solid inner tube and the results of

GoldenMotor.com

upsrogue

Jul 14, 2009
Arizona
You guys said this might happen and I said to myself "no way" YES WAY.
I was tootin down the road last week and hit a pot-hole in the road not a big one and I was going maybe 10 mph all of the sudden everything stopped using no brakes I looked down at the rear wheel and it looked like a truck ran over it, I guess the rim was telling me NO MORE!!.
I ended up buying a Roadmaster bike for $30 instead of buying a rear rim, its a 2nd build and I like it much better, the engine even runs 50 times better and all I did was switch it to the Roadmaster frame nothing else.dance1

billy02

Oct 4, 2009
Tucson, Az
You guys said this might happen and I said to myself "no way" YES WAY.
I was tootin down the road last week and hit a pot-hole in the road not a big one and I was going maybe 10 mph all of the sudden everything stopped using no brakes I looked down at the rear wheel and it looked like a truck ran over it, I guess the rim was telling me NO MORE!!.
I ended up buying a Roadmaster bike for $30 instead of buying a rear rim, its a 2nd build and I like it much better, the engine even runs 50 times better and all I did was switch it to the Roadmaster frame nothing else.dance1
I discovered solid rubber tubes quite by accident & having had innunerable flats here in Az. I got 2 of them immediately. I weigh 225lbs & put a real strain on any wheel, tire or tube. At this time I had yet to discover motorized bicycles so I was on a mtn bike with pedal power. With pneumatic tires filled to the proper inflation pressure I knew when I ran over a cigarette butt. With the solid tubes I could tell which brand. Otherwise, not that much difference. I don't jump curbs & I avoid potholes of any significance. I have been using solid tubes for over a year now with no flats or wheel problems. I just finished my 3rd build & I am putting solid tubes in it.
brnot

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
what type of solid tubes do you use, Where do you get them, and how do they feel when riding? I am curious but am wary to trusting them as I have heard stories that cause me to question their true ability/benefit. I weigh 300 and stand only 5' 6" so I stick with the 24" bikes. and these are something I have really been curious about. Any input would be very helpful. Sorry for all the questions.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I used the solid tubes before but only on a peddle bike. On an MB I think they would be great! However if on peddle power I do not like them because they have this slight resistance that when peddling always feels like your going slightly uphill, and they don't coast well. I would use them for a MB for sure though as the resistance wasn't huge just became very annoying having to deal with it often.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I am glad somebody else tried those solid tubes on here before I did.... my wife wife wanted me to use them to "avoid wrecks".... The only cycle I have ever used those style tubes on (non motorized 26") felt like the tires were half flat while riding (I am a big guy 6' 8" 270lbs). I am glad you did not get hurt when your wheel messed up Upsrogue

AZMotorbiker

May 20, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
I have solid tubes on my MB as well, and it is nice being able to run over nails, glass, thorns, etc without worry, but there's a definite trade off in comfort. My MB beats me up everytime I ride it because I feel EVERY bump. Spent the day at home yesterday due to back trouble caused when my back tire hopped into a deep rut and back out. Didn't feel it too badly until the next morning, when it was all I could do to sit up and dial the phone to tell my boss I wasn't coming in.

My Trek pedal bike has slime filled / thorn resistant tubes, resulting in a much more comfortable ride. My next MB will have these tubes instead of the solid ones.

-AZ

Smallwheels

Dec 18, 2008
Montana
I've used the Bell inner tubes made of a thick piece of foam. Perhaps that is what is being discussed here. These tubes are perfect for my moped because in the cold Montana winter there is no way I could repair a flat tire while on the road. My fingers wouldn't work very well in such cold. Even at 32º F my fingers don't work that well.

When I had the Golden Eagle kit on the bicycle it would take too many tools to remove the mount and the basket mounted around it (for camouflage). It always took at least a half an hour to remove the wheel and do a repair. With the flat proof inner tubes there is no chance for a flat tire.

They do feel much stiffer than pneumatic tires. I recommend that anybody on a bicycle without a rear suspension, that isn't a recumbent, buy a Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seat post. I love having mine. Unfortunately with my new friction kit it won't work because the kit is too close to the saddle. It won't allow the Thudbuster to move through its full range. I now must find a good spring saddle.

I weight just about 140 pounds fully dressed and add about ten to fifteen pounds to that with my motorcycle jacket, helmet, and back pack. I don't think my weight would cause a rim to have any problems. My front wheel is operating just fine with the foam inner tube. My old rear wheel kept breaking spokes due to the Golden Eagle spoke mounted drive pulley. Only spokes attached to the pulley ever broke.

Smallwheels

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
ye si had solid rubber tubes but when u need to change you tire it becomes a hasle we had to cut ours with a saw in order to get the tire out so i went with two keplar tire two slime tubes and two wheels slime liners had it for about 1 1/2 years and i have not got a single flat plus the ride is much better with these tires with the solid ruber tubes the ride is so rough

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have solid tubes on my MB as well, and it is nice being able to run over nails, glass, thorns, etc without worry, but there's a definite trade off in comfort. My MB beats me up everytime I ride it because I feel EVERY bump. Spent the day at home yesterday due to back trouble caused when my back tire hopped into a deep rut and back out. Didn't feel it too badly until the next morning, when it was all I could do to sit up and dial the phone to tell my boss I wasn't coming in.

My Trek pedal bike has slime filled / thorn resistant tubes, resulting in a much more comfortable ride. My next MB will have these tubes instead of the solid ones.

-AZ
I know this thread is about solid tubes, but I totally feel for anyone with back pain. I had to stay out of work for 5 weeks last year and get 4 nerve blocks. I found the inversion table in Academy Sports for $100 and decided to try it. Absolute best 100 bucks I have ever spent. As soon as you flip over, the pain is gone. You don't have to be completely upside down either. Just get your head below your feet and try to relax. You will feel the pain just melt away. I will try anything to be rid of that horrible pain and not have to have surgery. I don't want anymore block shots, either.

Ok, back to the tubes!

billy02

Oct 4, 2009
Tucson, Az
what type of solid tubes do you use, Where do you get them, and how do they feel when riding? I am curious but am wary to trusting them as I have heard stories that cause me to question their true ability/benefit. I weigh 300 and stand only 5' 6" so I stick with the 24" bikes. and these are something I have really been curious about. Any input would be very helpful. Sorry for all the questions.
Don't worry about asking questions, that's mostly all that I come here for! I use Bell, "no-mor flats" that I get at Walmart for $19.96 plus tax. I can't speak for the lightweights, but for me there really isn't all that much difference in the way they ride. As for wheel damage, I haven't really heard of any incidents that didn't involve riding through/over something that should have been avoided in the first place.

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
Ive ran solid tubes before on my very first (homemade rear mounted friction drive) motorized mountain bike and i could not feel any difference other than a very slight spongy like feel to them I liked them and i got them at walmart for like 8-10 bucks a piece
but i only weigh 160 lbs