Hello All

GoldenMotor.com

PatTheThird

Apr 24, 2011
Southern Maryland
I have been reading posts here since my friend rode up in front of my house with a Schwinn bike equiped with a 66cc. I drive a 04 GTO. I LOVE my car, i hate to fill it up.
I immediately set off to build my own. I live 3 miles from work and can burn off 14 gallons of premium unleaded a week driving almost nowhere. I pieced together a Jamis Explorer 1.0 and ordered a SkyHawk kit from Gasbike.net. I wasnt totally happy with them but i wont get into that now.
To make a long story short, i have dumped a grand into this thing easy. I'm not exagerating, i will itemize if cornered:)
The first time i rode the bike for real was around 2 weeks after assembly. The carb was monkey wrenched (me and my cousin must share the blame on that one) and i had to order a rebuild kit to replace the idle and mix screws after they vibrated out. While i was at it i ordered a NT carb to ensure success(kit came with the red cover CNS deal). I decided to install the NT for break in. The Jamis frame is tight so i had to buy the offset intake. The offset wasnt offset enough so i had to cut it and reweld it (it is weldable in case your looking at it wondering). Off i rode and was having a great time until the first time i imprinted perfect grill marks in my calf. By the time i got home both calves were mid rare and looked delicious! Before my next ride i made a pair of heat sheilds out of aluminum that i am WAY proud of!
100miles later, i love the bike. But i have figured out that i needed fenders to get to work clean, a suspension for for the front (those sittle bumps are way more pronounced at 35ish) and disk brakes. Im also in the process of converting to a single speed. I need to get a few controls off my handlebars. There starting to look like some impossible steampunk contraption with like eleven cables radiating off of them.
I have a massive spark issue that im going to start a thread on in the appropriate place. Anyway, thanks for reading my story. Im 37, 6-2 300Lbs BTW. I look forward to becoming a member of the motobike community here.

The picture of my bike has the first try at a heat sheild. I will post the heat sheild 2.0. The other pic is my kids. Cute huh? The kids are cute too!

Attachments

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Welcome to the forum. good Idea with the heat shields, I STILL have a burn(scar) from over a year ago. Another good call is front suspension, even the cheap $50 ones do a great job at keeping the road patches from kill'in ya. Good luck and keep on riding!

Mac