Bent rear axle

GoldenMotor.com

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
My rear axle has gradually bent, causing the wheel to be crooked. It was a 15 speed mountain bike. I did a search and couldn't find a source for a grade 8 axle or all thread. I couldn't find one local. It's a 10mm x 1.0 pitch.
I decided to use an old head bolt for a car. I don't know the grade, but I'm sure its harder after working with it and the size was close. I ground off the old threads and will need to cut down the head for proper length. I bought a new die and threaded most of it. I'll post pics if it works. It cost $6 for the die so far.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Thanks, I tried to find a heavier axle at a local bike shop and they didn't have one. Can I get one online?
I'm finding all kinds of troubles. The axle was no problem to make from the head bolt. The threads do not match the bicycle's threads. I took it to a bolt supply house, here and the closest they could determine was also a 10mm x 1.0. They said manufacturers sometimes use generic sizes? This size doesn't match the nuts and bearing races threads. Very close. So I re-tapped them only to find that the bearing races are too hard to tap and the edge of one crumbled.
Unless I can get all the parts, I'm considering going to all 7/16" or 1/2" and use sealed bearings.
I'm also looking for a tool that I can remove the gear cluster because there's a bearing and retainer nut under there.

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I have found as a rule bicycle axles have two different thread pitches, 24 threads per inch & 26 threads per inch. If this was not confusing enough, most bikes have one pitch on the rear and another pitch on the front. I think it is 26 threads per inch on the rear & 24 on the front but it could be the other way around.

As far as axles, you might try Rini Enterprises in Beaver Falls PA. Hope this helps Walter F.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Thanks Walter,
You're probably correct. The axle was thought to be a 3/8" x 24,(they didn't know about the 26) but maybe it's a 3/8" x 26. that would make more sense. The 1.0 pitch fit, but the 10mm was a little big. I'll need to explore more tomorrow when the stores are open.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I found another bike store in town. The guy had all the parts I needed. Axle, bearings, cones, nuts and a freewheel tool all for $10. He also was quite interested to see my bike. I had it back running last night.
Also checked Rini and they had lots of parts. Thanks to everyone.