60 MPH...achieveable? Who cares?!? Let blueprint an engine!

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Im willing to bet anyone on the forum that i can get a bike to 60 MPH on flatland. Not in the Flatbed of a truck. I WIll post more soon

ANY OFFERS?!?!?>!!
xct2
No offers from me. I don't know who else has put up anything, if anyone, but I just got done looking at a pulsejet powered motorbike called the Buzzbomb. I think that one can probably do 60 and more. I can only say play it safe. I don't doubt you could do it, possibly even with some form of two-stroke instead of a jet, I just hope you don't kill yourself.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Now we'll start to get down to the nuts and bolts of this!

DV and I have been playing around with a customers' bike for the past 10 days just to see what we could get out of it without doing anything major.

We bolted on an intake, and a new cylinder head. We also port matched the muffler to the jug. 93 Octane fuel mixed 4 ounces to the gallon with generic air cooled 2-cycle oil. A few runs to read, and adjust the plug heat range due to the high comp head, and that's it...nothing more.

We're done experimenting with this bike...it was returned to the customer today. I could have kept it for another week to do more mods, but it was pointless. 43mph is already WAY too fast for this bike!

We disassembled a new engine today and went to the Granite inspection plate with the crank and the cases. The crank was typical: .008" out of true concentric. The bolt-on weights are never true to the crank centerline on these engines. It is one of the few that I have seen where the bearing journals are dead on...3 tenths! Impressive for sure!

The mating surfaces for the two case halves were out of square to the crank bearings by .0035". We squared-up the case surfaces on the mill. The original case register was milled away...we will be dowel pinning the cases to ensure crank to bearing alignment and prevent the cases from shuffling.

Prepping any engine is extremely tedious...there is no such thing as "good enough"! Patience and experience are the key to making any engine run to it's full potential...there are no short-cuts, no magic...just hours of work!

I should be nearly done with the engine by the time the bike gets here.

Yes...the CNC is running production on motor mounts and sprocket adapters while I'm messin' with this project.

Jim

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
HAHA

I have a great idea, why don't we all just buy some ducati engines, throw them in some of those fiberglass river trouts that Longhair linked on page 3, and start a whole new forums site.... fiberglasstroutsthatcantdolessthanmach1.com.
Mannn, why are we wasting time with Motorized bicycles?! We could be doing 190 downriver while suckin' back a beer..

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
It's been interesting reading this thread. I loved the link to 50cc records. What I noticed is that those bikes really couldn't get up much speed in a 1/4 mile. You are planning to run on a dragstrip right? I'm guessing you will need to keep accelerating into the run-out area and may need a half mile to hit 60mph. I think you can do it, but need room. Of course the track can't record any speed beyond the 1/4 mile trap.
When I first read the opening challenge to hit 60, I was thinking of a big motor on a trailer.
Craig Vetter's site is also good for steamlining. "rounded in front, tapered in back"
Craig Vetter, designer and inventor of the Windjammer fairing,Triumph Hurricane Motorcycle and fuel economy motorcycles

Rod S
reddd

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
It's been interesting reading this thread. I loved the link to 50cc records. What I noticed is that those bikes really couldn't get up much speed in a 1/4 mile. You are planning to run on a dragstrip right? I'm guessing you will need to keep accelerating into the run-out area and may need a half mile to hit 60mph. I think you can do it, but need room. Of course the track can't record any speed beyond the 1/4 mile trap.
When I first read the opening challenge to hit 60, I was thinking of a big motor on a trailer.
Craig Vetter's site is also good for steamlining. "rounded in front, tapered in back"
Craig Vetter, designer and inventor of the Windjammer fairing,Triumph Hurricane Motorcycle and fuel economy motorcycles

Rod S
reddd
Rod,

Yes we are planning on making the top speed run at a local dragstrip. This isn't for the land speed record...we're just trying to get the most out of the little Chinese engine that we can.

I'm fairly certain DV will hit top speed by the 660 mark. Our acceleration to 43mph was impressive with a lightly modified stock engine. Whatever MPH we hit at the 1/4 mile will be it. If I wanted to set the land speed record for a given cc engine, I would build one from scratch. :D

Today we found at least 1 virtually free H.P. just in the case matching, (incredible)...DV will be posting pics this evening.

Jim

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
Oh, one other Question. Will DV be pedalling to add that extra 3/4 hp? or would his flailing legs just create turbulance?

Rod

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I know it can be done with a Morni but it will be interesting to see what mods you guys do to hit the mark with a HT motor.
Pretty sure you'll be hitting 60 with the right gearing and with 4easy's topend swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.