Noob Army tech, I've been bit by the motorized bicycle bug

GoldenMotor.com

Kapelusprime

Mar 6, 2013
Buffalo, NY
usflgLike the title says I'm a SSG in the Army and my MOS is mechanic. I got a Micargi Rover NX3 for Fathers day last year. Now I've run into these cool machines and I've been bit by the bug. From what I've read already I see I need to ditch the front and back rims and get some high strength rims and a standard Shimano CB 110 or 110E so as to use the MM adapter. I don't want a race bike but dig the rat rod look and the red rim and white walls hooked me to these bikes. If any of you guys have built one of these frames. Please let me know what forks I can use and what rim and tires you used. I like the quality on the jakebikes site for motor kits but am open to suggestions for all things when it comes to mount and chain clearance ect. Again I'm a noob and here in Buffalo NY, down the road from Tonawanda GM powertrain and Ford stamping we have a large hotrod scene here. My brother is a boilermaker and owns a tube bender and one **** of a welding kit. We both are looking forward to your input We dig lowrider bike, but this is a new barrel of monkeys.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Re: Noob Army tech, I've been bit by the MB bug

usflgLike the title says I'm a SSG in the Army and my MOS is mechanic. I got a Micargi Rover NX3 for Fathers day last year. Now I've run into these cool machines and I've been bit by the bug. From what I've read already I see I need to ditch the front and back rims and get some high strength rims and a standard Shimano CB 110 or 110E so as to use the MM adapter. I don't want a race bike but dig the rat rod look and the red rim and white walls hooked me to these bikes. If any of you guys have built one of these frames. Please let me know what forks I can use and what rim and tires you used. I like the quality on the jakebikes site for motor kits but am open to suggestions for all things when it comes to mount and chain clearance ect. Again I'm a noob and here in Buffalo NY, down the road from Tonawanda GM powertrain and Ford stamping we have a large hotrod scene here. My brother is a boilermaker and owns a tube bender and one **** of a welding kit. We both are looking forward to your input We dig lowrider bike, but this is a new barrel of monkeys.
Hi Kapelusprime, welcome to the forum from Dallas. I built a Rover a couple years ago for a friend. She still has it and like it very much. I did a tune up on for her last summer, and her stock wheels are getting pretty warpped alright, the rear is anyway.

I've found on all my bikes that replacing the wheels with good quality ones is about the best thing you can do for dependability. You can buy ready made wheels sometimes for good prices, but I've been getting them made for me at bike shops. REI has been good to me. You'll want a strong double wall rim. Sun, Rhyno lite rims are good low cost double rims. 12g spokes would be better with double wall, but most bike shops only want to use 14g. When the rim is strong enough 14g will last pretty good. Don't get wider than 30mm or you'll run into clearance problems with the tire. Mine are 27.5 mm. A 2.25 tire is about the biggest you can run. The CB110 coaster hub is a good one and they don't cost much. About $30. Expect to pay about 200-250 for a ready made double wall rim, coaster break wheel with 12g or 14g spokes. The Pirate hub adapter is a good one.

I bought a Sturmey Archer XL-FD drum brake, and had it laced to the rim I bought. They also have brake hubs with generators built in to.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/2/id/48/specs/1

I'm liking Flying Horse 80 motors best lately. You can find them at BikeBerry.

Here's a video of the Rover I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXysa1FNzEs

Last edited:

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

welcome to a wonderful world of info right here on this forum...thanks for joining our mb revolution Kapelusprime....im in naugatuck connecticut, a few hours south of you, but this is the perfect time to get ur rover done...spring is coming and im sure you know what its like here in new england during that time...i foresee many late nights, busted knuckles and hours of smiling in your future...good luck and most of all if you cant find an answer just ask...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Welcome to the forum, Sarge.
You've come to the right place to get you on the road. Lots of very knowledgable builders with experience and willing to share.

My guess is you're at Fort Drum? My brother, a Florida resident, was there for one winter and said he never wanted to go back. Snow on the ground for six months out of a year :) You'll be happy when Spring gets here. Keep us informed of your progress.

Tom

Kapelusprime

Mar 6, 2013
Buffalo, NY

Hi Kapelusprime, welcome to the forum from Dallas. I built a Rover a couple years ago for a friend. She still has it and like it very much. I did a tune up on for her last summer, and her stock wheels are getting pretty warpped alright, the rear is anyway.

I've found on all my bikes that replacing the wheels with good quality ones is about the best thing you can do for dependability. You can buy ready made wheels sometimes for good prices, but I've been getting them made for me at bike shops. REI has been good to me. You'll want a strong double wall rim. Sun, Rhyno lite rims are good low cost double rims. 12g spokes would be better with double wall, but most bike shops only want to use 14g. When the rim is strong enough 14g will last pretty good. Don't get wider than 30mm or you'll run into clearance problems with the tire. Mine are 27.5 mm. A 2.25 tire is about the biggest you can run. The CB110 coaster hub is a good one and they don't cost much. About $30. Expect to pay about 200-250 for a ready made double wall rim, coaster break wheel with 12g or 14g spokes. The Pirate hub adapter is a good one.

I bought a Sturmey Archer XL-FD drum brake, and had it laced to the rim I bought. They also have brake hubs with generators built in to.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/2/id/48/specs/1

I'm liking Flying Horse 80 motors best lately. You can find them at BikeBerry.

