Does This Sound Right??

GoldenMotor.com

>ScCruisin<

May 29, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey this is a very simple question and should only require one response, and thank you in advance. My back rim recently bent, so i replaced it. I took the gear off the old wheel, along with those two pad things that go around the spokes to hold the drive gear on. When installing it on my new wheel, I forgot whether those 2 pads both went on the inside of the spokes, or if one went on the inside and one on the outside. Or maybe it doesn't make a difference, so long everything works the same... COuld some one just look at their bike and let me know what you find? Thanks...

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
one of the pads goes behind the sprockets then the spokes, after that the other pads then the metal pieces. so it goes sprocket, pad, spokes, pad, metal plate, washer, lock washer, nut.
glad to help out

>ScCruisin<

May 29, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for the help, but DAMN. I just spent about an hour tightening all those bolts wrong...Im sure you all know how much of a pain in the ass it is to tighten that set up.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Fo'sho'! Cordless with an extension for the socket.

It works even better if you have the adjustable clutch on your drill, you can tighten them part way then keep upping the number on the drill until your done.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Ditto on the cordless drill...it helps to speed the process, but final tightening should always be by hand. I use a torque wrench.

The nice thing about the cordless drill is that I can use the adjustable clutch to tighten the bolts evenly by alternately tightening opposite bolts, then up the clutch a couple of clicks and doing it again.

The bad thing about the cordless drill is that stupid me bought quality- 18V Milwaukee 1/2"- and that son of a gun weighs more than my 4th born. I'm kicking around getting a 10 to 12 volt Li Ion power driver for this light duty work.

And yes, one rubber ring on the inside, one on the outside- grips the spokes better with less stress points on the spokes.