Sprocket troubles and woes

GoldenMotor.com

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I unsuccessfully mounted the sprocket to my Huffy cruiser today. Nearing the end (Ithought) I found there was not enough room for the brake arm to fit into it's slot. I thought if the sprocket would go further up on the hub just a little it would fit. I took it all back apart and with a half round file I tried to enlarge the bore. When I held it together and put the pedal chain back on and the brake arm it looked like it would work and I wished there was a way to put the bolts back through the sprocket while I had it all hanging there. But I took it apart and then I don't know how I did it but when I got ready to install the bolts through the sprocket the second time I had somehow widened the hub on the brake side and the dust cover won't go over by the hub by about 1/16" or more. It seemed like I was running the axle bolt back and forth and I could see a race type bearing on the brake side poking out. I cannot get it back like it was. Bad day for the old folks here!
Please help.
Pedal Pusher

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
A picture would get you help "

" I was running the axle bolt back and forth and I could see a race type bearing on the brake side poking out. I cannot get it back like it was. Bad day for the old folks here!"

Are the nuts that hold the bearings in place against your hub loose?

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I have no camera so cannot take pictures. There is no nut on the right side where the coaster brake arm is. The slot in the brake arm fits over what looks like a two sided nut. You can turn it with fingers and adj. wrench. On the left is a locknut and another nut at the hub. As a kid we used to take these things apart. Now I took it somewhat but decare I don't know how. I thought coaster brakes were simple. If I could get it back like it was I believe it will all fit now.
Thanks for helping.
Pedal Pusher

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for this information. I wish I would have had it this afternoon before I spent about five hours and accomplished nothing. Yet I am still dead in the water so to speak until I can get the back wheel back to the way it was. It is a nearly new bike. Your product has lots of appeal over the kit material.
Thanks,
Pedal Pusher

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Sounds to me like your axle is screwing out. There should be a nut and a lock nut on both sides so the axle cannot move sideways. You need to get the axle centered back up and locked. You will have to be carful because some of the wheel bearings do not have a cage to hold them together. You could end up with ball bearings rolling across the floor. Good luck.

John

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I have just returned from the bike store where I was able to get my coaster brake adjusted correctly after I messed it up yesterday. The nice young man patiently explained the inner workings of the brakes and how the parts had to fit a certain way; and I just nodded as if I understood what he was saying. As a newcomer my advice to all newcomers is to be careful when you are taking something apart. I plan to get a camera when budget permits. The bike guy adjusted my hub while I waited and it took a couple of minutes and cost $15.00. I feel lucky. I walked through the showroom and saw bikes starting at $499.99 (nothing cheaper for adults) and went to $4,999.99. I have never seen a five thousand dollar bicycle before. I was sort of in awe of it all. In late 1974 my buddy and I bought an airplane (1948 Aeronca Champ) that was licensed and flying for $1500.00. And the guy delivered it from Tennessee to South Carolina for us....Neither of us could fly at the time.
Thanks for the help and advice. Now back to the dreaded sprocket again.....
Pedal Pusher

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Yes it does, I have one Jim made to bolt up to a disc brake hub and you can bolt any 9 hole kit sprocket up to it. He also makes one that clamps around the rear hub, but you have to give him the diameter of your rear hub and he custom drills it to that exact size. That one also uses the kit 9 hole sprocket. Hope this helps! Walter F.

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
My sprocket is presently at the mechanic's shop to be bored to the correct size. I will pick it up tomorrow. This is my first motorized bike attempt and I may never get up and running but I am planning ahead for a second attempt and plan to use Manic Mechanic Jim's adapter as my other bike is a better bicycle than my WalMart China Huffy. At least I think it is. The Schwinn probably came from China too, but it has good brakes, and wheels run true.
This forum is very valuable for the beginner and interesting for bikers at all skill levels.
Thanks,
Pedal Pusher

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I have found I learn more from my mistakes than if it all goes right the first time. We're here to help if we can -soon you'll be helping a newcomer Walter F.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
If you run into bike woes again check out sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html

there's a ton of info on that site on bicycles, I just stumbled onto it the other day trying to find out how to build a wheel and I am still reading. :D

Last edited: