North of the Fresh Water

GoldenMotor.com

dublergofast

Jul 30, 2008
I live in the GTA, And i have gone thru 3 CDI boxes on 1 bike???
COuld this be a problem with my bike or the way the CDI's are made?
I noticed other CDI's for small engines have heat syncs to cool them down and ours are completely shrouded in plastic, could this cause the untit to over heat and short circuit?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Nice bikes.

I honestly don't think we can compare our CDI's to real cdi units. I've swatted flies heavier than these cdi's. To think that there is a decent coil in there...yeah right.

I've been on a somewhat quest to find a suitable replacement magneto/cdi combo, but it's not going well. I may just not know exactly where to look. It would require a little fab work, but I was thinking that a magneto and cdi from a battery-less small-motor 2-stroke dirtbike might work.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Hey do me a big favor and tell me what the CDI is going symptoms are, I have a problem with a very irregular, riding like I am on RR ties, and I gone through a mess of things, and realize that anything timing would be relative to how this bike engine, (Chinese Kings 80cc), is running.

dublergofast

Jul 30, 2008
Hey,
I had irregularity with my bike, i thought it was the cdi. the bike just would not fire . try taking a look at all engine seals. i.e intake + exhaust gaskets and carb seal. also check inside tank filter for leftover residue that may be cloging the in tank fuel filter.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Hello from Ontario, this forum and all you smart guys have helped me out a lot.
Has anyone else had problems with the cdi's?
Hi Dublergofast, good to see other people from Ontario here,!!I,m from just north of Newmarket but work in the city.
If you followed the directions from the manufacturer to wire up your kill switch thats mounted on the throttle that will kill your CDI and burn out the magneto in short order. The best and correct way to wire up is to forget using the killswitch altogether. Wire up the blue wire from CDI to blue wire from engine ,black from CDI to black from engine and cap off the white wire. You can put a switch in between the blue wires to kill the power from the CDI.You can get the little metal switch from Canadian Tire auto dept and mount it in a little plastic pill box or something. I will post some pictures of my setup in a day or 2. This setup will prevent any more problems with burning out CDI and magnetos.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had a prob with a CDI drove me crazy for a day bike would run untill you let the clutch out about a mile down the road would loose power. Spark breaks down when under load, when shes a limping!!!!!!