Dream bike..........

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I've been on this message board for awhile and I've got to read about and see some really *way* cool bikes......if money was NO object-what kind of bicycle frame, componets and engine would you use to build your ultimate motor bicycle?

Me?

I'd go with this bike....

Complete Bikes | Cross Check Complete

I'd have disc brake bosses welded on and run these wheels

Speedcity - wheels - road & triathlon - Mavic

and use a Kings hub adapter and chainring so I could run a Dax GT50R on one of his rear mounted chain drive set ups and run a rear disc brake.

I'd swap out the drop handlebars for a set of these carbon bars ...

Easton EC70 XC Handlebar 2011 at Price Point

And go with a full Shimano XTR groupset just to be obnoxious :)

Shimano XTR M980 Groupset With Hydraulic Brakes - 10sp Triple - Groupsets - MTB - Total Cycling

That would put me at roughly 5 to 6 grand.....anybody top that?

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
The Crosscheck isn't really considered a racing bike.....it's a steel all-around do anything bike. I used to own one and at various times I had it set up as a mountain bike (it has huge tire clearance), a touring bike and a cyclocross bike.

If you put carbon handlebars and a carbon seatpost on one of those...they ride like butter. It would be super easy to set one of these up as an all-day cruiser type of ride.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If money were no object, I'd have Pat or Venice replicate the frame of a Riedel Imme R100. Those things are rare as a chicken's wisdom teeth. But they were such a fantastic little bit of engineering! The front fork and rear swing-arm were cantilever. The front and rear wheels were interchangeable. It had front and rear suspension. It was a fantastic little bike.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My dream bike would be simple and a little bit temperamental. Something like a solid Felt Slater with disc brakes and an old Harley Panhead for the powerplant. Clean and simple. Ah-huh!

dnut

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
I've been on this message board for awhile and I've got to read about and see some really *way* cool bikes......if money was NO object-what kind of bicycle frame, componets and engine would you use to build your ultimate motor bicycle?

Me?

I'd go with this bike....

Complete Bikes | Cross Check Complete

I'd have disc brake bosses welded on and run these wheels

Speedcity - wheels - road & triathlon - Mavic

and use a Kings hub adapter and chainring so I could run a Dax GT50R on one of his rear mounted chain drive set ups and run a rear disc brake.

I'd swap out the drop handlebars for a set of these carbon bars ...

Easton EC70 XC Handlebar 2011 at Price Point

And go with a full Shimano XTR groupset just to be obnoxious :)

Shimano XTR M980 Groupset With Hydraulic Brakes - 10sp Triple - Groupsets - MTB - Total Cycling

That would put me at roughly 5 to 6 grand.....anybody top that?
Never heard of anyone using XTR on a road style bike Ultegra which is XTR but road style is what you would want IMO

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm building my dream bike right now. I really don't want anything more that this build, being everything I want in one bike: a light motorcycle, a detachable sidecar and a conversion to three wheeler tadpole It is the subject of the thread "Indian Tadpole" and is underway.

The frame is ready minus engine mounts... a Worksman News Boy with the front down tube removed and in it's place a sweeping down tube from a 50's ladies Schwinn to give room for the engine. The power plant is a 98CC 2 stroke vintage German model 1932 Fitchers Sachs with a 2 speed transmission. It was used on many light German motorcycles before WWII and is very reliable. It has a built in lighting coil, so is everything I want in an engine.

I have built the wheels using 1950's Schwinn rims with HD spokes. Up front is a beefy moped drum brake hub and in back a Bendix coaster brake hub. Vintage seat rebuilt in elk hide. It will get an in-frame coffin shaped copper gas tank under the supervision of Tinsmith. Front leaf spring fork is being made by my friend Curtis Fox.

The sidecar is made from a Grumman canoe and is done, minus a new sidecar frame and mounts being made by Fasteddy. The sidecar is beautiful and the same length as the bike. It should be capable of carrying an adult passenger, but is mostly for my dog, Aaniimoosh. I always wanted a light motorcycle with a sidecar. Now I'll have it.

The build is inspired by a 1909 Indian tri-car which was a factory made three wheeler with two wheels up front. My bike will be convertible, from two wheeled motorcycle to sidecar to tri-car... three bikes in one. Fasteddy has researched and started to build the spindles and front end for the tri-car. He is doing one for himself modeled after the earlier camel back Indian, a 1903.

Cool fenders and Indian head fender ornament are from a 1939 Hiawatha. Paint will be cream colored (Windsor white) with black accents and fenders. Handlebars and headlight, tail lights will be decided upon later. It will have copper jewel lights of some kind to go with the copper gas tank.

So this is my dream bike. I'm hoping by fall to have the bike running as a two wheeler with sidecar. Over the winter the gas tank and perhaps lights will be made. In the spring it all comes apart for paint. Next summer the tri- car front end should be done and ready. The tri-car mode will mostly be for parades and showing off.

When I was a kid my big brother said when he grew up he would have an Indian motorcycle with a sidecar and I could ride in the sidecar. He grew up and forgot about it. I never grew up and will have my Indian with sidecar. He can ride in the sidecar; I'm running the motorcycle. Ha! I invite you all to follow along on the build which will pick up momentum in another week or so with the arrival of Fasteddy from Vancouver. We'll be picking up the engines within two weeks and going full guns from there on into autumn.

Having a dream and being able to manifest it is a very cool thing. I feel sorry for people who have no dreams. Many thanks to all of you who have given me so much.
SB

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I'd go with a German/Swiss made Tout Terrain, the Silk Road:

tout-silkroad-mav.jpg

Stainless bolsters, dropouts, Rohloff 14 speed drive hub, Schmidt dynamo front hub, eccentric bottom bracket and tuck an EHO35 behind the seat.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Never heard of anyone using XTR on a road style bike Ultegra which is XTR but road style is what you would want IMO
Yeah, I know Ultegra is a road group, but I'd go with the mountain bike gruppo because of the abuse I'd be handing out to the bike:)

That's the beauty of the Cross-Check frame-it can do either road or mountain bike duties- it easily fits 2.1 29er mountain bike tires.

CrazyCatLady

Jun 21, 2011
Tampa Bay
Probably a Felt Revolver frame with triple clamp forks and clip-ons. A Honda GHX50 and Large Marge rims with drum brake hubs. I suppose I'd also need a lay back seat post so I didn't kill my back with those clip-ons, lol.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Reopening this thread.

Felt bike:

And Morini S6C.

If I don't buy a motorcycle I will build this.

Don't know how I would weld the engine mounts though...

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Yeah, I know Ultegra is a road group, but I'd go with the mountain bike gruppo because of the abuse I'd be handing out to the bike:)

That's the beauty of the Cross-Check frame-it can do either road or mountain bike duties- it easily fits 2.1 29er mountain bike tires.
I'm more of a Sram guy. :) And sometimes X9 is enough. :D

Last edited: