motor and drive train wise is get rid of the chain tensioner . It Didn't matter what I did to it it kept throwing the chain at high and low speed causing me to brake 2 of them . The motor I'm running is a 66/80 starfire with somewhere around 3 hours on it .

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
16/1 mix is too rich, I tried the same with my first bike. I start all new bikes at 24/1 now with good success, look at your spark plug porcelain area it should be light to medium brown. Since elevation makes a big difference you may have to work on jetting also.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I agree with Maurtis, try lowering your needle 1 notch.
If rich at full throttle then means you need a smaller jet.
But wait till break in is over when you switch to a regular oil ratio, things may get better, when more gas gets into the cylinder compared to oil.

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
Thanks guy's . I'm going to change my mixture before I head off to work and see if that does the trick . I would hate to find out there's a major problem . I have the only motorized bike in town and I love riding it .