Regular, Super, or Premium Fuel? Thoughts?

GoldenMotor.com

Zoomie

Dec 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm pleased to announce that my motorized bike project is almost done.

Almost time to go to the corner station and fill up a can of gas.

It's got me wondering whether the grade (octane) of gas matters in the least. Since I'll be getting less than a gallon at a time I guess money is no object and my first knee jerk reaction is to go for premium ;-)

Any thoughts and/or (better) observations?​

(2-cycle 66cc)

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I prefer nitro-methane in my huasheng....it goes purty fast ya! High octane fuel is all I use in small engines, 2 or 4-stroke. 89-91 octane unless the compression is upwards of 15:1, then it's av-gas or 105-115 octane will do.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
but no i dont care about your choice of feul ut **** bp just like they our enviroment

those basterds are using out of date machinery that has given them problems in recent years resulting in small oil spills here and massive ones elsewhere (u know where) but rather than upgrade to proper machinery or pay for the right equpment they found it was cheaper to pay a fine and fix the problem after it has spilled oil all over tundra or if it has happend in the ocean just hide it with chemicls that are more toxic than oil itself up here bp and all the other oil companies make enough money in the first month to cover operating costs for the entire year so they have 11 months of profit its just to easy to pay a fine instead of fixing the problem

at least thats how it is hear

Last edited by a moderator:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I dunno about that I am running a 6cyl. twin cam 4litre turbo on 17psi (reason of loss of license LOL)
If i were to run my car on shell, mobil and even worse caltex I can hear the motor pinging sounds like a ball hammer going nuts on the head of my motor. Yooouch!!

Shell isnt too bad but I had a bad experience with water in the fuel not saying that there fuel is bad just probly a dodgey servo. This is what has worked for me anyway by no means am I saying it is gospel. Peace

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I think if the guy behind you was filling up on lower octane stuff before you at the pump. Then by the time you fill up that Little one gallon container. All ya did was clear the pump and the hose of the low octane stufflafflafflaff

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I think if the guy behind you was filling up on lower octane stuff before you at the pump. Then by the time you fill up that Little one gallon container. All ya did was clear the pump and the hose of the low octane stufflafflafflaff
seperate pump lines for the different grades of fuel.. cheers anyways though

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I started out running super in my 48cc China Girl. After a few tanks I decided to try regular. I can't tell much difference but I guess it runs better on the regular.

I don't think these motors have very high compression so why would they need high octane gas? I'm thinking about 8:1

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
It's a well proven fact that an engine designed for low octane gas will loose some power using high octane.
High octane only means the gas burns slower and the engine needs advanced timing and higher compression to get any advantage.from more octane.

You can even cause pre mature damage to the engine because the fuel is still burning during exhaust stroke, making valves and or exhaust ports hotter, also a waste of fuel to have it exit the engine before applying most of it's energy to the piston.

This has been proven by dyno tests on Ducati bikes, I know that for sure.

Wayne Z

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
By using the high priced stuff the only ones realizing a benefit is the oil company that sold it to you. There is absolutely no benefit to using high priced/octane fuel in a single cylinder low compression, 2 stroke engine designed to run on almost anything that will burn. Stop wasting your money and use the cheapest fuel you can get at the pump. Speed and power increases are only in your head, not your engine's.
Tom