100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio
Wow, what a thread.
Read the whole thing today, mainly because I'm building my first motorized bicycle and want to make the motor last... and I'm convinced enough to give Opt 2 the chance from the first start.

Definitely was a good read, thanks for all the useful information and insight.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Boy, you just read the whole thing? The Thread That Would Not Die. I believe that means you must have won some kind of prize as the one millionth customer or something like that. A free packet of Opti 2 may arrive in your mailbox any day now. Congratulations. I think this is also an indicator that you may well end up addicted to motor bicycling. Just a heads up in case you want to back out now. You could just pedal away and pretend you never read any of this stuff, but I'm guessing it's already too late. With that, I welcome you to the forum. Your life may never be the same again. I was only going to post one or two times and now here I am over 2,600 posts later. If for each of those posts I had instead collected one pop bottle I would now be a rich person able to buy a number of bike motor kits.
SB

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio
Boy, you just read the whole thing? The Thread That Would Not Die. I believe that means you must have won some kind of prize as the one millionth customer or something like that. A free packet of Opti 2 may arrive in your mailbox any day now. Congratulations. I think this is also an indicator that you may well end up addicted to motor bicycling. Just a heads up in case you want to back out now. You could just pedal away and pretend you never read any of this stuff, but I'm guessing it's already too late. With that, I welcome you to the forum. Your life may never be the same again. I was only going to post one or two times and now here I am over 2,600 posts later. If for each of those posts I had instead collected one pop bottle I would now be a rich person able to buy a number of bike motor kits.
SB
Yea, it took me awhile but I did it. Slow day at work, so I kept the window open and read it in the time I should have been using to get ahead. As for the addiction thing, well lets just say your signature line applys equally to me.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
100:1.. I say.. Do not do it.. Not worth it. It may run better, may.... You will use less oil.. some... You may save a nickle short term .. Still.. I say.. Don't do it.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
100:1.. I say.. Do not do it.. Not worth it. It may run better, may.... You will use less oil.. some... You may save a nickle short term .. Still.. I say.. Don't do it.
If you are saying that then you and I have not been reading the same thread. So many members here, whose opinion I respect very much, have reported very good results and many many miles of fun. And less oily mess.

I have kept up with this thread since its start. Any 2-stroke motor I use in the future, on a bike or otherwise, will get Opti-2 @ 100:1 from day one. That choice is heavily influenced by the opinions of respected members concerning Opti-2.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
so... you say it may run better, you will use less oil, and may save a nickel.

it does all that and more.

what kind of experience do you have with opti-2 to warn people off?

i've got 1 bike a year old with over 5k on it that i run 45mph+ all day long, another engine with 2 months on it i rode 75 miles the first day flat out, 35 each way, only stopping for lights. another bike, 4 months old with about 1k on it, and 3 friends bikes, all still on the road, all going strong, all saving nickels, using less oil, and running better than most bikes out there.

i say... Do it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Duane, Duane, Duane...I live just a couple of blocks from you and you've ridden my bikes (with your engines) and you're still not convinced. What am I going to have to do to get you to change your mind? (Just a note to others...Dax has warned me he won't warranty my engines....that was several hundred miles ago and they're still running strong)
By the way, that friction drive thing I rode today is the cat's meow...You should really consider seeling it on a limited basis. Let's see how it performs after a couple of hundred miles. If my Chinese in frame bikes ran like that...:)
Tom

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
ARRR, Who here be man enough to join us? Try this new brew? We are Bikers are we NOT? They told US the world was flat, and we would fall off, if we sailed to far. They told us that atoms were a myth,
and Rush Limbaugh would never be skinny. I will risk a motor. (c)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
ARRR, Who here be man enough to join us? Try this new brew? We are Bikers are we NOT? They told US the world was flat, and we would fall off, if we sailed to far. They told us that atoms were a myth,
and Rush Limbaugh would never be skinny. I will risk a motor. (c)
Wut!! Rush Limbaugh would is skinny now I gotta get me some:D

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
That is exactly my thinking. I am trying it in an engine I wasn't really happy with. If it works out great, if it blows I will get another one. So far it is running alot smoother.
I am also getting ready to purchase a Morini for a bike I am going to build this winter.

