What size belt for EZM?

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Just spent some time doing gymnastics replacing the belt on the EZM. A long while back I thought I remembered someone saying an AX-25 belt was a good replacement. Just put one on and it looks maybe one size to big to me. Would I be ahead to just get the an adjustable pulley for the front of the system and go from there? Thanks for any help.
Dan

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Just spent some time doing gymnastics replacing the belt on the EZM. A long while back I thought I remembered someone saying an AX-25 belt was a good replacement. Just put one on and it looks maybe one size to big to me. Would I be ahead to just get the an adjustable pulley for the front of the system and go from there? Thanks for any help.
Dan
Hey Dan,

What size are your pulleys? If you have a 2.5" front and 5" Rear then an AX25 is exactly what you need. What is your Q-Matic hooked up to? From my understanding the set up I just described is for the HF 99cc Predator. Thats what my Q-Matic is hooked onto anyway and thats the set up Im running. Has been doing amazing for me.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks for the reply. My EZM is on a Huasheng 49cc and the front pulley is a 2" pulley, therein lies the problem. I see now why the AX25 looks to be big. I guess I'll consider a new pulley or get another belt. I think I might just go to a 2.5" pulley and see what happens. Thanks again for your time.
Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Mr jowens, Since I'm using a much smaller engine (49cc) what do you think would be ther result of going to a 2.5" front pulley?
Thanks, Dan

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Mr jowens, Since I'm using a much smaller engine (49cc) what do you think would be ther result of going to a 2.5" front pulley?
Thanks, Dan
Hey there Dan.....
Going to a 2.5 pulley would make accelerating for your engine harder because the gearing would be lowered......you would also make climbing any grades of hills harder on your engine.......my suggestion would be to swap that AX25 belt for an AX24 belt.....that should fit nicely

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Mr jowens,
Just thought I'd update you on what I learned. Got ans AX24 and it was too tight for the 2" front pulley. Got a 1 3/4", still too tight. I have an idea a 1 1/2 might work but our wonderful old time hardware stor a block away didn't have that. I ended up elongating the mounting holes for the EZM. Seem s to work even though it's still a little tighter than I want. Hopefully it'll stretch a little before doing any damage to the drive shaft bearing. Of course moving the kit meant my drive chain was too tight so I had to loosen the rear wheel, remove the drive chain guard, etc. etc. Took way longer than I had planned, but I sure know how to change out the drive belt now. Thanks for your input. Always nice to have another head looking at the problem. Dan