first breakdown

GoldenMotor.com

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
The chain popped off during about a 4 block ride today.I was just cruising casually.I ridden the bike 4 or 5 times,the longest trip was 10 blocks or so.Having ridden so many times with no problem it doesn't seem like a chain alignment to me,but I am new to this.The rear sprocket and the chain idler are tight and in same place I assembled them.It's a stinger sd kit in a huffy cranbrook.Any and all thoughts appreciated.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The chain popped off during about a 4 block ride today.
It's a stinger sd kit in a huffy cranbrook.Any and all thoughts appreciated.
'nuff said.
Hold the bike frame with one hand and pushing as hard as you can, see if the engine or back wheel moves.

Chances are both depending on how you mounted your engine but most likely that Cranbrook coaster brake wheel is shot before the engine is even broke in.
This is very common.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
new chains stretch about 1/2 inch in first 10 or 15 miles - this needs to be adjusted

motor mount studs also stretch and need tightening often for first 50 miles or so

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Actually only two things will cause a roller chain to derail. Sprocket alignment and/or tension.
A foreign object getting between the chain and sprocket would be the exception.

Many things might cause one or both to be off; engine or rear wheel moving, sprocket wobble, tensioner not set right or has moved. Etc and etc.
You'll need to do everything you can to assure that the sprockets are aligned and that the chain tension stays between 1/2" to 3/4" of slack. Proper lubrication also plays into this.

Tom

Last edited:

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
I had some success today and rode it for a mile or so around town.I realigned the engine and rear wheel.Also adjusted the chain,it had stretched quite a bit.Thanks for all input from everyone,really loving this site......