1st post... Can't get it fired !?

GoldenMotor.com

hagadoja

Dec 26, 2008
Corona, Ca
Been lurking for a week or so. thanks for all the ideas you all have unknowingly helped me with but I still haven't got this thing to fire.... I have a Cruiser with the Raw 80cc completely installed. I just tried riding it and the clutch was rubbing so I fixed that. Now when I release the lever it sounds like it wants to start but nothing happens ?? Where should I start ? How do I check for spark ? It is getting gas cause I drained the float bowl. Any ideas ? Also, does it matter if I extended the wires from the coil to the engine about 6 inches ? that is about the only mod for assembly that I made.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
You can take the plug out and lay it down on the top of the engine and spin the engine over and see if plug sparks. If it doesn't the first thing to try is take the kill switch out. Hook the mag straight to the coil. That's the first thing to try.......................

Oh yea, and Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us......................

hagadoja

Dec 26, 2008
Corona, Ca
You can take the plug out and lay it down on the top of the engine and spin the engine over and see if plug sparks. If it doesn't the first thing to try is take the kill switch out. Hook the mag straight to the coil. That's the first thing to try.......................

I'll try that now.... thanks

hagadoja

Dec 26, 2008
Corona, Ca

ok, disconnected the kill switch NOTHING
checked for spark by removing the sparkplug and laying it on top of motor, turned motor over NOTHING no spark.....

hagadoja

Dec 26, 2008
Corona, Ca
what ground wire?
thanks Hill Climber.... I assumed the white was ground....
Read your reply and a light went off above my head (seriously) it was the hall light but still...
I ran downstairs disconnected the white wire from ground and VOILA I have spark !!!

I was so excited I ran upstairs to share before I went on my maiden voyage !!!

hill climber

Sep 11, 2008
paso robles, california
right on, glad i could help. some use the white wire to run a light and some use it for a kill switch. my recomendation is to just cover it and forget about it. i kill my engines by letting out the clutch slowly. and for light i use a sealed lead acid battery, about 5 amp hours. with a 55 watt driving light and a led tail light i get about an hour of GOOD light.

hagadoja

Dec 26, 2008
Corona, Ca
right on, glad i could help. some use the white wire to run a light and some use it for a kill switch. my recomendation is to just cover it and forget about it. i kill my engines by letting out the clutch slowly. and for light i use a sealed lead acid battery, about 5 amp hours. with a 55 watt driving light and a led tail light i get about an hour of GOOD light.
Awesome it works ! I spent a couple seconds adjusting the rpms and off it went ! just drove it about 2 miles no issues. This thing is pretty cool, thanks for the light tip. I'll post some pics soon !

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think I put 10 miles on it so far.... no issues yet. Has everyone been happy with the chain tensioner ? it looks mighty flimsy ?!? Does it work ok ? Does it last ?
If you have the type with the bearing in it, when properly set up, will last thousands of miles.

I use a skate wheel on some, but I had one that was completely stock and no problems once set up right. One main key is to run the chain with around 3/4" of play, not tight.