Would like to convert from 26" to 24", Assistance please

GoldenMotor.com

Cafe Racer

Jun 17, 2010
San Francisco
Hello,

Doing a build and would like to convert the 26" wheels to 24" wheels. Any recommended wheel builders in California? Would like to maintain the same hub/gearset. Is that an issue?

It doesnt seem like this would be a huge issue. Basically just going with a smaller diameter. But I am interested in your opinions.

Btw... still new to the forum and you guys are great! Its cool to be amongst so many real "gearheads" unlike some of the motorcycle forums that I belong too.

Looking forward to whatcha gots!

Miguel

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
I'm wondering what type of bike you are starting with, and why the smaller wheels?
I would think any good bike shop would have someone who could lace up the wheels.
One thing to consider is the possibility of needing a smaller crank or your pedals may be too close to the ground.
Also, unless you have a coaster brake, or discs, your brakes may not align.

Rod S

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
hubs are hubs. you can lace them into any other wheel, as long as they have the same amount of spoke holes as the new rims. a lot of older 24's and low end ones have less spokes. so whatever you're buying, make sure they have the same amount.

if you're changing out wheels, you can upgrade to thicker spokes, too. you might have to drill out the holes on your hubs, but most hubs have enough "meat" on them, and it's common practice.

another thing to think about is to just buy a whole new wheelset. once you buy the rims and spokes and pay someone to lace them up, you might be into it for more than a new set.

Worksman sells a 24" clincher wheelset with 11g spokes, rear coaster brake and a front drum brake hub for around $200. i think they have other hub options, too. (gears, etc...)

and Flightrisk above, has some valid points about cranks and brakes.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah as stated above, shorter cranks and brake set-ups (disc, drum & coaster). The only other thing I can think of is a bit more limited tire selection....that shouldn't be much of an issue though. Go for it!

Cafe Racer

Jun 17, 2010
San Francisco
Flight Risk and BAIRDCO...

Thanks for the great info. Something as simple as crank clearance issues never crossed my mind. As well, as the number of hoiles in the hub compared to the rim. Great info.

Thanks!