Who rides in the snow?

GoldenMotor.com

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
We just got a really nice big storm here in dutchess county ny. Theres about 3 1/2 feet of snow drift around my house. I was so tempted to go take my mb out and drift and slide in the roads but the wind was near 40 mph. So who else likes to ride in the snow just to have a little fun? :)
.shft.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i ride in winter but dont enjoy large amounts off snow cause you have to go to fast or stall then starting can be a problem

i enjoy fresh snow sometimes but a long trip in deep snow can have a heavy toll snow everywhere so much cnow is on the chain

i ride mostly on the streets and its unsafe after a fresh snow

riding on the trails after a fresh snow can be hard cause your tires try to follw the peddlers tracks and they arent straight causing front tire and back tire to be on different path at speed that is scary so u have to go slow and going slow means easy to stall and peddling up to speed to start is so freaking impossible

but if you get absolute fresh snow with out tracks its easyier to control but you have to keep momentum up

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hmm... I gotta say by far the biggest problem w/riding in the snow would be the cowardly cagers... I can't believe how often I hafta pass people o_O

I mean srsly, I'm ona bike and you've 4WD laff

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Last time I went riding in the snow/slush I wiped out, so I'd as soon not. Snow by itself isn't so bad, it's what is under it... ice or frozen slush can be a big problem.
SB

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
I ride to work every day and oh yes my friend I ride in the snow. Yesterday was a PITA to get about 3 blocks cause the city didnt plow that road yet. I have never gone sideways on anything with two wheels before. Didnt wipe out but it was very interesting. Fishtailing all 3 blocks left and right in ruts caused by cagers till I got to the main road. Then smooth sailing errrr riding. BTW Im running the stock cranbrook cruiser tires in all of this. People do say Im a little off.

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
I tried once. It was easier than a normal bike, with more weight, lower CoG, and with the engine you help you get going so you don't dig into the snow. But it's more dangerous because the lack of control. Have fun, Stay safe. :)

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
I tried once. It was easier than a normal bike, with more weight, lower CoG, and with the engine you help you get going so you don't dig into the snow. But it's more dangerous because the lack of control. Have fun, Stay safe. :)
I got used to the lack of control you speak of. I have been driving RWD sports cars since I was 14. I had nice older friends. Then I got my own 95 Mustang GT 5 speed at 18. I actually took this thing out in the blizzard of 01 to see if I could get stuck. Well I didnt, but I was in 3rd gear facing about 40 degrees to the left of the road, speedo reading 50mph, but really going 10 and straight down the road. That was fun, also I did take a motorcycle training course when I was 20. It really was $250 WELL spent. I agree be safe and dont take chances. Thats just one of many dumb things I did when I was younger and that I look back on and say "Why the He11 dont I do this anymore?". Then I realize that I actually want to LIVE. Damn getting older sucks, and Im not that much older. I may be having a quarter life crisis.laff

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
I used to ride all the time commuting off and on road in flagstaff 18 years. I made what the mtn bikers called kieser wilhelms with 200 3/8" drywall screws per tire 100 on each side sticking out at 45's on each side in the tread but pointing out so you have just rubber in center and studs when turning. Screws mr tuffy tire liners and duct tape. They were heavy as he'll on a pedal bike but great on a motorized one. Plus they look really gnarly with spiked tires just don't go to fast cuz there is no way they are balanced even with a wheel stand I used duct tape to balance them sort of.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
today it was so nice out nearly 40 degrees it seriousle felt like spring t-shirt weather for sure

only problem it caused the side streets to be super slick and i fell many times even with studded tires

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
had some sleet coming down the other night, turns out riding in sleet STINGS. every time i got whacked by one of those little ice pellets it hurt like someone was spinning their big truck tires on a gravel road while i was getting dragged behind....lots of little plinks and plunks.....will wear my face guard next time i try that again.