My review of the GT5_A Superhawk

GoldenMotor.com

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
6MM studs can still be decent if they're made from good, strength rated steel.
Furthermore, the heads on these kits are pretty awful even on the lower compression kits. I keep advocating the use of the puch heads, as they have a couple hundred percent more cooling area, and good squish bands.

If you want to lower compression a bit and cool down your motor, here's what you do. Raise the exhaust port 1mm, by using a slightly thicker base gasket, or port it. This will lower your compression 2 ways: The trapped volume will be less and your head will be 1MM higher. lap the head and top end of the jug flat and use just one head gasket. If it's still too hot, get a variable timing magnet and retard the ignition 1 degree.

Replace those studs! Get grade 5 or 8 threaded rod from mcmaster, and loc tite them in their holes. The chineese studs strip if you look at them crosseyed because they're unrated. Sometimes you'll get lucky, mostly you will not.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
like he said, 6mm studs aren't the problem, it's the cheap quality of them. i replace mine with allthread with a higher strength rating and never had a problem.

morini's run 6mm studs, i'm pretty sure.

the engines i've had with 8mm studs are no better. i think they're actually worse. they're soft, and i've had them stripped right out of the box due to them hammering the acorn nuts on at the factory.

personally, i replace the 6mm studs, washers, and nuts. in fact, i'm gonna go buy some more right now...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i can't.

the engine i built for a friend keeps blowing head gaskets, and the plug, while looking good at the electrode, is bluing on the outside from the excessive heat.

the only way i've been able to keep these engines from blowing head gaskets and keeping them cool is by leaving them in the box in a dark corner of my workshed.

after i move into a new place with a garage on the first, i'm gonna build one for myself and see what i need to do to make it work.

for now, i'll just keep repairing my buddies bike till we either give up and buy an older kit, or it blows up.

i think these engines are failures on many levels, and i'd personally like to tell Don Grubee that he's single-handedly destroying motorbicycling as we know it...

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Okay, i changed my mind the GT5-A is crap. early this morning i went on a kinda long ride. on the way back i heard that wap wap sound of a leaking head gasket. you know i replaced the studs with the SBP set, locktighted them in, and guess what - maby cuz the compression or cheap case metal. 2 of the studs were riped from the case. i know they werent overtorqued, i had them at 10 ft pounds on a good craftsman t wrench.
Unbelievable, no actually believable. the wost part trhere is not enough case to try and retap to 8mm or do a heli coil. The case material is total junk.
well now i got a bunch of spare parts.
Its a good thing i still have and put back in my original 58cc motor. it dosnt have as much power as the gt5-a but i guess what good is power if it dont run.
well that project didnt work out. like they say "live and learn" right?
now i got to figure what the next project will be..
it is fun working on them but it is funner when the run! LOL LOL

My conclusion is it would be a great motor but i think they just went really low grade on the case and head material to probably save money and in turn ruined the motor

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
So!
I brain stormed on it for a while and came up with this Idea to try a different Head!
I had a GT5 Slant Head and I used 3 gaskets, next time I work on it I will try 2 or 1 gaskets.
Anyhow!!! It runs better with a different Head it does not over heat.

(So The Super Rat Thin Heads w/ Small and Not enough Fins is the problem)!

Cold plug!
Run it rich!
Permatex Copper High Temp Gasket Sealer Spray Can!
Another issue solved!

Man I impress myself sometimes!
You See, I used the motor so I was like, stuck with it. I had to make it work.
One more thing?
I found that if you use a muffler clamp on the front mount around the bike frame and drill two holes threw the bracket and threw the top of the front mount on the engine and tap it. It holds the engine very nice and stiff, eliminates the vibration a high %. You can rev it all the way in 1st gear and hardly feel the vibration. So the front of the engine has to be stiff mounted on the frame real good, this was proven to myself through several of my MB Builds w/ a shift kit and custom fitted and welded expansion chamber set-up. And of course port the intake and exhaust manifolds. If you want your engine to breathe the best it can to get the most power and mpg out of it.
Hope this helps someone!
I wish you good times, fun and safety.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
The problem with my motor was not overheating. it literally was cool to the touch 2 min after i shut it down even after a long ride. The case material is bad. I even tried to tap the holes to 1/4 inch and 7mm and the metal just crumbled. I swear ive never seen such crappy material to make a motor case. Maby a bad cast,but it reminds me of the old pot metal - once it breaks it just crumbles.
I am begining to feel like they kinda do this kind of crap on purpose. No pride in workmanship but keeps rice on their tables.LOL

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
And hey Mapbike, i just got the motor now that i can practice on this winter. Even though i would not use it , it would be good to try the porting, transfer ports ,piston skirting. it would give me a good idea how the metal grinds and reacts. and who knows if it works out maby ill just buy a new case and try the motor again.
Anyway thanks for the tool info.
its raining here today so its reading no riding.... bummer :(

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
my buddy brought the bike back sunday, same problems, blown head gasket.

head was warped again, and the spark plug was loose...
Question.. how does your buddy treat the machine overall when using it? If he runs it with the throttle only off or wide open, with little or no use of the low and mid range it might be a factor.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
he's a pretty conservative rider. he mostly just rides it to work and back everyday, maybe 5-6 miles a day.

i, on the other hand, have a starfire GT4 that i beat the heck out of everyday, constantly run it at full throttle for hours at a time, and it's two and a half years old.

there's a HUGE difference in quality between the starfire and the skyhawk factories. i don't know why Grubee decided to go with the crappier one.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You're very welcome richirich

Best wishes on whatever you end up doing this winter.....

Peace, map

And hey Mapbike, i just got the motor now that i can practice on this winter. Even though i would not use it , it would be good to try the porting, transfer ports ,piston skirting. it would give me a good idea how the metal grinds and reacts. and who knows if it works out maby ill just buy a new case and try the motor again.
Anyway thanks for the tool info.
its raining here today so its reading no riding.... bummer :(

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
yeah this MB is great. I lves in a somewhat small town and although there are a few MB in town , id have to say mine is the coolest. its no way near as good as some of the bikes ive seen here (i have pics in my profile and a video somewhere) but id say pretty good for a noob. LOL
The coolest thing that i have ecountered is when i come out of the hardware store and another little store is a group of old guys looking like the picture of the shade tree mechanics standing around my bike, You can almost see in there eyes" why didnt i think of that".
Im hooked , i won't be giving up this hobby any time soon.
RIDE ON>>>

Last edited: