Bicycle lock suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

bulldog87333

Jun 21, 2013
Fresno, CA
I had my motorized bike stolen outside of walmart last wednesday. I just bought a new cruiser and motor and got it all set up. Now I need some suggestions on some good decent priced locks that will resist bolt cutters and hack saws. Any suggestions? Thx!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
high man, i bought this at Amazon and coupled it with a 6ft stranded security cable so i can always lock my bike TO something, even a store shopping cart works as an anchor although fixed objects like telephone poles and such are always best.

Kryptonite Series 4 Disc

...here you can see the lock and the cable that i have woven around the outside of my baskets.

peace, bozo

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
When I moved into this house a year and a half ago, I knew I was going to have to lock my bike outside, so I went to Lowe's. I asked for 3 feet of the heaviest chain they had. It weighs about 10 lbs. I went to Kmart and got a case hardened padlock (said on the package it resists cutting). The easiest way to get past any lock is to pick it, but if they want to cut my chain they'll need a power tool, which I'll hear when I'm at home because my bike is chained to a traffic sign right outside my front door. Been here a year and a half and no one has successfully messed with my bike yet, even when I accidentally left it unlocked overnight once.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Bull. Welcome to the forum. You would do better to post questions like this in the appropriate sub-forum. You'll get more and better responses and old timers like me will get less annoyed. Try posting in the accessories category HERE:http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64 or better yet, do a quick search. ( Darth ) Feel the POWER of the search. That said. Here's the best "lock" I've ever seen. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQu_IVUURA

bulldog87333

Jun 21, 2013
Fresno, CA
My bad Velodrome. Still new to this forum and thx. Took me a while just to figure out how to post a new thread. Still not sure how to find a category. That is the coolest lock for sure! Thx for the info and the link to the right thread.

bulldog87333

Jun 21, 2013
Fresno, CA
Yup, had one of the $30 cable locks on it from walmart. i was only in the store 15 min and came out to it gone. I need something i can trust. I live in Fresno, Ca and it's pretty ghetto. lol

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No lock is completely foolprrof. They all have disadvantages. My best advice is choose something that will make life tough for potential thieves, like hardened chain with a good, big round padlock. Master makes one for storage containers that is seriously hard to break or cut.
Cable locks are too easy to cut with a cordless grinder, get a high quality hardened steel chain as big as you feel like carrying and lock BOTH wheels and the frame EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU STOP! (even for "just a second")
But know that no matter what you lock it with, it could disappear anytime you leave it. Best you can do is make it more difficult so they leave yours alone.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Like they say, all you can do is try to keep the honest ones honest.

I lived in Fresno for five years. Part of it's pure ghetto -- part is really nice. The only things I really miss are Sequoia National Park and Marion's Mexican Food on Shaw Ave.

....can't forget In-n-Out!

Good luck to 'ya!!

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Yup, had one of the $30 cable locks on it from walmart. i was only in the store 15 min and came out to it gone. I need something i can trust. I live in Fresno, Ca and it's pretty ghetto. lol
Not a lock but a good anti-theft measure is getting the $20 license plate and ID from the CA DMV.
Might also give you a better chance of getting your bike back if stolen.

bulldog87333

Jun 21, 2013
Fresno, CA
Nice! I didn't know i could do that about the id and license plate. I'm going to do it on fri.

Xseler That's very true and my favorit thing about fresno is the mexican food lol.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Nice! I didn't know i could do that about the id and license plate. I'm going to do it on fri.

Xseler That's very true and my favorit thing about fresno is the mexican food lol.
Wait, I just remembered the farmer's market in downtown Clovis -- great produce!

Rex3x16

Jul 1, 2013
Michigan
I just bought me a hardened steel lock and the thickest chain I could find, about 3 feet of it. Granted I don't usually let my bike leave my sight, but its good for when I do. Just drop it in my basket and goooooooooo.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
license plates don't stop car thieves and i suspect they won't stop bicycle thieves either so get a plate if you want one but you should also get yourself a solid lock, it's better to be safe than it is to be sorry.

...that's why you see Harley Davidson's, all with license plates, chained to telephone poles.

peace, bozo

bulldog87333

Jun 21, 2013
Fresno, CA
Yea I don't plan on leaving it anywhere long. I am just going to go with the chain and lock route and register it. Thx for all the suggestions!

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
If you're really worried about it, buy a small, cheap android cell phone, and put it on pay as you go with data (100MB is more than enough). Then turn on Wifi and GPS, and hide it somewhere on the bike. An HTC Wildfire will "snap in" under some bicycle seats. This way if someone steals it, you can track it on Google, including everywhere the guy went. By the time he discovers the cell phone (if hidden well enough), it'll be at his, or his buddy's chop shop, and well too late.

If you dont want to go that route, there's also http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/ . A bit more tedious to use but it's disguised as a part of the bike, so while the cell phone may be discovered the instant a teardown begins, this thing will last a bit longer through it.

EDIT: now that there's an app for your phone with the SpyBike, it's not all that bad anymore, just waiting on that $5.52/month deal and I'll be getting one.

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
yeah, I've had one stolen myself, luckily I only spent $230 on the whole thing. My current one has almost $1000 dumped into it (including spare and aftermarket parts). Bike locks will only slow a thief down, if they KNOW they have the time to get it, they will, but most thieves wont take the risk and move along. I highly recommend against cable locks, as I was using one when my first bike was stolen. Simple bolt cutters get through them like butter. Chain and locks are the next step up, obviously harder to cut, probably much noisier too, most thieves wont go for this and the next level up: the U lock. My lock is rated to 40 Tons, basically enough that if someone attempts to remove the lock using a truck, it'll either destroy the bike, or the truck hitch/frame/whatever they used. Cheap U-locks are susceptible to drills so get yourself a good double-locking one. I use bullguard, they have a $2,500 guarantee that your bike is safe (it may have been $10,000, I dont really know. This basically means if your bike is stolen, they'll cover a replacement up to said guarantee).

And the final level, as stated if a thief really wants your bike, they'll get it. Thats where spybike comes in. How are they going to know the seat post is a tracker? They gunna ride it without the seat? enjoy the bumps ;). Anyway the spybike or phone tracker route is the only way to 99.9% guarantee that you will have your bike as long as you want it. Noone is going to check for a GPS or well hidden phone (has to be attached to the bike, they could very well just rip bags off) when they're in a hurry to get away with it.