WTB Brass & Glass Fuel Filter

GoldenMotor.com

Blues88s

Mar 30, 2011
Lake Mary, Florida
I've already searched this & can't find it, again.

I'm looking for a new vintage looking Brass & Glass Gas Filter that I saw on a bike photo on one of these forums. There was also a link to the shop that sold them & they had them in stock. Problem is I didn't bookmark it & can't find it now.

It's a glass cylinder with brass fittings on each end. It was mounted lengthwise on the frame & has a very vintage look to it which is the look I'm going for on my bike.

Does anyone know where I can buy one?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Do you mean the sediment bowl type with the shut off valve? These can be purchased at tractor supply stores, lawnmower shops and Napa Auto Parts stores.

Blues88s

Mar 30, 2011
Lake Mary, Florida
Do you mean the sediment bowl type with the shut off valve? These can be purchased at tractor supply stores, lawnmower shops and Napa Auto Parts stores.

Thanks for the info & photo. I saw your great picture when I was searching for fuel filters & still haven't found the brass one I asked about. I saw a photo of the Dorman at RockAuto but that's not it. That glass sediment bowl in your photo is the way I want to go but I can't find it at Napa & the closest part # there is SME 702350

Do you know a source where I get yours at?

Thanks - Doc

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The last one I bought was at a lawnmower shop. It was a Briggs and Stratton part #690612. Once in a while I score an original Tillotson on ebay, but some are not in the best condition. The older ones have a round wire bail holding the glass bowl, where the newer ones are steel strap. Can't beat a brand new one. Good luck.

Blues88s

Mar 30, 2011
Lake Mary, Florida
Fish that Black Rhino one is the one I saw but couldn't find. Barely, the NAPA one you posted is perfect for my use & I'll buy & BTW you've done some beautiful builds. Msr it was your photo that originally got me thinking about alternative fuel filters. Thanks guys!

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I think I would like to buy one of these for my build, but I have a question. Where is the filter element? Is it just a glass bowl that allows particulates in the bowl to settle to the bottom? When people use this filter, do you need to put an actual filter element downstream of this glass bowl before the carburetor?

Sorry for all of the questions, just curious,

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I think I would like to buy one of these for my build, but I have a question. Where is the filter element? Is it just a glass bowl that allows particulates in the bowl to settle to the bottom? When people use this filter, do you need to put an actual filter element downstream of this glass bowl before the carburetor?

Sorry for all of the questions, just curious,

Gilbert
There's a brass screen held in place by the glass bowl, along with the gasket. This is a very effective way to keep debris from your carb.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks Blues88s ;)

msrfan is defo right, it's turned out to be a very effective filter w/little to no restriction - even when mungy. The local fuel station has a serious problem with contaminants, after a few months I showed the manager the inside of my (then new) tank which was now lined with lots of soft black flecks. Those combined w/the goo & trace amounts of water trapped in the filter bowl & the fact that's the only station I get fuel from caused us to theorize they're likely suffering hose/pump deterioration, probably from the ethanol content.

A regular in-line filter would work just as well ofc, but it'd need to be replaced relatively frequently & wouldn't stop the water. The glass bowl type is ofc cleanable - but it is heavy and somewhat large. I originally got it simply to "match" the vintage bike, but have learned to appreciate it for far more than that lol, like the built in fuel shut off.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks for the information and quick response guys, I really appreciate it. I bought one on eBay today for $12.50 shipped.

Gilbert