what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

My Paughco Porkster fuel tank came today. I won it on eBay. New with a primer coat on the outside and Kreem coated inside. I've been waiting for it due to needing it to get the dimensions right on my La Cycles(Thai) BigMo. I'm cutting the frame on the top and lower tubes to strech the frame and needed the tank so I can figure the King/Queen seat I'm fab'ing. The tank is real nice with 2 fuel ports, 1 a dummy, and it has tabs out the front and back of the tunnel. I'll be drilling through the frame and spudding the holes so I can bolt through the frame. The tank and tabs will help reinforce the cut and weld job.

I took the dummy gas tank plug off that comes with the Kreem that had been used in the tank. I wanted to feel if there was Kreem inside so I stuck my finger inside and felt it. I also felt the place where it had started to pull off the steel in big strips :( I think the etchant step was skipped or something or it had not been chemically cleaned.

I contacted the seller, we'll see what they do.
Dave have you or anyone else seen these Sportster peanut tanks from Just Gas Tanks.com?

They look interesting but maybe a little too big at 2.4 gallons but $99 is a good price. Sure would dress a bike up though and mounting looks easy enough for almost any frame.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Rode the Mango out to the strip mall and locked it to a handicap sign. Sat down and had a nice breakfast. Walked over to the grocery store and picked up a few items and put them in the basket and rode home.

This is so nice compared to the happy time that I don't see happy getting too much use anymore.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

What's a Mango? Is it a brand of bicycle or motor kit?

I built a camera bracket for my bicycle out of scrap hobby stuff:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Nope, but to me it works fastr.ly. and it's way cheaper, so cheap I can even give it away to friends. I take their flat tubes, and give them a ready tube, while taking the old tubes, to patch them, and inject some tire caulk. I have one friend here who is a slime brand fan, and that is great too. As long as we are riding and not changing flats, I don't worry if they have Slime, home brew, Stans, Briggs & Stratton blue goo, etc. It's all good.

http://shop.bgsengineclinic.com/images/Briggs/BSTek2Sealer.jpg

Its not the real thing..

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Thanks for the link. That looks great. It looks very similar to a SE bike for sale at Nashbar right now. Not necessarily the same, but I like the shape of it a lot, and the fact it uses square-taper cranks gives a lot of crank options (such as shift kit etc)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Nope, but to me it works fastr.ly. and it's way cheaper, so cheap I can even give it away to friends. I take their flat tubes, and give them a ready tube, while taking the old tubes, to patch them, and inject some tire caulk. I have one friend here who is a slime brand fan, and that is great too. As long as we are riding and not changing flats, I don't worry if they have Slime, home brew, Stans, Briggs & Stratton blue goo, etc. It's all good.
I make my own tire slime, from $1 caulk from Walmart, with the same amount of $1 window wash (blue automotive type). I've sealed bike tires, tubes, and lawnmower tubeless tires with the stuff.
From here SLIME - Worldwide Leader in Tire Care - Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant
The bright green liquid, synonymous with Slime, is actually a delivery system for fibers, rubber particles and other sealing agents. As the liquid gets forced out through the puncture it carries along with it the larger puncture repairing ingredients which pack into and seal the hole, preventing air loss.

You made no mention of these particulates.
http://shop.bgsengineclinic.com/images/Briggs/BSTek2Sealer.jpg
I just ran over my second nail all I did was pull it out still riding brodder. Your ho made does not have the tiny particles that slime patented. I have no idea what that pict of stuff is? Looks like repackaged slime would be my first guess? The original stuff is so cheap enough I'll stay right with what I have been running for 40 years now. Have not had a need to research anything else.;) Budget Bicycle Center - Tire and Tube Sealant - By Slime For Sale Online

Right on man! As long as we are not using them patches(^) I forgot what those even look like?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

GH, what hub are you running now?
Cassette type hubs with disk brake mounts. I lost interest in J shafts and gears. I had a Nuvinci Hub that held up real well tho only internal hub I ever tried. I don't like hubs with non alloy type axles that warp/bend. I found I had good luck with chromolly type axles and the quick disconnect hubs. ''no warping axles''. My new all time favorite hub came with my currant boxer.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Dave have you or anyone else seen these Sportster peanut tanks from Just Gas Tanks.com?

They look interesting but maybe a little too big at 2.4 gallons but $99 is a good price. Sure would dress a bike up though and mounting looks easy enough for almost any frame.
Those are nice tanks and with the deep tunnel it can be lowered over the frame until it looks right. It's taller than the Porkster and narrower. The Porkster is wide and fairly flat with a nice tunnel, not too deep but where you can have a reserve, possibly more than a stock China tank holds ;)

There's some nice used Sporty tanks on eBay right now. I think they can be picked up for $50-60.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

That tank has definite possibilities for a dressed up bike.

I just happened to look down at one of my cheap 10 dollar yard sale bike purchases. ''Which I have too many of lying around''. All the spare steel for weird Ideas etc. The bikes do make for great clothes drying racks.laff

The forks at the crown where I am thinking about removing with a hack saw for their gentle curve I need to make a intake manifold for the proposed 24mm carby. Radius measures at from out side edge to edge 29.20mm another set measures at 28.81mm and another measures at 26.75mm.

1.73mm wall thickness from some scrap frame tubing here. Thinking the steel on the forks will be a little thicker walled?

So tubing thickness involved one of these is very close to a inside diameter of 24mm! I need slight elbow bent section of tubing so to speak to match up to said 24mm carburetor and sit level on the bike.

This set up will inevitable belong to my water cooled Morini in the long run. I still need to watch the climate changes this fall verses the hottest part of the summer to make more observations about fine tuning a large carb. Its looking do able the more I sound it out to my self lol.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

nothing really, bro needed the garage to be able to get the car working (head gasket) so bike is shoved in the corner of the garage.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

picked this up from a friend that works at an apartment complex, and a tenant moved out, who built this.

gonna motorize it!

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

That is gonna be cool Skarrd! Could put a good sized diesel in that mug.

Yesterday I lost the retention bolt holding my clutch on the engine drive shaft. So my shoed clutch guts, shot out. I put it back together but might be toast.

I have tried loc-tyte and muffler sealer. They just loosen up eventually. Just one of those things ya gotta watch. Not exactly my long suit. Ya know, paying attention to stuff.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Man, I really enjoy my 4 smokes. The pull up to the pump thing is great, I like the sound and feel. (the so much less vibes)

With all that room you have, could put almost any engine in there. Post lots of pics!

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Would drilling and safety wire help?
That is gonna be cool Skarrd! Could put a good sized diesel in that mug.

Yesterday I lost the retention bolt holding my clutch on the engine drive shaft. So my shoed clutch guts, shot out. I put it back together but might be toast.

I have tried loc-tyte and muffler sealer. They just loosen up eventually. Just one of those things ya gotta watch. Not exactly my long suit. Ya know, paying attention to stuff.