Repair or what?

GoldenMotor.com

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
I just brought a New engine but When I pedal trying to start & engage the engine, it starts & jumps very low & shuts off when I stop pedaling. it did rain here so idk if it got in my gas can & could be the problem. now if I try to engage the engine it won't start at all. im scared that water might be in my engine from the carb from me filling my gas tank from my gas can from the rain. I checked the spark plug I see spark, any help?

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Luckily water is heavier than gasoline. There is a carb bowl drain as well. Drain a little out of the carb bowl and see if it looks contaminated.

Also, are you using the choke to start it? Try moving it to different positions while starting, and don't stop pedaling. If you still have no luck, take the spark plug off and see if it's wet. And also, how much oil did you premix? Are your coil and kill switch hooked up right?

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
I received a brand new engine last week, that had 2 base gaskets installed from factory.

I would really examine the engine closely, and look for an obvious flaw.

Check the base gasket, and head gasket, and be certain that everything is o.k.

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
I checked & emptied the bowl & put the same gas in & its still not starting I have strong compression & the gaskets are on properly. do u think it could be water from the rain getting into my gas can mixing & getting into my engine? im telling yall I could hear the engine jump starting the bike but when I stop pedaling it goes out. it sounds weak when start i'll try moving the choke while starting to see if it works

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sometimes a new engine needs the choke to get it to fire just a few times, then it wants no choke to get it to start again - also, be sure the slide is all the way down in the carb

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Have you checked to be sure you have spark? These magneto coils can not get wet and will burn out in short order if they do get wet or if water gets under that cover.
Also, what is your plug gap set at? These engines don't have super strong ignitions so running a tighter gap helps, try setting the gap between .024" and .026". This will help most new engines start a lot easier.

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
so yall don't think its water damage? it was starting low at first but when I put more gas from the gas can that was sitting in the rain. it stop starting period note the spark plug was wet because I was also cleaning my bike but it was no water serious spillage or nothing major

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The problem is the magneto coil... it does NOT like water, if your having trouble with it starting and it's been sitting out in the rain or if you decided to hose down the bike to wash it, there's a really strong chance it fried the mag coil that's located under the left side cover on the engine, remove that cover and see if there's any water in there, even if it's just condensation I would recommend replacing the mag coil.
A few drops of water in the fuel is nothing compared to letting the mag coil get wet.... and the gasket provided in the kit or installed at the factory doesn't do a very good job at keeping water or moisture out. Even those of us who went in and sealed this area better with gasket sealant and sealing off the opening where the 3 wires come out, we still don't ride in the rain, store the bike where it can get rained on or wash the bike with a hose, but instead store the bike inside, cover with plastic if it has to be outside, and use other methods to keep the bikes clean... all because water KILLS mag coils.
You can drain the carb and the tank and put in some fresh fuel, but if that don't help it start, I'd be looking under that left side cover...