Bicycle Motor Squealing

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Motor Squealing

I'd say you could fix the threads with a thread chaser or a die, available at your favorite auto parts store ot Lowe's/Home Depot/ect.

Are you sure it wasn't just good old gear whine?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

That shaft will all come apart, you will have to drive out a small pin then unscrew it all, then chase the threads. I tried to tell you to drive it out with a plastic hammer, so you would not damage the threads, or drive it out from the the other side and not even beat on the clutch sides threads, but it all can be chased with the proper metric die. Those bearing are a common bearing, I couldn't remember the numbers, and I'd misplaced the info on the numbers, it looks like you got the job done, I'd replace the bearings even if you think they are good, cheap insurance. be a little more careful with the hammer, and use plastic or brass even wood to hit the surfaces, better is to press it all back if you can . But you did get her done.(^)
Joe might be right, my gears whine like **** at certain speeds

xtremespeed2102

Mar 3, 2008

Yeaaaah about that. I used a wooden block, it slipped and I got it good a few times.

Anyway, any idea where that pin is on the shaft? Is it just a threaded rod thatll unscrew?

This isnt gear whine, it would squeal and scream. It even did it when the teeth were off.

Any idea what that extra ball bearing was from? I checked the races and there arent any missing.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

The extra ball is from inside the mainshaft it keeps the peace between the fixed clutchs rod and the short rod that is pushed by the clutch lever in the housing.
The mess(mainshaft) with the big spring will come all apart I have the pictures posted all you got to do is look I have the assembly all apart on one of the posts.( I went and found it)
Here is the assembly apart the only part thats on the small inner shaft is the spring retainer and the retainers pin this is the shaft that you are trying to get at to clean the threads on. The washer looking thing above the flower nut will unscrew and release the spring so you can take it all apart see the ball between the two shafts that is where it lives. The pressure on the spring will be all the way released I think? as you unscrew the washer looking thing that has what looks like 4 machined slots in it. does that make it as clear as mud? all the stuff below the spring in this picture is inside the mainshaft except for the retainer that's on the small shaft that you are going to clean the threads on.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If the bearing are sqealing, grease them, and run it. If it comes back you should have the bearings in the mail by then...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I agree I've been stuck in alot of rain lately, washed them out like leaving the boat trailer in the water to long

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I've found that my bikes will squeal like a stuck pig and it comming from the short shaft/rod on the clutch. this is the short rod or shaft in front of the ball inside the mainshaft for some reason it will get dry or it works the grease out of there and when that short rod gets dry it will make a nasty noise that even I can hear and my hearing isn't the best. All I have to do is take the cover off of the chain/front sprocket that has the clutch arm on it and I pull out the short shaft and ball shoot some grease into the hole grease up the ball and the shaft put it back together and I'm good to go until it cries to me again. I haven't been keeping records or mileage but it might be something like 6 to 10 tanks of fuel before it gets dry again and it may go even longer between needing grease.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
^5I looked at mine found the clutch,ball bearing/pin dry, and rusty from the rain. Cleaned it up, put axle grease noise gone. It was pretty rusty

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Now that is a good place to start looking guys...

Check the ball and rod fo' sho'!

Sometimes the fix is very simple to an ongoing undiagnosed problem.

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington

Oh yeah, forgot to add.
There was an extra ball bearing in there, was that supposed to be in the shaft on the drive end? That bugger popped out on me when i was taking it apart.

Also the bearings don't seem to have anything wrong with them. They're a bit noisy but fairly smooth even with out grease on them. They have a little bit of play. I need to check and see if i can find new ones to see if there is a difference. They are size 6202z.

Still frustrated about that shaft. Would it be possible to still run if i cut that last thread off?
6202z thats a real comon bearing for alternators and clutch pilot bearings
202s is the bca brand part number

Federal-Mogul's Complete Automotive Light Duty Catalog - Interchange Look-up

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I've had that noise and it is the clutch shaft and the single ball bearing getting dry.
here is what I was going to write didn't sound right
I've had to grease my short rod and ball to stop the squealing. See that isn't right!
I should have not put this on here. I won't have any problem deleting this if someone complains that just isn't a good description of the problem. Funny though!
Norman
nasty boy.dnut