New rider with custom chop

GoldenMotor.com

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
Hello All,
Im new to the forum and am starting to build a custom street tracker style motorized bicycle. I will be building the frame from other frames and tube steel. I plan on using an old 49cc wing-ding with a jackshaft to an eight speed rear cassette. Im in the process of building an inverted springer from an old chopper style triple tree fork. I'll be running duel disk brakes so the jackshaft will be mandatory. The bike is going to be full suspension using a custom rear swinger, shock undecided. Probably will be customizing a fuel tank and fab up a seat pan with a fiberglass tail. This is going to take a while, 6 months or more. Pictures will come as my progress builds. I have some ideas im sure i will need help with and have a fair amount of skill to offer others on the forum. Im also a professional bicycle mechanic with over 10 years of experience.
I have a questions for now as I plan it out.

Can i get a larger cylinder and piston kit to move up the size from 49cc to 80cc or just buy a larger engine?
Thanks, Jon (LOPEE)

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
Sounds like a sweet idea. One note: Consider using a 7-speed setup. The reason I say this is that an 8-speed sprocket set uses a thinner (read: "weaker") Drive chain. Also, 8 gears, while sounding cooler than 7 is somewhat excessive, and probably wont give you much more driveability. At least not enough to justify the extra shifting. But hey, I might have no idea what I'm talking about. But i do know about the chain gauge thing for sure.

Last edited:

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
So ive been sketching out the design and working on the forks. My camera batteries just died, so ill post a pic of how the forks are coming along later tonight. Here is a sketch of what it should look like. Im still toying with the idea of using and old cruiser frame so it blends board track and street track.

Attachments

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
So iv gotten some work done on the springer. Still needs to have the plate where the springs rest welded up, but over all seem like its going to work well. Then ill be doing some cosmetic refining to make it looked more machined, kind of rat right now but will be just peachy when done.

Attachments

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
I like that name, I always wanted one. Baby TZ, can i use it?

Project Baby TZ

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
So i just ran across a guy that has all sorts of bikes he rebuilds. I bought a running malibu hopper for $30 and he gave me two old steel road bikes. Also scored a cheapie rear shock. It always amazes me of what people throw out, He had a mint condition 20" Redline race bike that retailed at over $400 when new that he paid $3 for. He said he let it go for $60.

So project Baby TZ is starting to materialize, most parts i cant make are here. now from the drawing board to the shop!

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
after mocking up the rear triangle looks like there will be some heavy modification to make the multi-speed work. Im going to take some pics and try to mount the engine this weekend. forks are working nicely but need some tweeking of the rockers. I would like to find a nexus 7 speed internal hub to remove the chain travel problem.

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
So some progress has been made on project Baby TZ. Im fooling with the shock trying to lower the bike a little right now.
This is what has been done: Cut girls a malibu cruiser, welded a top tube and a lower newsboy style tube. Then cut out a cartridge bb to put it on the TZ. As I was fooling with it, I decided to cut slots and re-weld to bend the down tube down and then back, did the same for seat tube. I fabed up a rear motor mount. I think that there will be room for the jackshaft no doubt. I chopped the rear, jackshaft bearings for a pivot with welded original rear triangle. Reduced the angle of the r. triangle and added center support. Oh yeah, made a board track style tank for now, i'll be trying out options for that. I was on the edge between the two before the start.
Please give me some feedback cause "im goin it alone"!