New shop tools

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hey Everyone...
I finally scored some new shop 'toys' that I've been wanting for quite a while.
A good friend of mine is in a situation where he's selling off a lot of stuff he doesn't use anymore & sold me a old skool mill & lathe (& a ton of bits) that have been in his garage for years.

I can't wait to get them cleaned up & start making some of these custom bike parts I've been dreaming up.
In general, I feel like a kid at Christmas! (^)

image-3212435410.jpg

image-808489972.jpg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Those are some oldies, Norm but probably well made tools. Too bad the guy let them rust up like that but it's nothing you can't take care of.
Wish I had room for something like them.
Good luck. Show us what you build with them.

Tom

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
soak them in oil and use steel wool the rust will come off. The lathe looks like a flat belt Logan - maybe not - there is a thread dial on the cross slide but it has no quick change - does it have the lead screw gear set for threading and feed change? I am not sure what the mill is I do see it has a dividing head of some sort (very useful) and a nice strong vice. I did not see a quill handle a quill is nice for drilling and boring. I would love to find something like that for my little shop.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Good deal Norm, once my wife questioned me on a new shop tool that I wanted. I then told her that tools to men are like shoes for women and that it takes many different kinds to get the job done, she said now it all makes sense!

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
nice deal norm--- i am sure you will make some great parts

i returned an unopened harbor freight mig cause tooo many people said get a machine with gas

anyone in so cal. have a lead on a good cheap 110 mig with gas tank?????

please call 720 220 2775 leave message

i want to do what norm does so well!!!!!

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
thanks map for posting the welder info

the harbor freight is improved model 90 amp knurled wire feed rollers 89 bucks!!! on special
but no gas shielding capacity all the welders you referenced have the gas regulator

i will sit tight a few days and see if anyone has a used unit with gas
local to los angeles and then make my decision if nothing turns up that makes sense

having fun with all my grinders, angle iron cutters, and various wire brushes found that the wire brush -twisted wires on a polisher works great for removing paint or? to clean and prep to bear metal
not too fast with the variable speed of the polisher that things are prone to flying off or at you
always wear good gloves and great full face shield!!!
also loving various mandrels to shape the cut frame tubes and stays to round for sleeve reinforced connections

stay safe

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thanks map for posting the welder info

the harbor freight is improved model 90 amp knurled wire feed rollers 89 bucks!!! on special
but no gas shielding capacity all the welders you referenced have the gas regulator

i will sit tight a few days and see if anyone has a used unit with gas
local to los angeles and then make my decision if nothing turns up that makes sense

having fun with all my grinders, angle iron cutters, and various wire brushes found that the wire brush -twisted wires on a polisher works great for removing paint or? to clean and prep to bear metal
not too fast with the variable speed of the polisher that things are prone to flying off or at you
always wear good gloves and great full face shield!!!
also loving various mandrels to shape the cut frame tubes and stays to round for sleeve reinforced connections

stay safe

Hope you can find just what you want and need, I have one of the harbor freight models that will do flux core and also mig with gas sheild, I cant testify to its quality because its still new in box as of yet, I been doing all my welding with stick and torch until I get my new shop finished and then Ill break out the mig and plan to get a tig in the future also.....

Best wishes to ya and yes stay safe with those wire wheels and grinders.

Map

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
found a unimat lathe the other day
maybe i can cut sprocket gears

for a clock or watch!!!!

yeah for tools i love to find them- buy them- resurrect them and use them
just like bikes of all sizes shapes and colors

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Norm you are one lucky guy! I have always wanted exactly what you just got, well made vintage machining equipment.
I know that you will get decades of enjoyment out of them.
Congratulations!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
nice stuff bro! 70 year old usa made so much better than H.F. and both are for the hobby market. dont forget to remove the chuck key OUCH!!! whats next VMB apron's

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
So today I decided that I was finally going to practice machining some '3rd ports' for reed valve engines on some dead cylinders.
This was my very first try... (I'm real happy with the results)! :D

image-3569977707.jpg