Tips for newbie? Also, stripped thread question.

GoldenMotor.com

geek

Jul 15, 2010
oklahoma city
I just got my first project off the ground! Yay!
I have many questions, tho, and I have some stripped threads.
On my gas tank, the two bolts on the left are stripped. What is a good way to overcome this? I tried to duct tape the tank, but it would just spin over anyway. The two on the right side work fine, so the tank spins over! lol. At any rate, i have twine to keep it from spinning, but, isn't there some kind of mini clamp or something? Even glue would beat this goofy setup!

2. I haven't greased anything. I read on my BGF instructions to put 'molly' grease on something. Molly Grease? Whats that? In addition, what all should I grease, since I have less than 3 miles on my new setup?

3. Also, I have read on other threads here that the 16-1 ratio is nutty, and to go with 24 or 32 to 1, is that correct? So, if I want this kind of oil, where do I get it now? I'm thinking that Walmart will no longer stock 2 cycle oil since it's off season for lawnmowing now (around here, at least.)

4. Can Opti-2 really use a 1 ounce to 100 ounce ration? In short, 1 ounce per gallon?

5. Will I have to adhere to the 15 mph breakin speed for the first 300 miles? That's fine, but I want to know just in case!

6. If I have trouble with an engine, where can I get parts, if I don't have a motored bike shop around? I doubt there's one here in OKC, per se, so, I am curious if a lawnmower repair, or motorcycle shop would have this kind of thing....or, am I overlooking the obvious?

7. That's it for now!

Thanks,
geek

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
1. Got a hardware nearby? If so a quick and dirty way to overcome the stripped studs on the gas tank would be some cable clamps mounted to the studs.

2. You're going to want to grease the drive gears under the clutch (right hand) cover and the clutch actuator pin once and a while.

3. 24:1 or 32:1 is just fine with normal 2 cycle oil and walmart should still have it since it's used in a lot of things besides lawnmowing equipment.

4. Yes, I can personally attest to the fact that running Opti-2 at 100:1 is just fine. I've run at least 12 gallons though my motor.

5. There are a lot of different schools of thought about the break-in period. Some say yes, take it slow and easy and others say no, ride the snot out of it. I pretty much did the latter on my engine. :D

6. I sincerely doubt you'll find any motor parts locally. I don't know of any in OKC but there are a lot of vendors on the web and most have pretty good turn around times on shipping.

7. My son was just stationed to Tinker AFB, he got there Sunday. :D

geek

Jul 15, 2010
oklahoma city
Cable clamps! Most excellent, Kevlarr!

So, for the gears, does that mean I'll remove a plate from the right side?

Thanks for all of the good info!

Also, TAFB is one cool AFB. I hope your son likes it. Midwest City is a scary place, tho, so if he is living off base, get with me and I can tip him to something perhaps...safer.

Thanks again,
geek