stock tank gas to oil?

GoldenMotor.com

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
Ok so sometimes I dont have the money for a gallon So I was wondering how much gas does a stock tank hold? And If I filled that tank up how much oil do I put into it for 100:1?cvlt1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You really shouldn't mix the fuel in the bike's tank. It should be mixed in a seperate container and shaken well before filling the tank. This is because the oil being heavier than the gasoline will settle to the bottom and make its way to the carburetor where it can foul things up. Save a few bucks, buy a gallon of gas and mix your choice of oil in a gallon can.

If you're using Opti-2 or another blend and want the 100:1 ratio you'll want 1.3oz to one gallon of gasoline. Make sure the oil you're using is formulated for that 100:1 ratio.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Ok so sometimes I dont have the money for a gallon So I was wondering how much gas does a stock tank hold? And If I filled that tank up how much oil do I put into it for 100:1?cvlt1
You didn't mention the tank size, but this will work for ANY tank:

Fill your tank with gas (only), exactly how much you need. Scratch mark your tank or make a small dipstick for exact measurement. Disconnect your fuel line and drain the gas into a measured container. That will tell you EXACTLY how much gas is in the tank @ the scratch mark or dipstick. Measure the amount in ounces, then divided by 100.

That is the exact amount of Opti-2 oil you need for the mix. Be sure it's oil made to mix 100:1, or you'll damage your engine.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
When you're out cruising scan the ditches for bottles and cans. There's a few places I ride where I'm almost guaranteed to pick up a buck's worth (if I check weekly). It only takes around $7 to fill my gas can (which fills my tank full twice), so I can cover half the cost weekly when I slow down to look.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I use 2 gascans one 1gallon and one 5gallon
1 gallon gets the premix only and when the one gallon gets empty then I fill with the gas from the 5 gallon. Its getting harder to find ethonol free gas down here where I am so guying 5 gallons at a time is a lot less hassle for me being I have to go out of my way to get it from where I normally go.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I don't advise doing this, but it's been working well for me for several months.

I mix oil and fuel @ the gas station. If this method was good enough for Yamaha mopeds decades ago, it's good enough for me.

I started using Opti-2 oil for the last three 4-liter fillups. An ounce of Opti-2 is stored in the 18 oz aluminum bottle in my bike's cage.
When the tank is down to 6 oz or so, I shut the petcock and add oil. Then I pedal to the nearest gas station and add 3 quarts of 87 octane gas. I usually pedal for a block, then stop and open the petcock. Then I start up and motor away.

No adverse effects so far. The Tanaka engine runs better than ever, and its sparkplug tip looks chocolate brown

I'm also assembling my own oil-dispensing system. A measured amount of Opti-2 gets pumped into a clear reservoir atop the fuel tank. At a designated time, the oil is injected into the tank. Then gas is pumped/sloshed in @ 100:1fuel/oil mix.

I'm not recommending my method to anyone. JMO, a good/satisfactory mix CAN be done at the gas pump.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I ride a Stella (Indian Vespa) with a Piaggio 200cc engine and tranny. I have a bottle for oil that, when you squeeze it measures out an amount of oil to be added to the gas tank. The oil bottle lives in my scooter's glove box. Sta-Bil comes in a bottle like that as does Craftsman chain saw oil.

Many years ago I had a Sears moped (Puch). One time I put the oil in first and it did go right to the carb. It took me a while to get that all sorted out. Should have put the gas in first.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I ride a Stella (Indian Vespa) with a Piaggio 200cc engine and tranny. I have a bottle for oil that, when you squeeze it measures out an amount of oil to be added to the gas tank. The oil bottle lives in my scooter's glove box. Sta-Bil comes in a bottle like that as does Craftsman chain saw oil.

Many years ago I had a Sears moped (Puch). One time I put the oil in first and it did go right to the carb. It took me a while to get that all sorted out. Should have put the gas in first.
lol, that happened to me the very first time I mixed it up at the gas station. I had to flip the bike upside down, and the oil in the carb and lines returned to the tank. And of course, the ratio was way off, so I drained the tank and tried again.