motorbicycling.com land speed record

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Any absolute restrictions based on cost or a sole engine/vehicle type are somewhat unreasonable due to the sheer diversity of the builds - it would be far more universally acceptable were it simply subdivided into classes, that way everyone could get a chance no matter what they ride... It's also somewhat unrealistic to expect a cost restriction to be enforceable, not only would it be unlikely that folks would bring receipts (particularly if it would disqualify them) - often it's true that time spent provides more performance than money alone.

Examples of classes could include: two wheel, three wheel, upright, recumbent, friction/belt/chain, then ofc engine displacements and an "unlimited" class for "other" (exotics like fairings) - sounds like a bunch and complicated but it's not really, it's been done ever since racing was born... those classes would also no doubt be reduced in number for lack of entries, unfortunate but true.

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
with a morini engine the clutch slips untill it reaches it's lock up rpm, with a really high gear ratio it would be sliping for most of the run. what ever engine we decide to go with we'll need lots of spare parts. the members who make up the race crew will need to be able to rebuild an engine on the spot so they will need some mechanical ability and some fab skills.
would be great if we could find a class where we are the only entry.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I think the clutch will hold up just fine:)it'd be smart to bring along spare parts, especially chains, tubes and tires, and a whole 'nother complete motor, just in case, but my experience with the morini shows i'm not gonna burn out a clutch in one day of racing.