what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

you will not go faster if the motor does not have the power to pull the smaller gear and at 6'4" your pushing a good amount of air out of the way. About the only thing you can do is make the motor produce more power... better buy a Ex pipe

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

Well, for now I guess I'll just hope it sets in better; I know the clutch gears I just replaced are still squealing a little because they're off balance. And for now, I'll keep playing with the jets and do a couple more plug chops... I suspect it's not exactly where it should be. And I'm running 22:1 fuel/oil, a little more than necessary. If it's still not enough power, well, then I'll get a shift kit and ex-pipe... or maybe just a new motor. This one has already given me enough trouble.

My expectations are mostly derived from this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40141
I have a smaller sprocket and I've done a little porting and I can't even hit 30. It's not lack of fuel or anything either...

Last edited:

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico

Yesterday I ran my two blue thunders,and today is for improvements and cleaning,this is BT #1 in surgical operating table for a transplant of the back wheel with WM and Pirate Cycles sproket Adapter,and BT #2 was for conditionig the engine,a little brightness with the drill and wire wheel to clean the oxidation..wee.

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Well, for now I guess I'll just hope it sets in better; I know the clutch gears I just replaced are still squealing a little because they're off balance. And for now, I'll keep playing with the jets and do a couple more plug chops... I suspect it's not exactly where it should be. And I'm running 22:1 fuel/oil, a little more than necessary. If it's still not enough power, well, then I'll get a shift kit and ex-pipe... or maybe just a new motor. This one has already given me enough trouble.

My expectations are mostly derived from this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40141
I have a smaller sprocket and I've done a little porting and I can't even hit 30. It's not lack of fuel or anything either...
A good pipe is almost always the answer. But you can try a little experiment first if you want. MOST of the stock pipes are way too restrictive, So just yank out the baffle and ride it like ya stole it. I suggest you do this in the daytime and not 2 in the morning. The neighbors might not appreaciate a dirt bike on the street at early morning hours. I think you'll find the horsepower and top end you've been looking for. If this is the case, then like I said, a good pipe is almost always the answer. I've got a real good expansion chamber on my tadpole trike and it made all the difference in the world. I'm pretty much running a straight pipe on my cruiser (just took out the baffle) and it works alright. It's loud but it runs too good to mess with.
fatdaddy.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

A good pipe is almost always the answer. But you can try a little experiment first if you want. MOST of the stock pipes are way too restrictive, So just yank out the baffle and ride it like ya stole it. I suggest you do this in the daytime and not 2 in the morning. The neighbors might not appreaciate a dirt bike on the street at early morning hours. I think you'll find the horsepower and top end you've been looking for. If this is the case, then like I said, a good pipe is almost always the answer. I've got a real good expansion chamber on my tadpole trike and it made all the difference in the world. I'm pretty much running a straight pipe on my cruiser (just took out the baffle) and it works alright. It's loud but it runs too good to mess with.
fatdaddy.
Alright, that's really a relief, I'm definitely game... just please forgive my inexperience.

I did some searching and it sounds like the baffles should just fall right out, but I removed the endcap and they're pretty solid. Reading online about motorcycle mufflers, ehow said to just drill straight up the exhaust port. But my exhaust port/endcap is just a long, hollow tube. There are chambered baffles inside the pipe with round holes for the endcap tube to go through, as well as crescent holes. But I can't get those to come out at all.

So, um... help me please? =) Am I missing something obvious? Should I just drill through the endcap?

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Alright, that's really a relief, I'm definitely game... just please forgive my inexperience.

I did some searching and it sounds like the baffles should just fall right out, but I removed the endcap and they're pretty solid. Reading online about motorcycle mufflers, ehow said to just drill straight up the exhaust port. But my exhaust port/endcap is just a long, hollow tube. There are chambered baffles inside the pipe with round holes for the endcap tube to go through, as well as crescent holes. But I can't get those to come out at all.

So, um... help me please? =) Am I missing something obvious? Should I just drill through the endcap?
If ya take off the end cap and pull it out, you should find attached to it a long tube. That's yer baffle assembly. Don't worry about whats up inside the rest of the pipe. Simply taking off the end cap/ baffle assembly should un-restrict it enough to give you better exhaust flow. If you take out EVERYTHING from inside the pipe then you're not gonna get any back pressure at all, and ya need a little of that. This is a SIMPLE test, No drilling, No cutting or anything. Just pop off the end cap and run it. Like I said, Thats how I'm running my cruiser and it works fine. I'll eventually invest in a decent exaust system, but for now, I'm good.
fatdaddy.
P.S. My Cruiser runs like CR*P with the end cap/ baffle on.

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

If ya take off the end cap and pull it out, you should find attached to it a long tube. That's yer baffle assembly. Don't worry about whats up inside the rest of the pipe. Simply taking off the end cap/ baffle assembly should un-restrict it enough to give you better exhaust flow. If you take out EVERYTHING from inside the pipe then you're not gonna get any back pressure at all, and ya need a little of that. Like I said, Thats how I'm running my cruiser and it works fine. I'll eventually invest in a decent exaust system, but for now, I'm good.
fatdaddy.
Oh... okay. That's way simpler than I thought. I just expected it to have... well... baffles, instead of a straight pipe. I'll try that tonight =) I can't remember which site it was, but I saw a black-cat EPA-certified catalytic converter muffler for these kits for $35 somewhere, that was tempting. But I don't know, I might go with an expansion kit if this is too loud or the power increase too minimal. Thank you for sharing =)

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Oh... okay. That's way simpler than I thought. I just expected it to have... well... baffles, instead of a straight pipe. I'll try that tonight =) I can't remember which site it was, but I saw a black-cat EPA-certified catalytic converter muffler for these kits for $35 somewhere, that was tempting. But I don't know, I might go with an expansion kit if this is too loud or the power increase too minimal. Thank you for sharing =)
Don't buy a cheap pipe and don't worry about EPA certified, That just means it's restricted with more carp. These engines are nowhere near EPA certified anyway. A GOOD expansion chamber would be the way to go. A lot of guy's on this site even make their own. Check around and do the research as to what chambers really work. I tried a cheap expansion chamber on my cruiser and it was worse then the stock pipe.
fatdaddy.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.

