Huffy Big Daddy Lowrider

GoldenMotor.com

GoGetHer

Apr 8, 2010
Lake Wedowee AL
Working on customizing a Huffy Big Daddy cruiser. So far I trashed to fenders, got a bent springer front fork and ape hangers. I am going to paint the handlebars and front fork black. Here's a few pics to get the general idea/look of the ride. Will get a black engine and working on making rear round gas tank to keep the top bar clean. Bike was $55 at academy sports, can't beat that price.

Attachments

REDI

Jun 10, 2010
Los Angeles
I have to say, as a kid I had my share of huffys.....and the scars to prove it when they have fallen apart while ridin. That being said, i love the looks of that frame and for $55. I just spent $35 for the back tire/tube on my chopper. Great find, hope she stays together.....lol.

GoGetHer

Apr 8, 2010
Lake Wedowee AL
Well got the handlebars and front fork off for painting. Engine mounted and chain is on. I was able to maintain proper tension in both the drive chain and pedal chain. I am trying to get by without using the chain tensioner on this build. So far I think the engine sets and looks nice in the frame. I utilized the sick bicycle parts front engine adapter due to the long distance from back down frame to front. Works nicely except I had to drill holes in adapter plate wider, would not line up with holes on engine. Maybe the chinese man was off that day on drilling correct aligned holes on the engine, too much Tsingtao.
dance1

Attachments

GoGetHer

Apr 8, 2010
Lake Wedowee AL
Looking at building a custom rear mount tank for this build. I would like to keep the top bar clean looking. All the round tanks are way to expensive, even the vintage ones on ebay. Sooooooo I was thinking, if a small propane tank can hold pressurized propane, why not gas? I will utilize a marine vent cap for the gas tank, as the cap. It has vent holes in top with screen. I will use JB weld to secure the nut to a hole I have drilled into tank. Then the vent cap will just screw into secured nut on propane tank. That way I can unscrew to filler up, using a funnel. I hope this works. Here's the general idea anyway.
:-||

Attachments

GoGetHer

Apr 8, 2010
Lake Wedowee AL
Finally got the wife to paint the handlebars, springer fork, and bolts and stuff. I tried my luck at painting but screwed it up. I'm the mechanic, and builder, not the painter, dang-it. Anyway I'm liking the look so far. Need to get the handlebars on tomorrow then start hooking everything up to the motor. Cant' wait to see how it feels cruising on it.
zpt

Attachments

cuberasnapper

Feb 22, 2011
Florida
looks good i have one too but dont plan on that rear hub lasting more than a month if your lucky i replaced it with the grubee hd axel/hub no problems after that

GoGetHer

Apr 8, 2010
Lake Wedowee AL
looks good i have one too but dont plan on that rear hub lasting more than a month if your lucky i replaced it with the grubee hd axel/hub no problems after that

I have the Huffy Karaoke motorized and been riding it for at least 6-8 months, no problems yet with rear hub. I figure the same hub I would think. However I do not use bike as a daily commuter, just for riding around back roads near my house.

Put on handlebars and placed throttle and carb onto bike yesterday. Got springer front end on, coming together now. However while placing on clutch I had to spread the opening sum to get onto handlebars and while spreading open with pliers it broke. With very little effort actually. Oh well I see piratebikes have the clutch lever for $7.50.
:-||

Attachments

GoGetHer

Apr 8, 2010
Lake Wedowee AL
YEAH, I finally completed the Big Daddy. Really happy with the turnout. Looks and rides AWESOME. I think I'm in love with the springer fork, much better for absorbing the bumps in the road. Now the wife wants one for her Green Machine. The Big Daddy is a rocket too, engine was already broken in from previous built but I think having the chain to proper length without using the tensioner, does make a difference, less resistance I guess.

.trk

Attachments

Last edited:

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Man i like the build the front forks really make this bike look right. I also like the tank behind the seat,the top bar is really arched and on my buddies build we had to heat and beat the lower part of the tank to sit right on the bar. I used two propane bottles cut and welded the round ends together on a build that i havent completed as of yet. Tricky welding the thin metal. .

Last edited:

GoGetHer

Apr 8, 2010
Lake Wedowee AL
Thanks for the comment. I actually got some of my idea about using the propane bottle form your pic as I was searching on this site. I just have no welding skills so I had to make one bottle work. So far no problems, yet. It looks tough with the bottle in the back under seat, the old custom rat rod look.

p309

Sep 27, 2011
Yava, AZ
I'm new here- but I couldn't let that stop me from commenting on your bike. You did a fantastic job, it looks really nice.

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
Way cool build! I'm very intrigued by the propane tank idea. I'm new and just completed my first build. I decided right away that the tank was not going on the top tube, so I mounted it on the rack with the intention of replacing it with something custom. Did you run into any trouble drilling into this thing? How do you make CERTAIN there's no pressure or residual gas in it before you drill it? I'm considering devising a way to puncture a propane tank from a distance. Is this over cautious?

dakota47l1

Oct 2, 2011
st louis mo.
man that looks cool!!!i was going to get that big daddy but it looked like more issues than i needed to get into at this time...so i got the huffy nel luso...from what i have seen it looks like i will have an ez build...fingers crossed;)if anyone in the st. louis mo. area has done this before i might need some help!!my e-mail addy is [email protected] dance1