Ammo Case Saddle Bags

GoldenMotor.com

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Well, I thought of an idea for sturdy, solid saddle bags.

AMMO CASES!

something small and you just build a bracket that fits over a rack?

I don't know. It' somethin to think about, I will definitely try this

Any thoughts?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i dunno what size. it's like 4"x12"x8" i think. it's perfect for a U-lock, smokes, and a soda. and i can stuff my backpack into it if i need to carry bigger stuff.

i got the backwards engine idea from Norm. can't post links from my phone, but search "backwards engine experiment" and it'll pop up.

the bike in that thread also has an ammo can.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
heres an ammo can on one of my bicycles . ( 50 mm and grenade can )
just painted it black and stuck a sticker on it .

mine is not bolted on .. it slips over the back tube so i can just grab it and go . Holds 8 tall cans . the box is a bit wide though . i would go with the narrower box . Its a bit heavy ... next time i,ll use a hello kitty lunch box .

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Tomorrow's my day off so Ill prolly ride up to my local army surplus store and see what they got cause the ammo box I have right now is HUGE! way too big to go on a bike

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I had another great idea...

what about putting tail lights and maybe turn signals in said boxes?
Sounds like a great idea. There are all kinds of styles of lights you could use, the options are nearly unlimited. The thumb-switch controls shouldn't be hard to get from anyplace that does motorsports parts. There are a few threads on turn signals if I remember correctly.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
here's the link to my first backwards engine bike :http://motorbicycling.com/f38/backwards-engine-experiment-1939-colson-13458.html

here's my other bike with an ammo can. it has a taillight in it, but you can't tell from the pic:

the first bike on page one has the batteries for the taillight inside the can, also.

i'd love to rig a small fuel pump and seal up an ammo can and use it for a tank. but i haven't figured that one out yet...

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
i'd love to rig a small fuel pump and seal up an ammo can and use it for a tank. but i haven't figured that one out yet...
You'd almost be looking for something like a small aquarium pump, or the little submersible pump from a pet fountain, but I doubt they'd be fuel-safe. I have an all brass in-line pump from an old pop machine but it's far too large and far too high a flowrate. Have you checked for pumps for R/C builds? I would think some of the larger planes would have to have something to feed the multiple engines equally.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
you could use a vacuum pulse operated fuel pump from a snowmobile or ultralight engine. Just have to tap the intake or crankcase for a pulse line.