Today I went to start the bike...go to store...pull rope hung all the way out- would not recoil- took half an hour- replaced the recoil spring with one from a still chain saw- this one will not break!!!
I got a good motor but the parts on it are real cheap!!! Started the bike, went to store.
I knew that the spring in my new starter was gonna break!! just a matter of when!!!
It's happened before.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I really would like to know:Is this a build thread now?
NOPE, It ain't. But when the guy gets his pipe straightend out he's gonna post it here. It'll go something like, Got my baffle-less pipe back on today and it runs GREAT. Anyway, I THOUGHT I was just gonna give the guy a quick suggestion. Didn't know it was gonna turn into several posts.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

NOPE, It ain't. But when the guy gets his pipe straightend out he's gonna post it here. It'll go something like, Got my baffle-less pipe back on today and it runs GREAT. Anyway, I THOUGHT I was just gonna give the guy a quick suggestion. Didn't know it was gonna turn into several posts.
fatdaddy.
I really would like to know:Is this a build thread now?

Sorry about that, guys... But WOW it was worth it. Thanks fatdaddy. I kind of think of this as a "this is what I'm doing/trying to do right now" thread... but I guess it'd be misuse to turn it into a current build thread. That's not organized.

And happy-time? More like HS-time. Rode to a back road, took off the cap, cracked the throttle open and I actually peeled out and fishtailed a little! (asphalt was very dirty/gravelly) Taking the end cap off only got me another 4mph (29-->33) but it has WAY, WAAAAY more power. I accelerate nearly twice as fast, and only have to pedal 1 revolution to start from idle instead of 4. I can even power up a 30° slope with my 40lb backpack and only slow down to 25 mph, but my top end down the same hill is only 34.5... I think I'm having a serious issue with rolling resistance somewhere. And I felt okay about making more noise on the highway after six very, VERY loud Harley's and a couple crotch-rockets passed me by.

I can rule out wind, because on the flat back road my speed only changed .5mph each way with 12mph wind almost straight along the road. I can rule out my new unbroken clutch, because when I pull the clutch in I experience the same rate of drag (observation and Google Tracks graphs) and it only squeals when the motor's engaged, because the big bevel gear and drive gear are what hasn't set yet. I just replaced my whole crankset and adjusted my rear hub, and my front hub has always been great... my brakes are adjusted... I have no idea. Maybe my hubs just aren't good enough at the higher speeds? I don't know.

I bought the bike from craigslist, and the guy said he bought heavy-duty wheel hubs for it but he didn't know what make, and judging by the quality of the last crankset they are probably pretty bad and he was just trying to sell the bike. I might try taking off the drive chain and riding it down a hill to troubleshoot.

In other news, I'm filing down my main reflector and getting ready to mount my CREE P4's. One is going straight in, the other above it at a slight downward angle. I'll post pics when it's done. =)

And dinner beckons me.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

xenodius
your tires have to do with drag also
set of 60psi or higher slicks or semi slicks will reduce the rolling resistance

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Can't say I did much more to my bike than ride it. Checked her over first, but all was well. Kids are back in school. I had the day off, sooo...nice long cruise. And most people around here haven't the slightest clue what I'm riding, so I always seem to turn a few heads.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

xenodius
your tires have to do with drag also
set of 60psi or higher slicks or semi slicks will reduce the rolling resistance
Yeah... mine are only 40psi, but they are semi slick and fairly narrow. I'll experiment. Also, sorry for my really long post... I was quite excited with the potential of this bike after taking the cap off =) LOTS of power!

Allen... that's part of the fun riding these things, I get a comment every time I take my bike out. Even on 1/2 mile trips..!

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Can't say I did much more to my bike than ride it. Checked her over first, but all was well. Kids are back in school. I had the day off, sooo...nice long cruise. And most people around here haven't the slightest clue what I'm riding, so I always seem to turn a few heads.
Same here AW, Systems check, then ride it. Theres still some things I wanna do, but one thing at a time for us poor folks. Right now I'm waiting on my tail light/ license plate assemble to get here from (OMG) china. It's an LED so I'm thinking I'll use less power from the battery. It looks cool in the ad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23081888132...tem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:MOTORS:1120&vxp=mtr. We'll see when it gets here.
fatdaddy.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Buddy came over today to say whass uuupppp.

Showed him the electic and offered him a spin. He said "I'm 240, will this thing break", nah, go ahead, showed him the controls and off he went.

He came back with big smile on face and said, this thing is pretty quick. He was interested until I told him about the $600 battery.

Times are tough.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

Got coffee and then some groceries ice cream, frozen lasagna- almost six mile round trip, completed successfully again-

Kill switch has been acting up- and wasn't shutting off the motor at all when I goit back- thought maybe I'd have to put a new one on- cleaned the connection at the motor mount and re-stripped the wire- when I quickly tested it- it seems that's all it needed.

Getting ready to change 39 sprocket for a 34.