Build Off (Amateur)

GoldenMotor.com

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
everybody an amature in one way or another, everybody is learning how to put an engine on a bike, $400 does not even buy a good 4stroke engine and trans.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I can literally make anything in my shop...nothing, (motorbike related), is impossible!

Billet engines, custom frames, Billet wheels, hubs with real bearings...etc. etc.

I've got 4 custom built lightweight motorcycles with pedals in the shop now. The least expensive one is 3K and I've got orders for 2 more.

I like your idea David D...the Macgyver approach...ingenuity and few tools...could be fun. It would be a great build-off to show design skill using minimal resources.

Jim

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
How about a limit on experience? Say have been building MBs for less then 6 months or a yr. Some thing like that. Dunno, just a thought.

Or a scavnger'ed build off. Least amount of $ spent. Golf thing. Less is more.

One of my all time favorite builds here is Dave's JDawg. Originally "Junk Yard Dog" I think but he built it for $17 or some thing absurd like that. Well, wouldn't work either as ya would need some serious skills an' tools.

Think we were typing at the same time Jim. Didn't mean to step on your thought

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i build all my bikes with the MacGyver approach. like silverbear said above, we were all amateurs on a budget, just making it up as we go along. i still don't consider myself a "pro," 'cause i can't weld.

the bike i built for the rustoration build-off cost me less than 500 bucks at the time, just because i scored some great deals.

you can come up with any build-off you want, whether it be a full modified, custom made, machine shop bike, to "what can you build from a thrift store."

one of these days i wanna have "the stupidest bike build-off." the rules would be find the goofiest, most un-motor-friendly bike and put a motor on it.

something like a little kid spiderman bike with training wheels, or a 2 seater child's tricycle... you get the picture.

just make some simple rules and have at it...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
OK, how bout a home made motorized swing-bike competition, for builders of less than 2 bikes in 12 months, between the ages of 15-48 that have only a high-school diploma? The use of titanium is prohibited as are day-glo colors in paints or anodizing and no price cap. Sound good?

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
heres a pic of a swing bike i built from left over parts, my first thought of course was to put a motor on it, if you've ever rode one you know how insane and deadly that would be.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
heres a pic of a swing bike i built from left over parts, my first thought of course was to put a motor on it, if you've ever rode one you know how insane and deadly that would be.
Sounds like a great reason to motorize one.....let the competition begin! It has to be built from scratch, you must use a Wankel rotory engine and I would like to be a judge in this build-off....rotfl Ready, set, GO!

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Hello, Noob here,
I just finished my first build this weekend with my kids. Total cost was $300, and it is a basic set up.
As a Noob, I would love to enter into a Build off, under the Least amount of money spent!!! To really bring creativity to the front.
Here is a pic of our $300 weekend project.

The link to the introduce yourself thread.

http://motorbicycling.com/f14/hello-south-carolina-25162.html

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
Sounds like a great reason to motorize one.....let the competition begin! It has to be built from scratch, you must use a Wankel rotory engine and I would like to be a judge in this build-off....rotfl Ready, set, GO!
hey, i've got a suzuki RE-5 with a 500cc wankel engine, would only add about 400# to the bike, i could mount it on the front as a friction drive.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well I was reading about some of the past and presently proposed build offs, and started to think how fun it could be if EVERYONE could participate...newbees too... and the only rules would be something like a 400 dollar limit, done on the honor system, and no proffesionals, i.e. dealers, mfg's and the like or unlimited funds .....just anybody who likes to build but can't participate in the unlimited class so to speak..., would have to rely on creativity and their own fabrication and building skills.... what do you think? not thought it through really just seems there might be some interest.... David
If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin. lol

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
WOW! just woke up.... looks like we have a contest now....got pictures :) well ok heres the rules, NO RULES... but judged by all members who love these bikes, winner to be determined by quality of build and overall appearance vs cost.... ...ie...a nice first attempt huffy that cost $300 dollars by a newbie wins hands down over a gold plated felt with a morini engine that was built by ... well you get it.... just send more pics... the newbies have the advantage at the moment! David dance1 post a pic, tell how much it cost you, and what # it was ... 1st build 2nd... 3rd...57th... ok ? and BTW gadget, one of the nicer Dept. store bikes iv'e seen on here, very nice!

Last edited:

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
OK, We need pics, i am disquilified as i made the rules.... but here is what i'm talking about... Vintage schwinn bought on CL for $100 66cc chinese eng. 4th build.... total cost $379

Attachments

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Are we allowed to use Photoshop on our builds? It's much easier to fix a beat up bike using it, than Bondo and paint...and cheaper too. I've seen some great bikes built using Photoshop....some real beauties!