An introduction...it's never "done", is it?

GoldenMotor.com

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Hello all! My "real" name is Jim Hough. I am from Valparaiso, IN and have been building my bike since last August. I am building a circa 1913 inspired motorized bike using a cruiser frame, Grubee Skyhawk II kit and Honda GXH50 engine. The bike is currrently in a state of disassembly, but is almost ready for paint. Some the details I have done to make it my own are the following:

- fabricated fiberglass cover for tank to mimic the angular tank on an early Excelsior board track bike.

- fabricated a front (simulated) leaf spring to mimic an Indian front leaf. I say it is simulated because while it is certainy real steel, the leaf spring itself is non-functional and the front fork spring action is provided by a standard "beehive" spring (though it is tightened down far enough that there is little travel).

- I have fabricated a seat mount so that the front horn of the seat is just over the tube and the back of the seat is supported by struts to the wheel stays.

- I am using a shorter crank, standard width, but much shorter arms- to provide leg room because the seat is low (I am 6'3")- however, I am using a smaller front sprocket to regain the mechanical advantage lost- I only pedal to start from a stop on this bike.

- I am using Husky 11ga spoked 26 x 2.125 wheels and all white tires.

- I have used an old railroad lantern to fabricate a headlight that also houses a speedometer- the speedometer face is custom.

- I fabricated handlebars from pipe that go straight acroos and turn down rather that down and back like regular handlebars upside down.

Attached is a picture, but the picture was before the tank cover, crank, wheels and tires, leaf spring and new handlebars. Also, the seat is now lower and the struts on it have been simplified.

Hopefully I will have new pics in corporating the changes above (still without paint) some time this week.

I'm glad to be here and look forward to learning more.

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
wow! very nice ride. i would like to personally welcome you to the forum. and look forward to hearing more about your builds. glad to have you with us (^)

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
That is a bad looking ride. It looks so retro. I bet that will really be a head turner when your done. Everyone will want to know how old it is. You are a real motorized bicycle fabricator...........

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I got the headlight on eBay for $15, it is a railroad lantern and now has the speedometer mounted in place of the top lamp. It was a dual bean lantern/flashlight. Honestly, I'm still debating what to do with powering it- whether to just use small batteries in the headlight itself just to make it functional since I have no intention of riding at night, or whether to hide D batteries somewhere on the chassis...