Thruster Fixie? Noob Diving!

GoldenMotor.com

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
So tomorrow I can start ordering 'stuff' for my new motorized bike. First timer here! Hey! And of course budget is key. The Huffy Karaoke looks great by the pics here and affordable. What do you think of the Thruster fixie? Are mountain and cruiser frames recommended over road?

I'd switch out the brakes for sure but the frame is steel. Anyway, like I said the Karaoke looks like a great way to start. Any info welcome!

Best,
Xeta

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Yeah, that really caught my attention. Love the space and the price- It's $99. Not sure about the wheels strength wise though- I think there are fewer spokes. I could always change the handles bars later on... I saw it today while at Walmart.

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
From what I can tell from the very few pictures of the thruster fixie online- it looks like there are sprockets on the other side of the hub. This would be a good thing yes? Meaning I could attach a large sprocket to the hub directly, maybe?

I think I'm leaning towards this bike for the frame and the back wheel. I'll take a closer look at Wallys tomorrow before deciding.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I was just wondering: is this bike a true "fixie"? Isn't motorizing a fixie bad, unless you add a freewheel sprocket into the mix someplace? Won't the pedals start spinning like eggbeaters once the engine kicks in? Just wonderin'.

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
**** AW. I knew that and forgot that... hmmm I might not be opposed to adding a single speed freewheel to the mix since the other side will still be fixed right? It does look like a flip flop hub- I think.

Where I live it's pretty much all flat and am not planning a move anytime soon so I'm not worried about other speeds. My 150cc scooter passed away last month and twice I had to walk it home quite a distance before she finally gave out. As long as I can pedal her home I'll be happy. Plus I'm not in a mad rush so modding time isn't an issue.

I just bought an engine on ebay! Woohoo! How exciting! A noobs life for me ;)

I'll edit here since my pic posts haven't posted yet then I'll run silent. Promise. From what I can tell this is a tamed Kent Takara Kabuto fixie selling for 199+ minus the drop down handle bars and souped up pedals. Not 100% sure. I'm off to Wally this morning to pick it up. Will switch out the cheesey brakes for some I took off a trek a few years ago and start modding away!

Anyway, good to be here! Haven't had this much bicycle thinking fun since I rebuilt my Nishiki International a ways back.

Last edited:

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Another noob question. Sorry if this is an old idea would love a link if there is one.

Couldn't I add the single speed freewheel pedal-side and leave the fixed sprocket drive-side and add on an adjustable sprocket tensioner pulley via an attachment plate to the stays?

Just thinking out loud.

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Good news here. One side has a freewheel and the other side is fixed.

Now we wait for the engine...

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Xeta, welcome. Really like the way your bike looks. Waiting for that brown box is agonizing, eh?

Post lots of pics!

Oh, ya never gotta worry about asking questions. Some great folks here and your amongst friends.

Ride safe and build cool!

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Hi Dan!

And thanx for the welcome! I lurked here quite a bit a while back. Feels good to be in the mix. Now the waiting! :) I just took the bike for a first ride and so far so good. At least I have the shipping time to be prepare for 'the' engine's arrival. The bike is parked in my tiled livingroom and I keep staring at it! Not a thing I can do today but the wheels are turning!

Yeah, scoot's gone :( But you know, the excitement of having power again and with something I can really tweak and I don't have to remove a gazillion panels and stuff- is awesome!

Best wishes,
Xeta

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Hey, does anyone think I could get away with a 22 tooth cog? I haven't found a 27 or 36 yet for fixed gear but I'm a lookin'!

douglasseattle

Oct 5, 2010
United States
They would never use a true fixed gear on a cheap bike. I think you would be better off to spend a bit more. I picked up a clearance bike from nashbar.com Has good components, chromoly frame and certainly the brakes are better. It ran 175 and is comparable to a 500 model.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Oh my god! I saw a few of these bikes at Wal mart once and thought "I could motorize one of these"! I liked how simplistic they are, and I especially like the colored tires! I went back to Wal Mart to get one the next day and all of them were bought up. :(

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh my god! I saw a few of these bikes at Wal mart once and thought "I could motorize one of these"! I liked how simplistic they are, and I especially like the colored tires! I went back to Wal Mart to get one the next day and all of them were bought up. :(
Could order em online Moz and use the free shipping to store option?

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
When I saw it at the store I went home to see if it was online and it wasn't. Went back the next day and bought it. An employee said it was too new to be online. Maybe it's there now, haven't checked.

I'm in the process of mounting the engine, Know that apparently the rear hub maker Quando is thought to be crap among other bike users. I had all kinds of plans to do this and that to fix the sprocket to the hub. Ended up going all JB Weld on it's arse- plus some extra.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/flip-flop-locking-question-33375-2.html

Replacing the rim tape tomorrow and bought new tubes as one already had a leak :0

duhnnn, duhnn... duhnn...

meowmeowtime

Oct 15, 2011
Tampa
Hey Xeta, I am also considering buying this bike as I got a quick chance to ride it in the store. I will have to buy it online though. I am wondering if you could measure the frame for me, I'm 6'1'' and all it says on the walmart site is the actual size of the bike as a whole. I don't want to get a bike that is too small, I remember it being decent but like I said, I only rode it for about 30 seconds before a worker kicked me off.

Thanks!