Removal and replacement of crankseal

GoldenMotor.com

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
I noticed my clutch slipping very easily today and decided to open the clutch cover. I found that the crankseal behind the small bevel gear completely came out and is resting against the back of the small bevel gear. This led to gas/oil leaking into the clutch and causing the clutch plate to slip a lot. I used a screwdriver to pushed the seal back into place and it seems to be fine. Should I replace the crankseal or is it fine to just push it back in place and leave it at that?

Let's say I decide to replace the seal, how do I remove the small bevel gear? I tried installing the tool, but it doesn't want to thread correctly to the small gear. I am afraid of forcing it and stripping out the threads in the small bevel gear. As for the seal, how do I remove it if it is flush with the crankcase? How do I reinstall the bevel gear once done? wooden board and hammer? or should I screw in the gear puller and hammer on it to seat the bevel gear? Thanks.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
The gear puller is the worse puller I've seen..made out of junk. The threads in the gear itself are much stronger as the it's tempered. I first take a 3 corner file and clean up the threads, and it may not be too late for you to do the same. If it is, you can use a miniature wonder bar or something similar to pry the gear up from beneath (after removing the screw), and driving the shaft out. Removing the seal, pry out with something like a screwdriver. Installing, I'd coat the seal with WD-40 (it's not a oil but a moisture barrier), place on shaft and use a socket that is slightly smaller then the seal and install with a hammer. I use a leather mallet, but a hammer will work.

If you should need a puller contact me. I can loan them out, like loan a tool from Auto Zone/Advance

Last edited: