Cranbrooke 1st Build

GoldenMotor.com

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
For my first build I'm using a Huffy Cranbrook that I purchased New for $50 bucks off Craigslist. I ordered up A Grubee Sky Hawk GT5-SR, as well as a Springer fork, 24x3.0 Thick Bricks, 24x2.125 rims. For Paint I went with Leather Brown and a Textured Black. Here are some progress pics as I build up this bike...

Stock pic

Getting some ideas

Disassemble, and sand down parts for paint, I decided on a Textures flat Black, and Leather Brown

Took an old seat off an older cruiser, It was an awesome metal one with padding and rubber cover, I ditched the padding and cover and cleaned up the rusty metal pan. Just gonna keep it raw and clear coat it, maybe fill in the holes...

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
Frame, fender, tank painted, also put on some 24x3.0 Thick Bricks, on steel heavy duty 24x2.125 Rims.And front springer fork.

Now gotta weld a seat post on to steel seat pan so it can sit lower and a bit further back.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi Frankenstien Bikes. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I've read that the pull tabs on the fenders and maybe the brackets aren't strong enough to hold the fenders to the frame of a motorized bicycle and then can lock up the rear or the front wheel. Thankyou. I'm looking forward to see your cranbrook when done.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
ive heard the same but dont know for sure....ive been riding the planet bike abs "extreme" fenders on my ride and they work great...no issues in about 200m on 2 different bikes

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
In my shop I have my 23rd and my 24th cranbrook in progress (every one wants me to build them a cranboob), So I would like to think I know a thing or 2 about crannys. A few words of wisdom for you. Its true, the fenders WILL fail and it wont take long, I have had more then a few fail on me in my early builds, sometimes it just ruins the fenders, sometimes it will lock the tire and toss you off, a simple fix? heavy duty zip ties, I have used 2 in a criss cross pattern ( under the fender and through the mounting hole on the frame), its a super cheap fix and actualy looks pretty good, welding would be the better way to go though. also, the brake arm band will snap on these bikes, I have snapped a brake arm band going just 16mph. You really should upgrade to calipers or disks, but if your on a budget, make a better band, I bent a heavy piece of steel bracket for a few of mine. there are a ton of other little things that will fail on these bikes, but nothing else that will kill you that I know of, lol, enjoy!

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
Update pic, painted some tubes brown on the forks, and added another support tube to my seat. Tomorrow my Engine should be arriving Grubee SkyHawk GT-5 Super Rat with Expansion Chamber exhaust :D

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Looking good! Looks like we're on the same path with our Cranbrookes! I'm needing a seat post fabbed up and have plans for an in-frame tank. Really feeling your fork! Any issues with the tire fitment? You're running a 24" though, right?

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
Ya, no prob with the front fork, besides remounting the brown tubes on the outside of the springer mount, to give more clearance for the tire.

Having probs as we speak mounting my GT5-SuperRat Engine.

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Lookin good, but good luck with the pile of crap super rat, by far the worse engine ever made, never seen one run right, but if you get it running good, more power to ya!