Look Ma another addiction I meant Hobby

GoldenMotor.com

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
Hello to all,
I'm located over here in Arvada, Colorado. I have had many of hobbies, RC planes, cars, Helli's, and boats, Fish tanks, Hot Rod fab, Scuba Diving, these are just a few. I go to the extreme on my hobbies, ya know whats the next thing I can do to it. I saw a bike on craigslist "set the hook" which got me to do some research. I purchased a engine from bikeberry "reel him in" the neighbors kids had 2 OCC choppers "key word had" $50 for both not a bad deal I thought. So here I am reading all the post I can to get info before I start building. There is whole lot of knowledge here. After joining the group I find out that thatsdax is right down the street. I would have went to him for the engine.
If there is any locals on this group I would like to pick there brain and see how this stuff is done

Thanks George

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
George, Welcome to the forum! Is the OCC going to be your first build? They are a little more of a challenge than the average 26" bike frame. If you have access to a good shop it won't be to bad. You will have to build your own motor mount and exhaust, as nothing in the kit will work.
These items can also be purchased on e-bay from a guy named Barry, if you don't have the shop to build them in.
There is a ton of information on this site, plus several members from your area in Colorado, you should be fine.

John

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
Thanks John

Yes the OCC will be the fist build. I have seen the mount on ebay, I just dont like the thought of drilling holes that big in a stressed area. Mounting Ideas are still going through my head. I will post some pics when I get a proto built,and get some input. The one thing that was bothering me was the attachment of the rear sprocket until I looked at Manic Mechanic site and bingo!!! He has the good stuff " Sprocket adapter ". I read the motor mount is 7/8 offset for the size of the rear tire, but will wait for the engine to arrive before making the mount. just need to figure out the tooth count due to the smaller tire.

George

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Thanks John

Yes the OCC will be the fist build. I have seen the mount on ebay, I just dont like the thought of drilling holes that big in a stressed area. Mounting Ideas are still going through my head. I will post some pics when I get a proto built,and get some input. The one thing that was bothering me was the attachment of the rear sprocket until I looked at Manic Mechanic site and bingo!!! He has the good stuff " Sprocket adapter ". I read the motor mount is 7/8 offset for the size of the rear tire, but will wait for the engine to arrive before making the mount. just need to figure out the tooth count due to the smaller tire.

George
That is exactly why I made my own mount. I did not want to drill 3/8" holes through the frame. I made mine so it bolted around the frame with 2 1/2" U clamps.

John

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nash-Opel, (George),
Welcome to the forum. Yes, there are other Colorado guys here. I'm right down Wadsworth from you.(Wadsworth & Ken Caryl) You got it right: Addiction describes this hobby quite well. I started with one just because I was curious, now I have three and have built two for other people. I like to say they're like potato chips in that respect. You can't have just one. Guess that's why you bought both OCCs from your neighbor, huh?. We're all here to help and there is a world of good information and some very knowledgable guys/gals floating around this forum. Keep us informed and if you'd like to get together some time PM me with a phone number.
Tom

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
John
Thanks for the pics, I was planing on c Chanel more of a clamp style.

Tom
Sent you a PM. I would really like to see how to set one of these up right.
Getting someone to look the stuff over before I start building. " the engine kit "
From what I have read, these things come sometimes with out the best quality control.
Thanks George

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey guys,
Nash Opel might be a newbie here but I had a chance to see his work today and you'll all be impressed with his abilities. He has an occ chopper in progress and his approach to an engine mount is cool. Neat, clean and strong, just what the doctor ordered for a good build. We had good afternoon together and I know a good mechanic when I hear one talk and see his work. Can't wait to go cruisin' with this dude. We need more like him.
Tom

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
Thanks Tom
To all the newbies if you have someone with knowable you can get with DO IT. Tom looked over the kit and found the clutch not disengaging correctly. Tom found this quickly and was able to tell me why and how to fix the problem (Which Tom ended up doing Thanks Tom) He also gave me alot of pointers to get me over the learning curve.
Did some searching about the chain. On piston bikes they list the chain as 410, bikeberry where I bought the engine from states it is a 415. After seeing what a 415 looks like I'm gonna say the new kits are coming with a 410 chain. Now to measure the bike and see how much chain I need and get some good stuff.