Boats?...

GoldenMotor.com

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Living on an island, go SW, I have realized the potential of creating a boat. I have thought of possibly using an old canoe. with a transit bus bicycle rack to stabilize the bike. A shaft resting in possibly oarlocks on the top of the rear wheel that would feed paddle wheels like a river boat. Using outriggers to counteract the effects of the bicycles top heaviness. This way the bike would be removable for land usage and then a simple 5minute procedure to go waterbourne. Now to get my bike finished. .bt.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How about mounting the bike on the cross bars to an outrigger? That would allow you to have the full space of the canoe.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Ron, ayup.

Saw this on one of the flying boat vids. Rear wheels were on arms that pivoted up and down. Down, they locked in for land use. Be really cool to convert a small air boat.

(then add a wing, snork)

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Mount a trainer in the boat,clip in the rear wheel and go.(trainer w/linkage to paddle wheels or propeller ?)

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
so how does that water bike propell itself? do you power a generator with the rear wheel that powers the motor to spin the propeller? i didint c any description but i think what looks to be a motor with the propller attached to it mounts to the front wheel? that looks cool how much do you think they go for?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
looks like there is a friction device on the rear wheel under the seat on the seat tube and a flexdrive cable running to the prop on the front tire

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
ohhh that makes sense cheaper than what i thought was happening, it would suck to have it fail on you if you were in the middle of a lake or sumthin or get a flat on 1 of the floats :p

Last edited:

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
Saw a home hydrofoil on the local lake today. Near 11' long 4'wide. It was runing a old 2 stroke. It was flying. Thoughts of how to run a friction drive off the motorbike came to mind. Might need something for balance as skipper said it was a bit tipsy. What a way to skim across the water.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
that looks intense think of what this mean on on the fun scale like i said my only worry is the system not seigned for what our little engine can do what if it failed and you were even 1/2 a mile away from shore that would suck big time

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I would think you could have a sail of some kind attached to a pole and mounted to a float for use if the motor quit. Put that ole sail up, have the seat on a swivel so you can spin around, and whip out your telescopic fishing pole and do some trolling all the way to land.

Now of course if there's no wind, well...........................carry a harpoon so you can catch a passing boat??

lworider1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I would think you could have a sail of some kind attached to a pole and mounted to a float for use if the motor quit. Put that ole sail up, have the seat on a swivel so you can spin around, and whip out your telescopic fishing pole and do some trolling all the way to land.

Now of course if there's no wind, well...........................carry a harpoon so you can catch a passing boat??

lworider1
Cool Thought H! Ever see the sail powered wagons? Would be awesome!!! http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2005/2405656484_3df39299a3.jpg

LOL, we could build the worlds first floating/flying/auxiliary sail powered MB. "Our mission, if we choose to accept it... This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds"

Man! you guys gotta stop helping me spend ridiculous amounts of money on insane projects. (Kidding. Keep the crazy coming)

.flg.

Hiker, side note and personal ty. When I mean to compliment or thank some one, I post your flag smilie as in "Salute". Posted it above with out realizing you made em for us. Just kinda cool Buddy.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Dan some where in my wanderings on the web I saw a small boat like a house boat and it was powered by 2 bikes hooked up to a paddle wheel if I remember correctly.
Think you could take the bikes out when you got to where you were going and ride. Have to see if I can find it.

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Steve. TY. I just googled it and found some cool stuff; Human Powered Boats

Shuttle-Bike - convert a bike to a pedal-power boat

this one is a PDF so would take a long time to open for DU users, http://www.habiter-autrement.org/34_eau/contributions-34/maison-flottante-traction-humaine.pdf Haven't found your link or one like it yet, but that is great! If you could live on a house boat powered by a MB that is also your land trans! Just too cool. (I have to remember that phrase "land trans" lol)

I am so amazed at how cleaver Folks are and that we live in a time when we can post or send a link to some really far out, ingenious thought in a nano second.

Great thread Comrade, and cool thought!

Just called the Wife, super hero and best bud all excited to tell her I am gonna add a sail to the floating/flying MB. LOL, you would think any normal person would answer with shocked silence.

But Nope, she said "that sounds cool" Mother of Good, I is a lucky dawg (and it is payday Friday! Yay, I get to have beer tonight and sleep in tomorrow!)(( but will prolly be up early and hung over drawing flying/floting/sailing MB diagrams. LOL))