Clever Bike Names

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is true. Wut BN said. They do all have their own personalities and will express them selves as such. Like children. They will grow and be their own thing and about make you crazy. But ya love em any way.

(but unlike children, you can hit em with stuff)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Is true. Wut BN said. They do all have their own personalities and will express them selves as such. Like children. They will grow and be their own thing and about make you crazy. But ya love em any way.

(but unlike children, you can hit em with stuff)
I don't know about Moosylvania, But in California there's probably a law.
fatdaddy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What I learned from this thread is you don't name the bike. The bike tells you it's name. Just think about it.
Which is exactly how I came up with a name for my latest chopper. 'Impulse' because so far everything I've done has been an impulse born of hours of sitting and looking at it. Suddenly, impulsively, I come up with an idea and go back to work. 'Impulse'. Fancy gold script on a black fuel tank? I like it! :)

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
It took a while to name my first bike. After a couple tanks of gas I opened her up WOT. I SWEAR TO BUDDA, 45mph, STOCK. So that one was Zippy.
My next build was a tadpole recumbent, three wheels of course. I had just finished it and Janis Joplin came on my oldies station singing Cry Baby. I don't know why, but my brain just went to Tri-Baby.
My next one, A Huffy Cranbrook, just sucked all my money building it, so It's The Hussy. Isn't that what hussies do? make you happy to spend all your money on them. Yup, That's my Hussy.
fatdaddy.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Which is exactly how I came up with a name for my latest chopper. 'Impulse' Tom
It took a while to name my first bike. After a couple tanks of gas I opened her up WOT. I SWEAR TO BUDDA, 45mph, STOCK. So that one was Zippy.
You guys know what I'm talking about, as I would expect experienced builders like yourselves would know.

An example of a wrong name, if I named my Deep 6 I might have named it, Number 6, but that's just wrong LOL.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I got this gasbike from a guy who had gotten a dui- because I got a dui. It's a cruiser, and it reminds me of an old military bike. So I'll paint it desert tan with a number plate vertical from the front fender reading: DUI02. Or Porche, after my 1st love... wait... what was her name?! Can anybody read my neck tatoo? lol

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
"Black *****", because I was doing a two day job spreading black multch in order to buy parts to get my engine working again.
You can't seriously be totally unaware of how incredibly racist that sounds. It's your bike and I suppose you can call it what you like, but there is no way of explaining it that it won't still sound racist. It would be like me saying a racial slur and saying I don't mean it that way. It kinda doesn't matter how something is intended when it has those kind of negative connotations.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
You can't seriously be totally unaware of how incredibly racist that sounds. It's your bike and I suppose you can call it what you like, but there is no way of explaining it that it won't still sound racist. It would be like me saying a racial slur and saying I don't mean it that way. It kinda doesn't matter how something is intended when it has those kind of negative connotations.
Yes, I am aware of it, but that's not the meaning behind it. People are usually too quick to judge before they have facts and that is usually not my problem. Besides, I don't have a nameplate for it, just written down in my travel and maintenance log.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yes, I am aware of it, but that's not the meaning behind it. People are usually too quick to judge before they have facts and that is usually not my problem. Besides, I don't have a nameplate for it, just written down in my travel and maintenance log.
Wow. Its not your problem if people get offended because you call your bike something that has definite racist connotations? Ok so you don't have a nameplate for it. But you don't care what anyone on this forum thinks? As I said before, you can call your bike what you want, but I don't think anyone on this forum wants to hear it being said. I know I certainly don't.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Wow. Its not your problem if people get offended because you call your bike something that has definite racist connotations? Ok so you don't have a nameplate for it. But you don't care what anyone on this forum thinks? As I said before, you can call your bike what you want, but I don't think anyone on this forum wants to hear it being said. I know I certainly don't.
That is why there are word censors on here. Besides, if something that sounds derogatory to you but has been shown to mean something else, offends you then I think you allow your emotions to be easily bruised. One persons opinion is also not the holy grail of truth either. As an offensive name, I think it is quite sexy and vulgar representing the purpose of the bike I built the name for - a test bike that I intend to run into the ground. It isn't a bike that is beautiful, or adorned, totally utilitarian, and meant to be abused for the sake of learning and experience. So, the bike truly is a b$$tch, and it's blackness has nothing to do with the color of someones skin. Anyway, back to work. I didn't know this would mean so much to people.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah Big, I agree with EVERYTHING you said. I would have jumped in earlier but I just got back from an overnight in the hospital.
I've been going with a black girl for almost 20 years, and I'm as white as it gets. I don't talk that crap, NO ONE SHOULD, especially on an open forum. Even if you don't mean it to be racial, In todays PC world one should know better.
So, Think it in your head all you want, No one else wants to hear it.
fatdaddy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, back on topic, guys. I don't want to delete posts or certainly not close a thread but stop the arguments. If you feel strongly about another member's post report it to the staff or ignore it. This has been a fun and interesting thread. Don't ruin it.

Tom

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
This one I have had rattling around in my head for a while: Ginger. Here's my convoluted logic. I am in the process of modifying the plans for a 32cc v-twin engine. I'd like to make a 49cc and instead of the 90 degree design, I'd like to change it to 60-70 degrees. I am changing the case and few other things to make it mount in a frame like a China Girl and to make it as inexpensive as possible. The original plans I purchased were from J.E. Howell. Mr. Howell. Since I'm changing things up a bit and making it out to be a bit of a diva I thought I'd name it Ginger. Maybe some orange anodized parts or copper highlights.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm collecting the parts for my old fashioned European cyclemotor build, and it occurs to me that I require something to make people smile. So in honour of all hack journalists everywhere who describe motorcycles automatically as "roaring, powrful", I think I'm going with Roaring Powerful for a 1.3 horse, 16mph, old fashioned bicycle.

As an extra comment to the previous discussion, years ago in the cheap and fun racing I used to do, we had people starting to become Very Serious, very joyless in their pursuit of winning. As team head, I decided that we should have a name that would be as ridiculous and unlikely to be seen as Serious as possible.

I still rejoice in the knowledge that I was team manger for the Gay Nazi Dance Band.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm collecting the parts for my old fashioned European cyclemotor build, and it occurs to me that I require something to make people smile. So in honour of all hack journalists everywhere who describe motorcycles automatically as "roaring, powrful", I think I'm going with Roaring Powerful for a 1.3 horse, 16mph, old fashioned bicycle.
How about Bullwinkle?