PVC Fuel Tank

GoldenMotor.com

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Fuel tanks cost about $30 shipped.

For a lesser price is it possible to make a PVC fuel tank?
Will PVC hold up on fuel and 2 stroke oil mix good?
Will it dissolve over time and get mixed up with the gas?

Thanks.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Many folks have made fuel tanks out of PVC.
Some seal the inside with POR15 or Kreem fuel tank liner as an extra precaution.
Other folks do not seal it and just make darned sure that it is well glued together and have not had issues with it melting or leaking either.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
How much would it cost to build one?

What do you call those things to which fuel lines connect? (I need to know to look it up in Lowe's website).
Also what kind of gas caps will work?
I'm trying to build one for under $15.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Those things are called petcocks or fuel valves. A small ball valve from a home improvement store will work just fine.
The actual hose attaches to a hose barb.
You will need to thread the hose barb onto the valve yourself. Use yellow thread tape to seal the threads. A PVC threaded end cap with a super teeny tiny vent hole drilled through it will work fine as a gas cap.
Build it all for less than $15, I highly doubt it.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Thing is I already have all the glue and stuff. PVC isn't all that expensive.

I can get a PVC Pipe and caps cheap at Lowes.

AND I have some left over PVC pipes laying around, except they are like 2" in diameter.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
2" is fine, the tank will be a bit long if you want a decent capacity though.

Yow will need a drill to make a hole and a pipe thread tap to thread the hole for the petcock.
The most common size used for this application is 1/8 NPT threaded ball valve.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
The most I will probably travel is 10 miles a day.
Other than that I just cruise around my neighborhood.

I bought that $4 petcock off of Dax. Think it will work?

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I tried to fabricate a tank out of sheet PVC it was thin stuff about 1/16 or 1/8" and made it with the water proof pvc cement and JB weld. After about a day it started softening and eventually melted though the areas that were coated with the waterproof cement seemed to hold up just fine. I thought about making a tank and coating the inside completely with the waterproof cement (whew it smells) but just eventually got a moped tank. Now I have no worries, it's not exactly like what I want but it's better than the P-nut tank.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I would recommend using "Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue" as a cement.
I don't know if it will work, but it is extremely aggressive and is what I would try first.

The $4 petcock from Dax will work fine, but it is not a 1/8 NPT thread.
I cannot recall what thread it is. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Yeah, but I can probably still drill a hole and thread it so that it fits through.

As for the cement you just rub some of it all over the inside of the PVC pipe and let it sit and dry?

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Hey would a fuel tank work to make out of a metal pipe?

Maybe that would be the better material to use.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. I will probably buy a new pipe because that one is a little rusty.

Attachments

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Hey andrew is saw that thread before.

Did you coat your tank in any way so that the fuel does not eat up the PVC pipe?

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
some people have i didnt i saw few posts were people said even without doing anything to the inside their tanks did fine after a year or so im not overly concerned with it at the moment. so far ive had gas sitting in it for a week and realy no complaints on it

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Thing is it does eat it up slowly over time. It's unnoticeable, but the plastic will eventually get in your mixture I believe.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i wana say 10 for the pipe 3 bucks a cap 4 for the glue and maybe another 4 for the nozzle and lid so maybe 24 bones i had considered sealing it but saw a few threads on were people hadnt and it help fine for them for months so im gona roll the dice on it i do plan to put a 4 inch pipe size tank on the rear though give me a couple extra onces im hopeing we will see though .

u guys got me all paranoid about it rotting out what a bummer hmm to search engnes i go .
xct2