Just Another Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
There has been quite a bit of discussion about shift kits, and who designed them and who copied. None of these bike parts are patentable, but rather than copy someone else's I decided to build my own. I don't care who copies it as I don't plan on building them to sell. It is just kind of a combination of different things I have seen and the way I would put it together.

John

Attachments

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Very nice work! Pressing those bearings in must have felt very gratifying. The moment they align and begin to sink is one of the best feelings in the world! Did you go "old school" and use a turntable for the nice radius work on the right hand plate?

Last edited:

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
I know it wasn't supposed to be the focus of those photographs (your jackshaft set-up is dang nice too), but I really like the shiny edges on your cooling fins. Gonna have to sand mine like that...

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Very nice work! Pressing those bearings in must have felt very gratifying. The moment they align and begin to sink is one of the best feelings in the world! Did you go "old school" and use a turntable for the nice radius work on the right hand plate?
Actually I really went "old school" on this project. I used the clutch cover as a template, and just laid out the plate and sawed it out. I also used a fly cutter in the mill to bore the holes to 1.3745. It's kind of fun doing it that way. You can tell by most of my projects I love working with Aluminum.

John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
John,
You never cease to astound me with your talents. That is beautiful work and I admire the quality that is obviously in the design. Thanks for sharing with the members. You're an inspiration.
Tom

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
OK.....Tell'em who twisted your arm and coached you threw it all? HUH? LOL! Just kidding. John's the man when it comes to widdeling something out! You got me one in the mail yet? Heck he's got 8 foot of snow outside...... he's got the talent and the time. Sweet!rmfla

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
You can take the TOOLIE out of the shop but you can't shop out of the TOOLIE.

Nice job, I like the freewheel setup!

QUOTE=marts1;146590]Not selling huh...ok, I'll take one. :)[/QUOTE]

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Nice work. Like the cover concept.

Just for the record and don't want to corrupt your fine thread, we aren't for pestering individuals who build their own thing. We get irked at outfits who steal our work covered under these two copyrights:

Registration Number TX 6-904-527
Registration Number TX 6-893-565

We have stopped 4 so far.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
<raises hand>

I think I see your freewheel bearing on the gear that goes to your pedal sprocket. Did you build that too or is it store bought?

Last edited:

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Not to answer for John, I'm not sure if John made his or not.You can order a freewheel adapter that threads into the freewheel with a 5/8 bore.They are a little pricey.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
bad ass all the way brother.i love custom work,especially if its aluminum cause it can be polished. the diamond plate is a nice touch.if yoou wanna make another one some day,ill buy one off you. when will you be machining other custom parts? whats in mind for the next part you custom make?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
<raises hand>

I think I see your freewheel bearing on the gear that goes to your pedal sprocket. Did you build that too or is it store bought?
Toker is right, you can buy the freewheel adaptors at either Staton or on e-bay. They have the
1 3/8 thread on the O.D. and a 5/8 bore with 3/16 key I.D.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I doubt anyone could afford John to make one.He probably "hogged" it out of a 2' square block of aluminum. laff Just pok'in fun at you John. I'm just jealous!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
bad ass all the way brother.i love custom work,especially if its aluminum cause it can be polished. the diamond plate is a nice touch.if yoou wanna make another one some day,ill buy one off you. when will you be machining other custom parts? whats in mind for the next part you custom make?
The reason I don't get into selling parts is there are just to many variables with different bike frames. I have enough parts, like different cranks, sprockets, and enough material around to make everything fit. I had to do some machining to the sprockets, and adaptor to get everything to fit.

John

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I guess the one thing I did forget to mention on the first post was that the jackshaft is going to a 3 speed Sram I Motion rear axle. The final gear ratio is 4.22 to 1. I may have to go up or down a couple teeth on the jackshaft out sprocket.

John