John
The Magic Mechanic here in Orlando is the most "in-demand" mechanic in town. He has a call-in car radio show and is an AMSOIL dealer and advocate.

He characterized the oil as one that gets inta and unda all the dreck in the engine. It also seems to get into the threads of my head bolts because a tank or so of 100-1 Amsoil 2-stroke oil and now my head bolts on one side are starting to seep tiny bits of oil. No performance issues. the bike runs smoother and better but I gotta find a thin wall socket to tighten it up

yodar

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Well heck, i just have to be in on this record setting thread.... read about the first 8 or 9 pages, just till tom had the loss of power... in my way of seeing the inside of an engine without actually looking in there, seems the loss of carbon build up dont fly, it happened too fast...more likely a loss of compressin due to lack of oil...no matter the quality , it still needs enough molecules of oil to fill all the voids bettween the ring and the cylinder wall....and as one other post said the the main and rod bearings as well...if the china engine piston and or cyl. is too hard it may never seat properly and is relying completly on the lubricant for compresion... about 20 years ago i got several truck loads of 460ci ford industrial engines , these were new, straight from ford. .. we ran them on propane in wind machines....the rings were chrome moly and would never seat using the dry fuel.... until we switched to cast iron rings... took a long time to get the ford people to pay up... but eventually their engineers admited the problem and it was settled...took two years...anyway, in my mind its just not enough oil .... probably hard metal in those particular engines , which probably varies alot from chinese production run to chinese production run.... would explain the different results from one engine to the next....

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
I'm using Opti 2 to break in my brand new 66 Grubee. It it blows up, they will be hearing from my Jewish lawyer.zpt
Well, I though it might be a good time to update. I am currently on my 5 tank of gas mixed with the Opti 2, 100-1.

The engine always starts within a drive way length, runs strong without smoking and dripping oil out of the muffler. The speedo say I have logged 534miles.

If this engine was going to fail due to lack of lubrication, I think it would have already happened.cvlt1

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
It could be causing more wear than normal on the cylinder wall, very slowly eating the bearings.... etc. But after that long it's probably fine. I'm interested to hear how it's running around mile 2000 or so. That's when a lot of these seem to start having issues.
Well, I though it might be a good time to update. I am currently on my 5 tank of gas mixed with the Opti 2, 100-1.

The engine always starts within a drive way length, runs strong without smoking and dripping oil out of the muffler. The speedo say I have logged 534miles.

If this engine was going to fail due to lack of lubrication, I think it would have already happened.cvlt1

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Okay. I've read enough and listened to enough so now I'm going to try John's oil. I picked up some Opti-2 today at the local rental company who happens to be a Toro dealer. The owner swears by Opti-2 and-4 and recommends it to his customers and uses it in all of his rental 2 and 4 stroke machines. He also told me that Opti-2 will add 2 years to a Toro engine warrantee. That means if Toro gives you 2 years on the engine, Opti-2 will add another 2 years to your warrantee if you use their product exclusively. That's a pretty strong testimonial. I'll mix up my first batch tonight and see how things work out. My fuel tanks are nearly empty so I'm going to drain them make the change cold turkey. I'll keep you posted.
Tom
Yo Tom I've been working in the small engine shop for the Capitol, we have abour 6-8 Toro 2 cycle mowers with suburu 5 horse engines. These mowers have 1000s of hours on them and were scheduled for salvage at the end of last (09) season. I convinced the management to go for Opti-2 because we wouldn't be out anything. At the last of this mowing season these mowers were running better than some of our new 4 cycles. It looks like the stuff works pretty good. We also use regular gas no alcohol blends. This makes a big difference on all air cooled engines. The 2 cycle engine was not designed on blended fuel mixtures.
buzzard

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Keep it civil, guys. This isn't an argument thread but just discussion. If you disagree, so be it, but don't attack another member just because his opinion differs from yours.
Tom