Mechanical speedometer

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
There's a really cool speedo on the bay right now. If I didn't have one already, I'd be on it like stink on a monkey. Item number 220534381327 , and no, it's not mine. Just trying to help a fellow MB'er find a speedometer.

mnerren

Apr 3, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
When mounting these vintage cable drive speedometers, do you take the nut off the right side of the front hub and then install the speedometerspeed sensor? I won't have enough threads to put the retaining nut back on if I don't. I'm thinking my shaft isn't long enough. LOL.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Although the gear assy is 1/4 to 3/8 wide, it only takes up aprox .040 of tha axle.(about 3 threads)
If you don't have 3 threads to spare, your axle is already two short.

Good
Luck

This is assuming you are installing the cheap mechanical speedo. Although I assume this is the case for all mech speedometers.

mnerren

Apr 3, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, the cheap one, $20 one that I got from Pirates cycles. Before I even started I can see that the axles comes right to the end of the nut, which means the axle is just long enough for just the wheel and nothing else. I guess I have a cheap speedo for sale really cheap now. Maybe I will just leave it on there to look cool and not install the cable.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Do the nuts go to the end of the axle on both sides? It would be a shame not to hook it up and miss all the frustration and head aches these cheap speedometers give you.
They can be somwhat accurate but it takes a lot of TLC.
Axles are cheap, don't let that stop you.

Later
Russ

Yes, the cheap one, $20 one that I got from Pirates cycles. Before I even started I can see that the axles comes right to the end of the nut, which means the axle is just long enough for just the wheel and nothing else. I guess I have a cheap speedo for sale really cheap now. Maybe I will just leave it on there to look cool and not install the cable.

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
Finding a longer axle that fits your bike and bearings may be a bit of a challenge. The new cheap speedos' drive assembly is actually fatter than the old ones. They were metal and the new are plastic. Short shafts are a common problem for many of us [:). To make the new plastic speedo work, I had to grind out some of the bulk around the center hole so it would fit down over the hub, both to allow the nut to go on and to allow the little shaft to reach into the spokes (the shaft, luckily, was metal, as I needed to 'rebend' that too to work). The excess plastic around the center is not stregth-critical. And if you are a little shy on threads, if you can get 75% on each end with a little LocTite, you'll be ok...unless you have a quick-release, and then LocTite is kinda a bad idea. Good luck

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
You can also try turning out the left side inner nut that is on the inside of your fork, then taking up the slack on the right side inner nut, this might give you enough room to install speedo, that is if you have enough thread to work with. I was able to gain about a 1/4 inch on right side by doing this. I also got lucky and scored a retro speedo made by Stewart and Werner in the 70s much more accurate and needle doesnt fly around all over. Them cheapos are not designed for high speed and vibration. Good luck, hey they look cool when your parked.

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I had to laugh at your last sentance. Reminded me of the older Harleys. They wern't that good for long run trips and they constantly leaked oil but looked great parked in front of the BAR.

You can also try turning out the left side inner nut that is on the inside of your fork, then taking up the slack on the right side inner nut, this might give you enough room to install speedo, that is if you have enough thread to work with. I was able to gain about a 1/4 inch on right side by doing this. I also got lucky and scored a retro speedo made by Stewart and Werner in the 70s much more accurate and needle doesnt fly around all over. Them cheapos are not designed for high speed and vibration. Good luck, hey they look cool when your parked.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I had one of the cheap speedometers that is being discussed here and it lasted a whole 16.5 Miles before the needle flew off the little shaft and the internal guts just crapped out, they will not take the vibration or the 25-35MPH speeds, I sent mine back and my money was refunded, I ordered one of the wireless digital speedometers off e-bay for about $4.00 and it has worked great for 207 miles now, it reads about 2 MPH slower than I'm actually going but thats no biggy to me.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have this cheap plastic speedometer. Russell was kind enough to send me some info on it just before it arrived to my house, so I took his advice and lubed up the whole thing. It has worked for a little over 400 miles now. The needle is starting to jump at higher speeds, which is a little over 50mph on my bike. I just ordered the chrome whizzer speedometer about an hour ago. It should be here next week and I will report how it works. It cost $58.80 without shipping for the chrome housing, cable, and gear. I prefer the look of the needle speedo's, so it's worth a little more money to me.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Sorry for the delay in reporting, but I finally got my whizzer, chrome housing, speedo installed. I love it. I don't have many miles on it yet, but the needle seems to be super smooth with no bouncing around even up to around 50mph. The housing has a built in hole for a bulb, which I need to get. The speedo doesn't come with the socket, wiring, or bulb. I had added a light to the cheap plastic speedo, so I should do the same for the whizzer. If I have any failures with it, I will report, but my opinion is that the whizzer is definitely worth the extra money. Thanks for the insight, Russell.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
i know this is an old thread, being brandnew to this hobby i'm reading a LOT of old threads, but i just bought me a speedometer on the bay for $75.00 to mount on a lightish brown Micargi Cheetah cruiser being built for me by the guys at Pirate Cycles and i thought maybe there might be others interested.

...according to the seller (who has nothing but positive feedback) this is a brandnew Stuart-Warner analog speedometer made originally for Schwinn's i believe, that comes with all the hardware required including drive cable and mounting brackets. (ad copy states also that this is an all metal unit, none of that chrome plated plastic crap)

...anyway, the seller has more of these and even has some for under $50.00 but without the drive cable.

...if you'd like to check them out just click the picture.

peace, bozo

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
I have 2 that I bought on amazon one is the digital it gives readings all over the place no good at all . Well the clock part keeps good time . The second was an old school one but it was only good up to about 15 or 20 mph then it went crazy tried to adjust it now it doesn't work either lol . Ahh but it does give accurate mileage . Perhaps Ill find one someday that gives a good speed indication .

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've had one on the 66 build a couple of years now- but I ride the other one more-

I don't ever really look at it much now and thinking of taking it off- maybe put it on the other bike just to see the speeds- it's nice to see the mileage too-

If I had someone to follow me- I'd see how accurate it is- but I don't think it's far off-

I get up to 25 with ease, and a good steady cruise at 30- I've taken it to 35 and the motor is screaming more than I'd like it- Micargi cruiser with 27 x 1 1/4 wheels and a 34 sprocket- billet intake, Speed carb- nothing fancy

There's 242 miles on it now- but i may be riding the other one 10 times as much since
I Guestimate I'm cruising at 25 on the 50cc with the 39 sprock and 700c x 32mm tires

So anyway- the cheap analog hasn't exploded or anything and I think I found it for less than $15 shipped back then, but shopped around to find the low price