four stroke engine.

GoldenMotor.com

mr.z

Dec 21, 2010
california
Hello guys, I'm planning on building a motor bicycle but I'm looking for the best 4 stroke engine in the market. If I can describe it= first of all, a frame mount with more than 3 hp. And strong enough that I don’t have to peddle up a hill. dnutdnutdnutdnut

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
not many low/mid end motors have more then 3HP from what iv'e seen, and in the size area we're talking about, most 4 strokes are like 2-2.5 HP from what iv'e seen, thing is that from what iv'e read even though the 4 strokes have less HP, it has more torque and thus more hill climbing power.

the 66cc 2 strokes generally have plenty of power for hills though, cost less and mount in frame better.

thatsdax.com sells some pretty nice 4 stroke kits from what iv'e read here though.

your specs are a bit too precise for me though but before you make any purchases i suggest you read this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f17/real-deal-california-law-15268.html don't want to buy an over powered motor get stopped and have no chance to register it under CA's set of laws now do you?

good luck.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hello guys, I'm planning on building a motor bicycle but I'm looking for the best 4 stroke engine in the market. If I can describe it= first of all, a frame mount with more than 3 hp. And strong enough that I don’t have to peddle up a hill. dnutdnutdnut
Get one of these, it will meet all of your demands (and then some). Just remove the gas tank and get a 4-stroke mounting plate and follow the Harbor Freight in-frame builds on the forum. It's a Kawasaki 124cc 4-stroke with 4hp+ and mate it to an EZM tranny. This set-up will make a bicycle fly....but it won't be real light...90-100lbs.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I second Scotto, he knows what he is talking about. That's probably your best bet as far as engines go, it won't be easy to find one as far as I can tell, but nothing is impossible :)
-LS

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
I've run the Honda 50 and Titan 50...both excellent. I've heard the HS 50 is also very good. Although not 3 hp, they will easily climb hills with gearing. The Titan into a Nu Vinci will pull me and a fully loaded (75# or so) trailer up a 20 degree rise at 20 mph at the top. I've also run the Lifan 97cc single speed with a belt drive that wasn't bad on hills. Very long hills would get it with the trailer, but it was acceptable. With even a two speed it would have been great. I don't own one, but the HF Greyhound seems to have similar performance.

My favorite for an inframe is the 50cc Lifan with the auto clutch. Lock it in 2nd or 3rd for automatic, or use the gears for performance if you like. They are rated at 2.7 hp, so plenty power too. Mine is in a chopper style frame, so I don't tow with it, but hills are no problem, and 40+ mph is available if you play with the gearing. To use these you will have to do some frame mods to mount them properly though.

Looking back at it the engines have been less of a problem than the bikes for me. My only problem was drowning the engines when riding in a heavy rain for extended trips, and this was when the fenders kind of channeled the spray onto the engines. Rack mounts didn't even suffer from that.

JMO

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
The thatsdax XC50S Super Titan is rated at 3hp and so far for me its great, but I have it on his rack mount friction drive, not an in frame....yet.