Here's a video of the Rover I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXysa1FNzEs
Sweet inspiration! What did you use for a front motor mount? Looks to be some flat 1/25 inch flat steel stock a hockey puck cut to shape and ubolt covered in a rubber tube. I need help with terminology mostly. I want to put a springer fork on, What do I look for when it comes to size (1 in) etc how do I measure what I have. I also want to replace the crank and pedals, what do I look for there to know what I have or need for replacement? Would you use that electric hub up front? I'm digging the look of the black hawk I saw on a site for sale complete on another site. At $3000 I'd rather build a facsimile of it myself. I like the flat black look with either flat springer forks or chrome with dual headlights and led my existing tail light. All this may be ambitious for my first build but I'd like to end with a nice finished product. Where do you get that chain tension idler, I'm going to use your motor and chain set up. I've seen some folks leave a long chain on when it looks like a chain tool and master link would help shorten the issue of taking up a lot of slack. Any reason? or is it just getting proper angle into the motor housing? Last of the many questions for now, if I use the rim size you gave me, which sounds just fine to me. Will that also accommodate a front disk kit you can get on the spring forks?

Thanks Folks for the input and please feel free to keep comment and input. I will post step by steps and finish product when I'm done. I'm pumped to get started!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

@ biknut........ Sweet inspiration! What did you use for a front motor mount? Looks to be some flat 1/25 inch flat steel stock a hockey puck cut to shape and ubolt covered in a rubber tube. I need help with terminology mostly. I want to put a springer fork on, What do I look for when it comes to size (1 in) etc how do I measure what I have. I also want to replace the crank and pedals, what do I look for there to know what I have or need for replacement? Would you use that electric hub up front? I'm digging the look of the black hawk I saw on a site for sale complete on another site. At $3000 I'd rather build a facsimile of it myself. I like the flat black look with either flat springer forks or chrome with dual headlights and led my existing tail light. All this may be ambitious for my first build but I'd like to end with a nice finished product. Where do you get that chain tension idler, I'm going to use your motor and chain set up. I've seen some folks leave a long chain on when it looks like a chain tool and master link would help shorten the issue of taking up a lot of slack. Any reason? or is it just getting proper angle into the motor housing? Last of the many questions for now, if I use the rim size you gave me, which sounds just fine to me. Will that also accommodate a front disk kit you can get on the spring forks?

Thanks Folks for the input and please feel free to keep comment and input. I will post step by steps and finish product when I'm done. I'm pumped to get started!
I'll try to answer most of your questions. I'f I leave something out just ask again.

Sounds like you understand the front mount pretty well. The front motor mount is made out of a hockey puck, a common automotive $3 muffler clamp, and a piece flat steel stock, bend and drilled to fit. It's attached tightly to the frame, and there's very little give to it.

In this vid there's a pretty good look at the motor mount @ 3:11 This was a different bike but the only difference on this bike is the steel plate is reversed. Instead of over the mount, it's under. I like to do it whichever way lets the motor sit lowest in the frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUHadQpNnQ

I think you may be in luck with a springer fork on that bike. The springers I've seen for sale only come with 1" steerer tubes. I think the Rovers are one inch. You'll have to remove the forks and measure the steerer tube to be sure. If you want a disk brake on the front you'll need to get a wheel made with a disk brake hub. ViniceMotorBikes sells a disk brake adapter for springer forks to hold the caliper.

http://venicemotorbikes.com/shop/?product=disc-brake-adapter-plate-for-chrome-springer-forks

You can find springer forks on ebay.

It's pretty easy to replace the pedal crank, but there's all different kinds to choose from. one piece, three piece, sealed bearings, alloy, steel. What comes stock on that bike is called, one piece, American style. The whole in the frame where the crank goes through is called a bottom bracket (BB). If you do go to the trouble to change the crank, it's a good idea to lower the gearing a little. There's nothing like pedaling a 60lb broken down motor bicycle about 5 miles with stock gearing LOL. the front sprocket is probably about 45T. 40T would be mo betta.

That bike has a pretty nice top tube, and it's shame to mess up the paint with a stock fuel tank, that will probably break anyway. Consider some other type of tank. Here's a thread about making the ones I used. This will cost about $100 extra.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=27428

The chain tensioner I made for the Rover is made from a stock tensioner just mounted differently. This just requires some conduit clamps and some drilling. Maybe some slight bending. It's a little extra trouble but a lot more dependable than stock. I recommend it.

When you order the hub adapter get either a 40T or 36T sprocket. If you have a lot of hills get the 40T. 40T = a little over 30+ mph. 36T about 35+ mph. At the same time buy the KMC Industrial 415 Chain from Pirate.

What did I forget?

Kapelusprime

Mar 6, 2013
Buffalo, NY

Thankyou biknut! I got some more reading to do then I'll be back to ask a few more without driving you nuts. Off the top of my head, what do you think about possable jack shaft instead of leftside drive. Am I right in thinking I could use the nexus 3 speed hub and lace it with 12g spokes to replace the 14g on there? Then find a red doubled walled rim too the spec you gave me?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Thankyou biknut! I got some more reading to do then I'll be back to ask a few more without driving you nuts. Off the top of my head, what do you think about possable jack shaft instead of leftside drive. Am I right in thinking I could use the nexus 3 speed hub and lace it with 12g spokes to replace the 14g on there? Then find a red doubled walled rim too the spec you gave me?
The first thing about jackshafts you need to find out is how it effects legality in your state. It could make you a motorcycle in some states.