Hey Everyone, Another new member

GoldenMotor.com

TexMex

Oct 1, 2014
canada
Hey everyone, hows it going out there, ive spent the last few weeks kicking around your forums so i figured ill register, anyway this is my story:

about 3 weeks ago i was given my first motor bike, i got it for doing a favor for a friend, it was a basic ccm frame with a 66cc jet kit attached to it, however it was nonoperational, through this forum and the information i have found here i managed to fiddle with the carberator until it ran, its still having a few issues such as refusing to idle, and four stroking at WOT, but as of now i can hop on it and ride across town, which is a huge step up from where it was when i got it. a few other modifications such as a fuel filter and a new fork and bar setup. next in line is a hydraulic front disc, and spark plug/wire. the bikes far from perfect but im sure with all your guys help ill eventually have this thing purring like a kitten.

as for a little about me, im a 23 year old college dropout, i clean floors for a living so funds are a bit limited, i live on a medium sized island called newfoundland in canada, its a very hilly area and the weather is crappy for riding most of the time. ive been working on bikes without motors ever since i was old enough to know what a wrench was, so if you explain something to me ill generally get it. i look forward to a good time hanging out here
-Tex

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Tex. Sounds like you have a handle on the bike part and we're always here to offer any assistance we can if you need engine help.

If you need to ask for advice it helps to know what you have. You'd established it is a Chinese 2 stroke but you didn't say what carburetor you have. That would help us offer some suggestions about the idle and four stroking.
How many miles on the engine?

Tom

TexMex

Oct 1, 2014
canada
Its a standard nt carb that comes with the kit, reading around it seems to me my solution is a smaller jet size. I'm yet to look into it as I wanted to change the plugs and wires first to see if that helps, as for miles. God only knows lol, the bike was given to me third hand. I know it was built about 2 years ago and it spent a few months sitting there doing nothing cause the carb pulled in some dirt and it would flood and spill out through the air filter so he rode his other one

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are a lot of NT fans here. It is hard to beat unless you're planning on lots of engine modifications. It will perform perfectly on a stock engine.

Aftermarket jets are available but as I've posted here before, the sizes are not always accurate. A lot of us prefer to solder and drill the jet to fine tune for overall performance.
Your altitude above sea level will dictate what works best for you.

As for idling, the screw on the left side is the idle speed screw. In for faster, out for slower. You didn't say what your particular idle problem is but if too slow that is adjustable. If too fast that could indicate an air (vacuum) leak somewhere downstream of the carburetor. The most common area is the intake manifold gasket at the cylinder. There are other places to look but check the simple things first. Carb to manifold must also be an air tight connection.

Tom

TexMex

Oct 1, 2014
canada
When I come to a stop and pull the clutch it won't idle. It may hold it for a few seconds if its cold but eventually it'll die out. I've played with the idle screw and it seems to make no difference. Despite the fact when I look in the hole behind the air filter it does alter the barrel height. I'm kind of at a loss

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What is your spark plug gap? .024 to .028 seems to be a good place to start for plug gap. Too much or too little will impact the idle.

Also what fuel/oil ratio are you running? If you are using the kit recommended 16:1 oil ratio you can safely drop that to 24 or even better, 32:1.
High oil content can/will fowl spark plugs and clog exhaust systems.

Have you checked and cleaned the air filter?

Is the clutch fully disengaging with the handlebar lever pulled? If the clutch drags that too can cause idle problems. With the clutch disengaged raise the rear wheel. It shouldn't spin with the engine running. If it does, adjust the cable tension a little tighter.

Tom

Last edited:

TexMex

Oct 1, 2014
canada
I've cleaned the air filter already. I assumed the gas going through it wasn't any good. I haven't pulled the plug yet so no idea what the gap may be. My assumption is that the plug is fouled as it was running rich and I had to drop the carb needle down a notch.

As for the clutch its definatley not gripping with the handle depressed, I've had that side off looking g at it all, I can't do that wheel test atm as the bike won't idle :( This is a moderately old kit and it wasn't taken care of the best originally, I'm hoping to revive it somehow without spending a fortune. Also I'm using a 32:1 mix with a semi synthetic oil. Like I said this kit was kind of abused before me so the ratio then was probably too high

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Tex, welcome.

Used to visit Come-by-Chance. (was on a tanker at the refinery) Awesome town and people.
After a belly full of "Nefi screech", I rolled down the hill with the giant cross. LOL. Good times.

TexMex

Oct 1, 2014
canada
ive never been there, all those small outports are beautiful places though, i live in st. john's. but yeah, that screech is volatile stuff, haha

so i changed out the plug and that helped the four stroking a little, someone suggested putting a couple of holes in the back of my air filter, would this actually help, i know more air is the solution but will that allow it, also, i got into a little scrap with an f150 pulling out of a driveway, so right now my back wheel is a little wibbly wobbly, im gonna need a new one, =(

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
ive never been there, all those small outports are beautiful places though, i live in st. john's. but yeah, that screech is volatile stuff, haha
LOL, I swear. You folks are hiding the best booze and woman! LOL

The most important part and cheapest of a motor bike, is the bike. Fix it or replace the part. If it is "wobbeling" could just be some maintenance. But if it feels wrong, it is and can get ya hurt.

Please don't just let it go. That little itch should be telling you some thing but that little wibble will mess you up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Let's see, an F-150 and a motorized bicycle. Who wins? I'd say you wre outweighed by just a little.

Wobbly? Bent rim or bent frame? Whatever, address those items before worrying too much about how the engine performs. The bike, the frame, wheels and brakes are more important than the engine.

As for the suspended rear wheel test, it doesn't need to idle. At any engine RPM the rear wheel shouldn't spin with the clutch disengaged. If it does, your clutch is dragging. Tighten the cable a little.

Tom

TexMex

Oct 1, 2014
canada
alright, when i get a new rear whel to suspend ill try that, no, the frame isnt bent, that was the first thing i checked, next was to see if it still turned over, haha. when i look at the wheel side on it looks like its smiling at me, i gueess i slid into the truck back first and the wheel took all the force. yeah i have a new rim to put on, but i need to widen my center hole in my sprocket to get it on the hub, its a shimano centerlock disc brake style, were literally talking 1/16" too big to fit through the sprocket

TexMex

Oct 1, 2014
canada
LOL, I swear. You folks are hiding the best booze and woman! LOL
we keep it all in one area, we refer to it as "george street" for those who dont know what that is you should google it, kind of interesting facts there

TexMex

Oct 1, 2014
canada
yeah, its starting to get a bit chilly, no snow or anything yet, being an island helps keep it mild till later in the winter, i got a new rim installed, not the centerlock one i mentioned earlier, but another one, but the freewheel on this one is kinda messed up, however the rim is perfect so i think im gonna get a new freewheel for it, also, i drilled some holes in my air filter and that solved my idle issue and almost solved my 4 stroking one.