in line fuel filter leak

GoldenMotor.com

deskman

Aug 29, 2012
california
Hello gang!

I recently just put together my first build(hooray!)...it ran pretty poorly and was jolting frequently...i eventually figured out that the gap on my spark plug was almost completely nonexistent. i bought an NGK spark plug for like 3 bucks and it worked swimmingly!

So i'm having a blast riding around, was riding uphill and my chain locks up...i look down and the stupid friggan tensioner had jammed itself into my spokes effectively destroying my rear tire. i just bought a new rim for the low low price of 45bucks >:/

i also just bought #41 chain and plan on running without a tensioner...that experience scarred me!...if i had been going downhill or something...game over man

but thats all another matter,

my in line fuel filter leaks...it rests on my bike close to horazontally and i suppose theres a small gap inbetween the clear bit and the white plastic.

my question is, since i have the filter on the hose in the gas tank itself is it necessary to have a second filter? if it is necessary, what would be the best way to seal that sucker up?

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I would leave the inline filter in place and get a couple small hose clamps for each side of the filter. Easy fix. Make sure you get the drive chain alignment and tension correct. It is probably one of the most important things you can do in my opinion.
Good luck, Dan

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Funny you mentioned the filter leak as mine developed one yesterday. Will have to get another and this time I'm going to goo it up with some gasket sealer I think. Ruined a beautiful day of riding today. I agree these chain tensioner things are scary. but my bike is such that I can't ride a straight chain. Bummer.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If it's an inexpensive plastic filter throw it away and buy a new one. If it is a machined aluminum filter they typically have threads so you can unscrew them and take it apart for cleaning. Try tightening it.

As far as using a "sealer" what do you plan to use? Almost without exception any gasket sealer, especially those with a silicone base are not compatible with gasoline. Just read the label. Most will say 'Not for use in contact with gasoline'.

Go to any hardware store, lawnmower shop or motorcycle shop and buy a new filter. You'll want one with 1/4" O.D. Outside Diameter. While you're at it replace the fuel line too.

Tom

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Here's another tidbit I discovered; I initially had put my filter on backward. It doesn't matter which way the filter goes IMHO because the fuel always passes through the filter. But, if you install it in reverse, the clear plastic bowl holds the fuel and it doesn't (at least on mine which is at a vertical angle) fill all the way up past the seam. Thus you wouldn't have to worry about the seam leaking.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While it will still filter, if you've installed it backwards you won't be able to see the build up of dirt & contaminants as they'll be on the inside of the filter element, defeating the point of having a clear fuel filter.

in, from tank

out, to carb

If it's a disposable cheapo like the above & it leaks and/or you've installed it backwards, don't fix it by flipping it around as it'll discharge all the collected gunk into the carb - just;
...throw it away and buy a new one...
They're only $1.25 or so: http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Filter-lines-micron-Kohler/dp/B000NEAMBA

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
My filter leaked right out of the box, at the same seam. If this turns out to happen often, I think it would be a good recommendation for anyone with a new kit to just buy a new one and not bother with the kit one. It would be a real bummer to burn up a new build, or yourself due to a gas leak.

deskman

Aug 29, 2012
california
i figured out my problem!

the fuel lever was slightly off, pointing it straight to the fuel tank didn't stop flow...so gas kept flowing to the engine and flooded the little filter. the pressure eventually forced gas out of the cracks. i figured out where fuel is stopped and now thats not a problem!...i did buy hose clamps just in case

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Funny you mentioned the filter leak as mine developed one yesterday. Will have to get another and this time I'm going to goo it up with some gasket sealer I think. Ruined a beautiful day of riding today. I agree these chain tensioner things are scary. but my bike is such that I can't ride a straight chain. Bummer.
A local muffler shop can tack-weld the tensioner to the frame to keep it from turning into the wheel. I do this to ALL my builds. Never destroyed a rim yet...

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
A. yes it does matter which way you put the filter on. The filter is designed for fuel to flow and catch debris in one direction, If you put it on backwards, debris caught by the filter will stop the flow of fuel. when put on the right way, the filter will catch debris and still allow fuel to flow around it.
flipping a used filter around, will only allow any debris already caught by the filter to get into the carb.
this will plug up your main jet and possibly cause your float to stick (which can cause it to flood over, or not allow any gas onto the carb.)

B. you should never have to use a sealer on a fuel filter...nothing will hold up to the fuel contacting the sealer. (especially somethign that's silicone based)
Unless it's a screw together filter, then you can use a sealer on the threads but it has to be fuel resistant (but most screw together aluminum filters have an o-ring inside of them at the threads to prevent leaks).

C. yes, out the filter on with the flow arrow pointing down towards the carb and then put a hose clamp on each end of the hose that goes onto the filter.
Just tighten them up, but don't go too tight or you will damage the fuel line.

D. do not depend on the filter that's in the tank (attached to the fuel petcock) they are junk and usually clog VERY easily. your best bet is to remove the filter in the tank all together and get it out of the way.

E. you can buy a very good plastic inline fuel filter for about $4.00 - $5.00 at almost any hardware store (1/4" outside diameter fittings). if the filter body itself is leaking, it's cracked. throw it away and get a new one.

F. your filter will eventually fill all the way up with fuel (past the seam that you mention).
these things are gravity fed, and the only thing that will stop the fuel from flowing out of the tank, into the filter is the carb float (or a plugged up fuel petcock) your filter may not be all the way full now, but let it sit and let the air get worked out of it...it will eventually fill all the way with fuel.

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
My filter leaked right out of the box, at the same seam. If this turns out to happen often, I think it would be a good recommendation for anyone with a new kit to just buy a new one and not bother with the kit one. It would be a real bummer to burn up a new build, or yourself due to a gas leak.
the kit supplied filters are junk...don't even bother using them.
just looking at them should tell you that they are very low quality.

you can not ignite gasoline with heat alone...you need a spark or a flame.
however a gas leak is not good, but i highly doubt that a fire would start just by gas hitting the hot engine or the exhaust.
its the fumes from gas that are flammable, and to ignite fumes, you need open fire or an open spark.

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
A local muffler shop can tack-weld the tensioner to the frame to keep it from turning into the wheel. I do this to ALL my builds. Never destroyed a rim yet...
or you could just eliminate the tensioner all together (or of you're good, build your own out of a 10 speed derailer).
I ran 2 bikes for 2 years with no tensioners at all.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
i figured out my problem!

the fuel lever was slightly off, pointing it straight to the fuel tank didn't stop flow...so gas kept flowing to the engine and flooded the little filter. the pressure eventually forced gas out of the cracks. i figured out where fuel is stopped and now thats not a problem!...i did buy hose clamps just in case
better yet, eliminate the kit supplied gas valve all together and get an in line shut off valve.
get a brass threaded barb fitting from the hardware store that screws into the tank, add a short peice of fuel line, then install a briggs & strattton in line shut off valve (about $5.00), your filter, and you're good to go.

empty the gas tank, remove the fuel shut off valve and take it to the hardware store with you so you can match up the threads with a barbed brass fitting. put some teflon tape on the threads of the fitting and screw it into the gas tank bung. (tighten it up but be careful not to go too tight, you can easily strip the threads in the tank bung).
I did this to one of my bikes about a year ago and I have not had a leak or a fuel flow problem since.