Brand new to gas bikes.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludford

May 5, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Hey guys, really new to gas bikes. Didn't even know they were a thing till last week.

I immediately went out and bought an old second hand bike for as cheap as possible and ordered one of those cheap chinese kits on ebay. (I can already hear people face palming)

I have no doubt this will likely break soon as they're made of old beer cans lol. But it's just a proof of concept for me at the moment.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Some of those cheap Chinese motor kits have held up very well. It's luck of the draw.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Welcome! No SMH; these kits are cheap, but like bread is cheap. It's what you do with it that counts. You may ruin an engine of two, but only through ignorance of how they operate. Be patient with your China Girl...treat her with respect. She'll give you literally THOUSANDS of happy miles if you know what to expect of her, and if you listen to her...smell her...and feel her needs. (that sounded creepy, but it's true). If you like throwing back a few pints, ALWAYS remind yourself that your China Girl is a delicate flower, and although she'll try to do whatever you demand of her, she's not a high-performance engine; don't abuse her.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My cheap china kit has been fantastic fun and trouble free! (although, I am an experienced 2stroke guy) Take things slow and easy while assembling and search here for LOTS of good info to keep your china girl loving you long time!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

My 'cheap internet kit' has also served me well! If you run into a problem, most likely you're not the first --- someone here can help. Good luck with your newest hobby.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
welcome to the forum dude . Don't run cheap oil . get rid of that Chinese plug and get yourself an NGK B7HS plug. always run premium gas . be gentle very gentle and I mean very gentle on your break in .good luck Padre .

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Most of these two stroke engines are low compression so that they're easy to crank. So unless you've up the compression to around 15:1 don't run premium. 87 is best for anything 9.1:1 or less. It has to do with a process called detonation . This is the point of combustion due to compression. The objective is to have the detonation and the spark at the same time so you get maximum burn. Running premium in a low compression it will spark before the detonation point. This results in power loss and residue being left in the cylinder. If you run 87 in a high compression the detonation point occurs before the spark resulting in knocking and the engine still trying to run after its cut off. If you up the compression it will give you more power but also will be harder to crank.

I use to be making the same mistake about premium gas. Like most people I thought higher price and octane more power. This forum taught me better. To conclude unless you've up the compression considerably use 87.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
This subject has been discussed several times before. I too at first didn't want to believe 87 could be better in low compression engines than 93. So I did lots of research and found the detonation point is lower in 87 than 93. After the research I was willing to come back on here and admit I was wrong. I now run 87 in my 4 stroke engine and it does perform better. I'm also fortunate to be able to run 100% gas in my hometown. But from all the research I've done it said any compression below 9.1:1 use 87.

Last edited:

Ludford

May 5, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Got my kit now almost done fitting it, the instructions are pretty bad and it doesn't detail how to start the engine.

Is it just a matter of holding in the clutch, riding it along then releasing the clutch?

Ludford

May 5, 2013
Birmingham, UK
So the instructions REALLY don't make this clear. I have a blue and white wire coming from the coil. The instructions say "Attach to engine". Where?

Also it says "Attach kill switch to engine" but where again?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Ignore the white-wire; it's a low-voltage (like 6V) lead meant for a headlight. Either insulate it, or cut it off at the coil. Attach the blue from the engine to the blue on the CDI...you can guess where the blacks connect! As for the kill-switch, all that does is short out the black/blue wires. Attach the kill-switch wires to the CDI/Engine connection-point; it doesn't matter which way.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Yes, dont worry about using premium gas the only thing that will do is make the oil company happy (so I was told myself by one of the best guys here!) Good luck on your build I am doing the same myself been cursing my chain tensioner for about.... 3 days now!!! Uhhhh!! Welcome hope it all goes smooth! :)

Ludford

May 5, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Just fitting the clutch which is the last thing to do. What does it actually do? That little lever doesn't seem like it could effect anything.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Got my kit now almost done fitting it, the instructions are pretty bad and it doesn't detail how to start the engine.

Is it just a matter of holding in the clutch, riding it along then releasing the clutch?
(1) Open fuel valve
(2) Hold in clutch lever
(3) Peddle
(4) Release clutch lever

If it is a cold start, prime engine with carb button, choke up the carb and choke it down after it starts.

Ludford

May 5, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Just got it out and tried to start it but I don't think it should be like this.

The back wheel is almost impossible to turn, and after a few attempts at starting it's now complete seized.

I got the clutch pulling hard on the lever when pressed in but it doesn't allow the back wheel to freewheel it's still seized. Even with the spark plug out it wont turn at all. Starting to worry now.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Just got it out and tried to start it but I don't think it should be like this.

The back wheel is almost impossible to turn, and after a few attempts at starting it's now complete seized.

And how is the clutch cable ment to go on? Does it PULL on the lever on the engine or PUSH on it? Mine keeps coming off.
Make sure it is connected to the lever on the handlebars. Put the large spring over the cable, it acts as a heat shield so the cable won't burn resting against the cylinder, put the steel part of the cable through the hole on the engine case, put the small spring over the cable as it comes out, put the cable through the clutch hole on the clutch, pull cable as tightly as possible, screw the set screw in to hold the cable in place. Now test it, pull the clutch lever and lock it with the button, the clutch should pull open and the rear wheel should turn easily. Here is an instillation guide video, the clutch assembly is shown at 8:28 (step 7). Hope that helps.

Ludford

May 5, 2013
Birmingham, UK
I've got the clutch installed now but squeezing the handle doesn't allow the rear wheel to turn. It's completely siezed as is the engine. It wont even move with the spark plug out.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I've got the clutch installed now but squeezing the handle doesn't allow the rear wheel to turn. It's completely siezed as is the engine. It wont even move with the spark plug out.
Is the clutch lever on the engine case moving toward the small spring? If not, the cable is not tight enough, pull the cable as tightly as possible with needle nose pliers and hold it tight while you tighten the set screw. Try using your hand to push the clutch (on the engine case) toward the small spring, it should be hard to push but once pushed in the wheel should turn easily.