Resistor Cap and Resistor Plug Question

GoldenMotor.com

Stratman

Jun 12, 2010
Orlando, FL
Newbie's 1st question here, so hello, glad to be here......pino.

I recently purchased an NGK BPR6HIX plug for my StarFire 48cc engine as an upgrade to the junk plug that came with the engine kit. Then the cap that came with the engine kit cracked as soon as I put it onto my new plug. So today, I purchased a NGK spark plug resistor cap and about 5 feet of silicone jacketed copper stranded ignition wire, 7mm.

The spark plug and the resistor cover are both rated for 5 ohms of impedance.

Will having both the plug and the cover providing 5 ohms of resistance overly reduce the voltage from the CDI? My thinking ( after I purchased, of course) is it that the cover (cap) will reduce the voltage before the spark plug, and then be reduced again at the plug. I am mid-way through my first build, so there is no way to test until I complete everything.

Hopefully, I'm over thinking this one and it won't be in issue. Any ideas or advice?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hello again, Stratman.
Look at it this way: Any resistance will effect the available current to the plug's electrodes. Deciding if your plug and cap are enough to adversely effect the plug's ability to fire will only be found through experimentation. You could do mathematical calculations till the cows come home but due to the slight differences in ignition timing that we see in the Chinese 2 strokes determining the ultimate plug/wire/boot configuration is all guess work. Install what you bought and give it a try. If the engine runs good...you're home. If at a later time you want to experiment with lower resistance components, go for it. If you opt for a digital speedometer you might find that the resistance parts will keep you from having problems with it. Good luck. Keep us informed of your progress.
Tom