Got the tank done

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
A while back I posted a thread about looking for a tank and plumbing a new petcock. Well here is the result. Got a 1986 moped tank, stripped it and had a local fabricator weld the petcock in the bottom for proper drainage. Holds more and looks pretty unique.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Great work, Toothy. You did good. It came out nice.
Thanks for sharing the results. What is the capacity of your tank? Looks to be close to a U.S. gallon? Maybe a little more?

Tom

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Thanks Dave,
I'm having issues with black flaky crap in my filter. I used a rust converter in the tank and I'm hoping that was not a mistake. I may have to pull it off and shake / use nuts and bolts again on the inside to get the stuff out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks Dave,
I'm having issues with black flaky crap in my filter. I used a rust converter in the tank and I'm hoping that was not a mistake. I may have to pull it off and shake / use nuts and bolts again on the inside to get the stuff out.
Toothy,
You can also try sand or small pea gravel. Bee bees also work. (BB gun ammo)
I had good luck with sandblasting. I stuck the nozzle of the blaster inside the tank through the gas cap hole and was able to get back into the corners and crevices.

But simply shaking the tank (a lot) using the sand/gravel method also works.
The chemical de-scalers are good but be careful and don't ruin your paint job if you use them.

An external, in-line fuel filter should catch most of that scale you're seeing. You might have to change it a couple of times but at least it won't end up in your carburetor.
Good luck.

Tom

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Update......after the guy welded the petcock the rust converter flaked. I used some nuts and tacks to shake it free. Getting clear liquid after several shakes.....all good and well worth the workout.

Last edited: