Sunshine Smile Of The Motorized Bicycle Gods

GoldenMotor.com

spacey

May 7, 2011
springfield, oh.
Good score today.

After a cupel weeks searching and scheming towards an affordable birthday bike. Interrupted by my two year old hot water heater craping out (venting problem, fixed myself ) and my forty year old heating system wanting its annual freon fix. Cost : $30. + service call last year. $130.+ sc. yesterday . ( Love these golden years ! ) . I thought my daydreams of cheep summer fun where dashed again.

To my surprise after only finding two m.b.'s locally ( pawnshop OCC, complete w/many barnyard welds and a nice Cranbrook for $300. w/ a very vague owner ) last night's late-night Craig's List search turned up an unfinished Murray cruiser w/48cc kit . Three years old but never ran ( owner lost interest ).

Only $150.00 . I can afford some modest upgrades , if it's not missing too many parts. Im picking it up later today. Pics & lots of nube questions forth coming.

Thanks to the forum for providing great information . I would never take a chance on buying a use project without the backing of all the collective experience you-all provide . Hopefully I'll be contributing soon.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Sunshine Smile Of The MB Gods

Good luck with your bike. If you need help or advice we're here for you. Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

spacey

May 7, 2011
springfield, oh.
Re: Sunshine Smile Of The MB Gods

Let the fun begin ... ( or the mb gods where laughing not smiling )

There is always a reason a deal's a deal and my Murray is the standard.
#1 Murray = cheep bikes ! (even if they are "american" made)
#2 No name Chines motors are junk ! ( I was for warned )
That aside for $75. I think I may have made out ok .

Bike : 26" Murray Westport . Cheep components , it might work but probably not for long .

Engine : tagged," Speedster Engine "Grade A" 2 stroke oil motor ," NT carb (oops all most forgot, Explorer gas tank decal ), supposedly 48cc but no way to tell .

Condition : engine ceased ( ring condensation repaired but need new torque wench ) .
Rear hub locked up, he didn't enlarge the sprocket hole or replace the break arm, tried to instal a rear wheel center stand but didn't modify the fender and chain guard mounts so the whole rear end was flapping in the breeze .

So ... The bike is now a bike, breaks and all ( I lowered the seat 2" by removing the center clamp from the seat and mounting the saddle with the rail clips mounted to the frame seat post clamp , rube goldburg-ish but it looks like it might work ) . The engine is freed but Im taking you all's advice and replacing all the studs and making some new gaskets before I try installing .

Here's hoping it goes well. So far so good .
Thanks again for all your useful experience !!

Last edited: